What's new

Why hasn't there been a new Battletoads game? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
If you're an old-school gamer like myself, you love the frustrating (G** damn the turbo tunnel and snake pit) yet addictive NES game known as Battletoads. Featuring those lovable toads Rash, Zitz and Pimple this game garnered FIVE Nintendo Power awards the year it came out, a new record. There were subsequent releases on Game Boy and SNES and a solid sequel that teamed the toads up with the Lee Brothers from Double Dragon (featuring a MUCH simpler turbo tunnel). My question is, since the series was so popular how come there hasn't been a game since the 16-Bit era? Somebody should give the game creators a BIG BAD BOOT to their rear end to get them going on an updated Battletoads!
MAD BAD AND CRAZY TOADS FOR LIFE!
Anybody that doesn't like Battletoads can KISS MY FIST!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
I played the heck out of Battletoads but could NEVER pass that damned "Snake Pit". What a fun game though! I, too, would love to see a new Battletoads game (on the Xbox of course!)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I just stumbled on the arcade version of this game on my MAME cabinet. I had never played it before but it's a real kick.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
You're right-we DO need a new battletoads game.

That reminds me-I never did finish this game... Made it to the last level a few times (using a few warps), but that's about it. Managed to beat the snake pit a few times, and the turbo tunnel wasn't that bad once you figured it out. That last part did require some zen-like reflexes though.

I think that Rare has their hands full right now though with Kameo, Perfect Dark 0, and Conker (WHY this couldn't have been a NEW conker game, I don't know...).

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Not difficult to see why. Rare is notorious for thier long development cycles (just look at Kameo) and what better way to get some quick content on the Xbox than to remake thier swan song title for the N64 that barely got the audience it deserved. Add in Xbox Live compatibility to boot and you have a situation where the consumer wins, since they are getting a fully remade version of the original (on a platformer starved console. At the same time they get to put thier Xbox live accounts to use as well.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Fully remade? That I didn't know (thought it would just be a port). Really, all they'd have to do is give me one new level and I'd probably buy the game again, but if it's the same content (since I don't subscribe to Live yet) then I might not end up picking it up. Still, it really does need a bigger audience.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just the stupid look on the faces of the 'Toads, used to crack me up.:laugh:

I think it would be awesome to see a completely redone, updated Battletoads. :emoji_thumbsup:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Yep. Conker is being completely remade from the ground up on the Xbox. Its not just a port.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I believe the reason we haven't seen a new Battletoads game is because it's in copyright limbo. Rare doesn't own Battletoads, it belongs to Tradewest, the company that published the games.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

So I've noticed from the screens they posted on IGN the other day. Looks nice, and apparently there's some new content. Looks like another game that I'll own two copies of...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks