What's new

Why are 32" displays mostly 720p? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got about 2/3 through that flowchart and forgot where I started. Do they get off the island? Can the future be changed? :)

When TV shopping this year, I came to a dismaying conclusion: You can only buy a TV based on specs and reviews. Window shopping is pointless. Comparing TVs in the store is a futile endeavor. Find the set with the best reviews, lowest price, and most comfortable remote control / menu system and then buy it.

Then absolutely do not go back to the store or look at ads for the next 12 months.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by DaveF Most big name retailers offer a 30-day return policy (or maybe even a price protection policy) -- or longer for holiday shopping season.

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh, yes, of course. Must watch during the post-purchase price-matching window.

And my shopping experience is informed by local stores. The BestBuy had the Kuro mounted 6 feet above eye level, being fed a mediocre signal. Trying to discern the qualities of a 50" Plasma when viewed about 45-deg from below in the well-lit warehouse is pointless. Trying to compare it to the Samsung LCD placed at eye-level 30 feet away even more ridiculous. And judging whether it's a good size my living room in a vast showroom ten-fold larger than my house is madness.

I concluded that personal observations were mostly misleading. This was driven home when, after shopping the big-box stores, my brother-in-law bought an LCD over Plasma because the LCD, to his eyes, had better blacks. By all accounts in reviews and professional commentary, this is a result of comparing in an overlit showroom, and not the typical dim living room.

So I read reviews, asked owners questions online, watched prices, and bought blind.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I followed the chart in Post #39 to-the-letter and made my purchase. [/url]

And here's the new Vizio in place. The only accommodation I needed to make for size was in regard to height. Instead of moving up all the shelving, I removed a fake floor I had built under the set for wires/AC/etc.

You wouldn't think 6" would make that much of a difference (insert inappropriate joke here) but when you are talking about sets of that size, the difference is really substantial. The picture looks great. My main sources are a Panny BD-10 Blu-ray player and a Dish Network HD signal. So many people here insisted I should get a 1080p set (even though many claim 720p vs. 1080p on a set this size is negligible) and I'm glad I did because the Blu-ray images have been spectacular. Yes, even my wife says she "sees a real difference."

It being the holidays, I haven't yet had the time to take out my DVE HD disc and start tweaking any settings yet...but that is something I look forward to once I get some time off. I am amazed at how nice the image is "out of the box."

Thanks, again, to all.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Was the pink your choice, your wife's, or it is a color anomaly due to the camera?

It's like something out of a John Mellencamp song -- "little pink TV houses for you and me".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interestingly (or maybe not so), I grew up in a pink house. My parents still live in it. Everytime my dad went to paint the cedar siding, we kids would beg him to select another color, but he's always wanted it to be pink. I don't know why.

Anyway, Hanson...the camera flash has bleached the color a bit. It's more of a country/rustic red. Not quite as deep a red as you'd see on a barn exterior. Here's a shot taken without a flash. There was minor incandescent lighting so it's a little dark. Still not a great representation of the color...but closer to the right idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks