What's new

Who still subscribes to newspapers/magazines? (1 Viewer)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Still get the local rag (KC Star) and several HT related magazines.

On-line articles tend to be shorter and lack depth and I can't sit back in an easy chair and read a magazine on the internet.

I have yet to find a magazine or newpaper related website that is as in-depth or as simple to read as the hard copy.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We subscribe to the Sunday paper but don't fully 'read' it. I'll flip through it and read whatever I might find interesting. I asked my wife recently if we should cancel it but she really likes flipping through the ads at breakfast on Sunday so it remains. I get my news from local broadcast, radio, Google news, and I'll put CNN on while exercising.

As for magazines, I subscribe to Consumer Reports. I used to get PC Magazine, but, as someone mentioned above, it went all digital earlier this year and I now have no use for it. If I wanted a digital magazine I wouldn't even bother paying, I'd visit the website. I tried to transfer my subscription to Maximum PC but it's been six months and a dozen emails and they just keep jerking me around.

It's a terrible thing seeing all of these newspapers go under. Whenever I hear of one I visit it's website and look the the retrospectives of it's history. But I think we are long past the days when my dad would come home for work and sit in the living room and read the paper cover to cover.

LewB

Screenwriter
I still have a sub to the local newspaper because I'm not coordinated enough to deal with my laptop while I'm in the stall at work (TMI, I know :eek: ).
I still have subs to Home Theater, Sound and Vision, This Old House and Consumer Reports magazines.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is an exception for me: I quit my CR magazine subscription because the online service is so much better for me. I realized that I don't need CR except when I want to research an upcoming purchase. Then, I want to go online and immediately get the information, rather than searching my magazines and hope I have the issue I need.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I stopped subscribing to newspapers and magazines quite a few years ago. My hometown newspaper (the Rocky Mountain News) died this year, and I have no use for the likes of the LA Times. I have fond memories of the music and equipment reviews in the old Stereo Review, but the current Sound and Vision is nowhere near its equal. I can get much more useful information over the Net. The same goes for TV news, which is useful only for live coverage of big breaking news events (and I don't mean high speed car chases). Some view the death of newspapers as some sort of crisis, but I view it as an evolutionary change. Embrace the future already.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't like video/TV news as it takes too long to get detailed information. (A pet peeve of mine, and growing, is CNN's use of video news. But because it's free I can't get properly ticked about it.)

I still subscribe to the city paper (Phila Inquirer) partially because if the detailed info, partially because I don't want to see it go under, and mostly for the local sport news. Go Phillies!

I only get Time delivered, I like it, but everything I need is free on-line. It's mostly a hold over from when my daughter sold subscriptions for the Girl Scouts. It does serve the bathroom factor though.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I get my news from internet web sites and I also do not like the videos for basically the same reasons I don't watch the news on TV. First is the ads. Second is too much fluff. When reading I can skip stuff I already know or don't feel is important. The third reason I don't like the videos, is I work in an open office environment and I don't want everyone else knowing that I am browsing the web. :P Reading is quite. ;)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I try to pick up the Sunday newspaper but most of it goes unread. I blame my kids for this, they take up a lot of my leisure time. I don't subscribe to any magazines but buy Cemetery Dance and Horror Hound off the rack when I see them. Once again, I used to read more but blame the kids. When they get older (they're 1.5 and 3.5) I may find time again but I'm out of the habit for now.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Hear, hear! You and I disagree a bit about Star Wars, but I'm onboard with the rest of your posts. :cool:

Got my Wild West magazine in the mail today.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I subscribe to the following magazines:

American Photo
Antiques
Art in America
Automobile
Baseball Digest
Blender
Business Week
Car and Driver
Computer Shopper
Discover
ESPN: The Magazine
Fast Company
Flying
Forbes
Golf Digest
Mad Magazine
Maxim
Motor Trend
Newsweek
PC World
Road and Track
Robb Report
SEED
Shape
Slam
Smithsonian
Sound and Vision
Sports Illustrated
Tennis
TV Guide
U.S. News and World Report
Wired
Yacht International

I don't pay for any of them except for SI ($40 for 84 issues) and ESPN ($12 for 4 years).

I also subscribe to my local newspaper (Muskegon Chronicle) and will bring home USA Today if a customer at work leaves their copy in the store.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Get the local paper - Richmond Times-Dispatch delivered 7 days a week.

Habit from growing up, I guess. My Dad reads the PGH Post-Gazette front to back and gets ticked when my Mom takes the papers down before he finished. He was reading Wednesday on Saturday the other day.

I am not that bad, will take the paper to work to read at lunch. It's not quite the same sitting down with the laptop and a cup of coffee when compared to the paper.

Magazines - mostly Car stuff.
Car & Driver
Corvette Enthusiast
Roundel
Parents - Wife's
Businessweek

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I can't remember a time when I didn't receive a daily paper. But if I was still living in Detroit I think I would have bailed when the Freep pulled their little stunt of punishing their most steadfast supporters by cutting home delivery to three days per week.

I pay for two magazine subscriptions (Video Watchdog and European Cigar Cult Journal) and receive about 15 others for free thanks to the free magazines thread over at DVDTalk.

But I agree that the future does not look bright and if the recent transformations are any indication (Newsweek, The Sporting News) then it seems that some publishers are determined to hasten their own demise.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I recycle the newspapers and save the magazines for when my high school does a paper/magazine drive.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
How are you getting all those mags for free?

Currently I don't sub to any papers or mags. Why bother with the inks that get all over your hands, and the paper never folds properly?

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
The local paper here (Watertown Daily Times) is a joke. National Geographic and Smithsonian for magazines. I used to get Sports Illustrated until it turned into a "not as hip but we try" version of ESPN The Mag. UGH!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I subscribe to ESPN the Magazine, but that's only because it includes a free subscription to ESPN.com's premium Insider service. I got a deal at Amazon for a 2-year subscription to the magazine/Insider for about half what a 1-year Insider subscription costs, so I went for it. I'll occasionally read the magazine, but I mainly use the subscription for the online stuff. So does that count as subscribing to a magazine? I physically get the magazine, even if I don't always read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks