What's new

What projector should I buy? (1 Viewer)

JohnI

Grip
First off thanks for the help you guys provide! I want a 3D 1080p 16:9 projector. I saw an epson powerlite 3010 and it blew me away so now I must have one too. I'm looking to spend as little as possible to achieve decent/good performance. It doesn't have to be as perfect as the 3010 but I want it to look decent.. Hoping to spend well under a grand if possible. Here is my info. .

I want the final picture to be about 84" diagonal screen size. "40" x 70")

For now I will just use my white walls as the screen,

The projector needs to be ceiling mounted.

From back wall to front wall it is 13 feet and 4 inches so throw distance could be roughly that minus the size of the projector itself.

I do not need built in speakers.

It only needs one hdmi input as my receiver has several in and one out.

We already close the blinds most of the time when we watch tv so the room can be unlit or lit.

I could probably purchase the glasses later to save on initial cost.

I don't mind buying used if I have to. Is that a bad idea with projectors?

It will be mostly used for tv series and movies. We almost never watch sports.

Any ideas? I've seen some no name brand stuff on ebay. Any of it a good bargain?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To put your goal into perspective. The BenQ 1070 is your cost, but to do 84" at full stretch still only needs 9' to do 84. (12' throw nets you no smaller than 110")

The Epson 3020 can do 84" at 13'(well 12') but it is $1500.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Im on my 6th used projector, not one has failed me (not even a little). Some have a phobia of buying anything used, Im obviously not one of them people. Used is always a risk but that risk can easily be mitigated by purchasing from reputable sources, asking the right questions and preferably checking the item out in person before purchase.

You might have to hunt to find a projector that fills your specific needs, and is in your price range, but they are out there...

Heres a "like new" 3020 in the Vegas area for $800...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/4074398078.html

JohnI

Grip
schan1269 said:
To put your goal into perspective. The BenQ 1070 is your cost, but to do 84" at full stretch still only needs 9' to do 84. (12' throw nets you no smaller than 110")

The Epson 3020 can do 84" at 13'(well 12') but it is $1500.
So you're saying I have too far of a throw distance? Couldn't I just move the projector closer? It's ceiling mounted anyways. Is there something I'm missing? Does that degrade the picture quality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you will need to place it where, on the ceiling, that it will produce the 84" picture. The closer toward the front you get....the better the picture(usually).

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The closer toward the front you get....the better the picture(usually).
Actually the OPPOSITE is true. As the image gets smaller going through the lense the crisper the image will become. Larger throw distances are ALWAYS desireable. The only time to compromise on longer vs shorter throw distance is when light output is of a concern. as in some cheaper optical systems, a shorter throw will produce a brighter image. This is always at the expense of sharpness.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was going after the idea in his case because...

He is going for an absurdly long throw for an 84" image. Shortening up the distance on 84"(which opens up more projectors as well) is more advantageous.

Not every "projection rule" fits every single room.

JohnI

Grip
So what's the lowest I can pay for something that will produce a reasonable 3d 1080p picture at a throw distance of about 12.5 feet or less and a screen size of about 84"? Is this just not enough of a throw distance to get a good pic?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your problem is too much throw.

And I already answered the question with the Epson 3020. It is the only projector...at all, that meets your goals if you can move up to its price. Every single other projector, as in ALL OF THEM that can accommodate your goal cost more.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
So what's the lowest I can pay for something that will produce a reasonable 3d 1080p picture at a throw distance of about 12.5 feet or less and a screen size of about 84"? Is this just not enough of a throw distance to get a good pic?
Your problem is your throw distance and small screen size is limiting your projector options. Why such a small screen size? You need to shorten your throw and/or increase screen size.

JohnI

Grip
But I can shorten my throw!! The projector can be mounted anywhere from 3 ft from the screen to 12.5 ft.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
If you don't mind LCD, the Epson 8345 will work. For an 84" diagonal screen, the lens needs to be between 8' and 17' from screen.For DLP, I recommend the W1070. The lens would need to be between 7' and 9'2" from screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks