What's new

What Projector to buy in 2016 for Cat-Fisch Cinema? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To plan my basement media room, the Cat-Fisch Cinema, I should buy the projector sooner than later, ahead of detailed planning of furniture and seating. I've never had a projector before, and basically no first-hand experience with media-rooms / home theaters. I need to play with the projector to see how it behaves and looks to make an informed decision what screen size, projection distance, and seating location to plan around.

I was hoping to stay in the doodle-space of planning a while longer, but I need to change to projector shopping.

I've ruled 4k out. Entry price is $8000, with the Epson LS10000 and it's pseudo-4k. Getting true 4k is $10,000 for the Sony's. And neither supports HDR, to my understanding.

My budget is $5000, with $3000 preferred. I want to buy a good 1080p projector, ostensibly to upgrade when a 100" 4k display is available for $5000 (I'm technology agnostic; who knows whether projectors or direct displays will get there first).

What I'd hope to accomplish:

• 100" to 120" 16:9 image for TV & video games in a light-controlled room.
  • Memory-driven zoom / lens shift / brightness change to fake CIH of 2:35 for movies (using a manually masked 2.35 screen)
  • Projector is ~14' from screen
  • Low lag for gaming desired

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
David my screen is 121" diagonal and is 15 feet from the Epson 5010 3D projector.

I use as constant height screen (because of projecting 35mm film) for 2:35 and 1:85 with side movable masking. The Epson 5010 will zoom to PERFECTLY fit both formats as well as 1:33 although my masking won't do the square box format. The picture is bright and the 3D works very well.

If memory serves me correctly I paid roughly $2,400 a couple of years ago for the 5010. There are several other Epson units better than the 5010 including the 6030 for around $2,800.

I've had good luck with my Epson but it's the only brand I've had experience with.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are budgeting "up to $5000"...

No way in the world would I even bother with LCD projectors.

DLP(Mits or BenQ) or Sony/JVC.

A refurb Sony or JVC is what I would hunt down.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If you've never worked with a projector before.....

I'd go cheap as a "learning experience". This will prevent you from making mistakes in the future.

For $550 you could buy this and later resell it.....

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00MK39P92/

I played around as a contractor with projectors for many years before buying one for personal use.

Right now I'm broke so my old 720P DLP Optoma HD-72 will do....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DFurr said:
David my screen is 121" diagonal and is 15 feet from the Epson 5010 3D projector.

I use as constant height screen (because of projecting 35mm film) for 2:35 and 1:85 with side movable masking. The Epson 5010 will zoom to PERFECTLY fit both formats as well as 1:33 although my masking won't do the square box format. The picture is bright and the 3D works very well.

If memory serves me correctly I paid roughly $2,400 a couple of years ago for the 5010. There are several other Epson units better than the 5010 including the 6030 for around $2,800.

I've had good luck with my Epson but it's the only brand I've had experience with.

Very cool. Sounds like you have the setup I'm hoping for. When you zoom the projector to go from 16:9 to 2.35:1, is it a manual process or is 'push a preset button and the projector makes the changes'?

Also, recommendations on the maskable screen, whether purchased or DIY?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
Epson 5030 for $2500 and save for 4k
The 5030 / 6030 models get a lot of praise. Despite the grinding-gear issue, I have to consider it. And I don't have to spend $3000 :) Coming below that budget is fine.

schan1269 said:
If you are budgeting "up to $5000"...

No way in the world would I even bother with LCD projectors.

DLP(Mits or BenQ) or Sony/JVC.

A refurb Sony or JVC is what I would hunt down.
Any specific recommendations? I don't know the different technologies. Last time I saw a DLP projector, the rainbows were obvious. But they've probably improved a lot since then.

I forgot a goal for my projector: lag low enough for gaming on my PS4. Though if need be, the gaming can stay in the living room on the 50" Plasma. (Long term, I might be able to install a supplemental direct-view TV in the basement for games, but not this year.)

Also, this projector will not be a "special occasion" setup. I expect this to be used nightly for TV. I'll guess 15-20 hours a week of use, if that matters in selecting a projector.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dennis Nicholls said:
If you've never worked with a projector before.....

I'd go cheap as a "learning experience". This will prevent you from making mistakes in the future.

For $550 you could buy this and later resell it.....

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00MK39P92/

I played around as a contractor with projectors for many years before buying one for personal use.

Right now I'm broke so my old 720P DLP Optoma HD-72 will do....
I appreciate the practical wisdom in your recommendation. But being honest with myself, I won't heed it :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have an Epson 5030. It has manual adjustments for the zoom and lens shift, but they're super easy to use.

My fiancé has used it with her PS3 and PS4 and hasn't observed any lag. There's even a setting for a faster refresh for gaming but she didn't need it.

I use mine nightly, had it for a year and a half and no troubles to report. Performs just as well now as the day I bought it.

I've never had to contact Epson for anything about this particular model. About ten years ago I bought a standard definition projector from them, and I had a billing/shipping issue (not a technical issue) when I ordered - it never arrived (package stolen) but because it was on clearance, they were out of stock. They refunded me instantly, and when I was able to get that model from another seller, they sent me a complimentary replacement bulb and some free ink cartridges for my printer. Top notch customer service. So if you ever have reason to need them, and my guess is you won't, they were great.

If you've got any questions about this model I'd be happy to answer them for you as best I can.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I suggest something for under $1000. There are a lot of great machines (DLP and LCD) out there in this range.

Affordable 4K is coming soon.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
DaveF said:
Very cool. Sounds like you have the setup I'm hoping for. When you zoom the projector to go from 16:9 to 2.35:1, is it a manual process or is 'push a preset button and the projector makes the changes'?

Also, recommendations on the maskable screen, whether purchased or DIY?
Unfortunately the 5010 has a manual zoom. At first I didn't like the burden of having to change the format between scope and flat but I'm use to it now. I also like the way the 5010 automatically switches to max brightness when it detects a 3D Blu Ray.

The masking was a DIY. My automation calls for the masking motors to go to the proper format when it's programmed so it's a no-hassle conversion between flat and scope (sorry I can't get use to the term..."16.9")

You can certainly spend a lot more money and purchase a DLP projector but I'd rather use that money to invest in things like automation, travel curtains, light dimmers and seating. However, if you purchase a DLP, make SURE you purchase the best warranty you can afford. You're going to need it.

Best of luck to you with your purchases and please share your decisions!!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I would recommend looking at the Panasonic PT-AE8000. I have one in my home theater and am very pleased with it. It features 3D and motorized zoom memory for easy CIH shifts from "flat" to "CinemaScope". (I have also stored optimal zoom settings for 70mm, and for the Cinerama smilebox Blu-Rays).

Possible drawbacks for you based on your wish list: Its lag time in Game mode is 34 milliseconds - not being a gamer, I'm not sure if that would be good enough for you. Also, while the zoom is motorized, the lens shift is not, although I only used that feature once, when initially setting up the projector. Similarly, there isn't an automatic brightness change feature that I am aware of, although you'll probably want to take your lamp out of "eco(nomy)" mode when projecting 3D. However, I don't need to change the brightness when zooming from flat to CinemaScope.

The projector is widely available for $1,699.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The sony is nice but I seriously would not spend $4k on a 1080p device in 2016. You will be kicking yourself soooo soon. I bought my PJ in 2013 and I'm dying for a 4k PJ today.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ultimately it comes down to your preferences and how much money you feel comfortable spending, but I echo Sam Posten's sentiment that it's not worth spending $4000 on a 1080p projector these days. Especially if you think you might go 4K in a couple years. Is there a store near you that carries one or both that you can demo some stuff on? The Magnolia parts of Best Buy near me in NY had the Epson 5030 on display, so I was able to take a look at the projector in action. If not, there are some websites (I think ProjectorPeople is one of them) that will accept returns as long as you've used it less than a certain number of hours - so you might even have the ability to order the one you think you want, and then change your mind if it doesn't look like you hoped.

On a previous thread, I believe I had read that you were on the fence between spending big on a 4K projector now, or spending less on a 1080p and upgrading in a few years. There's no wrong answer of course, but if it were my money and I was starting from scratch, I'd be inclined to get the Epson (or something similarly priced now), and then do 4K in a few years when it's more affordable and all of the specs have been finalized and there's a better idea of how well UHD BD adoption is doing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've moved off the fence and I'm decided on 1080p for 2016 and hope to upgrade to 4K when I can 100" for under $5000. I'm guessing that 2-3 years away.

The Sony looks like top of class, but it's double the Epson's cost. But it's half the price of a 4K. I don't know how I'll feel until I've seen them in action.

My worry, is that I've had a Kuro since 2009, and I may not enjoy a projector that's significantly lower contrast. Depending on what I see, that could conceivably drive me to something like the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks