What's new

Why don't we get CBC [Canadian Broadcast Corporation] Television in the US? (1 Viewer)

Jason L.

Second Unit
When I lived overseas, I liked watching the BBC World for a non-US perspective on the news as well as their other programming. I would like to catch some of the same from Canada. Aside from the occasional Economist article, Canada is never in the news in the US except for the occasional shooting at a University or a trade dispute over lumber.

So, why can't I get CBC in a land of 500 channels? Does it have to do with hockey TV rights? I believe they don't rebroadcast any US programming so there shouldn't be a conflict. Or perhaps some people get CBC - just not the cable companies that I have subscribed to in the past?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I get BBC World on my PBS station (WNET-NYC) but no CBC... It could just be your cable provider, perhaps some places near the border might get it...don't know... you can always keep prodding your cable provider though (good luck!)

Jay

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We get CBC via Comcast in the Detroit area. Of course, we can also pick it up over the air, too, since the local station is just across the Detroit River in Windsor, Ontario.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The closest thing to the CBC in my area was Newsworld International, which carried some CBC programming, until the network was purchased by Al Gore (yes, that Al) and Joel Hyatt and it was eventually changed to Current TV :thumbsdown: . If one of the other cable or satellite carriers in my area offered CBC, I would make the switch.

I could probably watch BBC World News America @ 7:00 in the evenings, but I still prefer news broadcasts from either CBC or CTV (but never CityTV ;) ).

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Other than a short stint in New Orleans I've never lived in a part of the country where I couldn't pick up a CBC channel. I don't know what I would do without them during Olympic years as their coverage is so far and away superior to the US networks that it isn't even funny.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have CBC on my cable system (Charter). We also get another french language station from Quebec.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks