What's new

What words that people mis-pronounce that drive you nuts? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
fxrh said:
I don't know if it's rude either -- so I'll risk being rude and embarrass you! :)
Sam, nothing rude about it. I think like Russell G mentioned, it's simply dialects and accents from different areas of the world. Nobody is wrong or right, it's just how they learned to speak from where they lived. Watching a lot more international TV, I've become accustomed to different accents and dialects that don't bother me at all. There are just those few pet peeves, from people you know grew up near you that drive me crazy. As in the above mentioned pitcher/picture, where do they pick that up, certainly wasn't taught in school? We're all unique and I enjoy hearing different accents and dialects from all over, but sometimes you know that they're just plain affectations or bad schooling. My father remarried to a woman from the northeastern US and it's fascinating to hear her speak, major accent but she still pronounces words correctly. This could probably be an endless discussion, but it's interesting to read different points of view on the subject,

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I don't even live in the country, but when people pronounce the state name, Massachusetts, as Massatushets, I cringe. Of course, supposebly has to be the #1 offender.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
RyanAn said:
I ALWAYS say "O-bit-uary" not "O-bitch-uary" and "li-brary" not "li-bary." When did they add bitch to obituary?
U.S English pronunciation of Obituary according to Oxford dictionary: ōˈbiCHo͞oˌerē/. The "t" is modified to a soft "ch", not a hard "t"; therefore, pronouncing it o-BIT-oo-ere is incorrect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks