What's new

What Paramount Universal and DreamWorks titles are you waiting for to go Blu? (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
The potential list is almost too huge to contemplate. I'd be satisfied, and we'd be lucky, too see any of the A-list or highest quality movies already released on HD DVD. That will be contest enough. In that category, 'Into the Wild' ranks high on my list.

But really...this is evidently going to be a very long, very sparse road. Let's have anything that isn't an empty headed catalogue title. The list of potentials, especially when you get into the "never been released on HDM" arena, is just too damn big, even paring down to the best.

Incidentally, I'm already Blu...or, Purple...but no less eager for quality discs, even the few that I would re-purchase in BD. From the state of things so far, we're not going to see anything resembling a flood, from any of these studios.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
If Paramount is smart, they should at least get some really big catalog stuff and new stuff out there before the end of the year. This will be the Christmas of blu-ray, and just a handful of titles could help, like:

There Will Be Blood
Sweeney Todd
Transformers*
Top Gun*
Face/Off*
Forrest Gump
Saving Private Ryan
Jack Ryan Collection*
Apocalypse Now Redux
Braveheart
The Godfather (Restored)

Now, that's only 11 titles, *4 of which (including the Jack Ryan collection) are believed to have already been authored. I think it's a reasonable release slate before Christmas '08.

Notice I didn't add Indiana Jones, despite the obvious tie-in potential. That's because they belong to Lucasfilm, and we know how they are about releasing films on a new format. Expect the blu-rays in 2014 at the earliest.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Forrest Gump's 15th anniversary is next year, which is hard to believe. Maybe they're holding it for then. As long as they don't screw it up I'd snap it up in a second.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
For Paramount -
Days Of Heaven
Tucker: The Man And His Dream
Pretty Baby
Apocolypse Now
Grease
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Barbarella
Prophecy (no way in hell it'll ever happen...but I would still love to see it)

For Universal-
Jaws + Jaws 2
Flash Gordon
The Blues Brothers
Sorcerer
The Doug Sirk melodramas
Battlestar Galactica (2003-)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Since I have both HD DVD and Blu-ray, I am pulling for titles that aren't out on HD DVD. I want Spielberg, the Godfather Trilogy, and any of the other great catalog titles from these studios.

Chris

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I agree wholeheartedly in this regard. Technically I'm "Purple" with my stance still red more due to the fact I have the HDDVD player in my house compared to having to watch Blu on a friends PS3.
I import alot so I figure I may as well start importing HDDVD's which are Blu exclusive here. Oh, and alot of them have better transfers/encodes since they don't use the MPEG2 codec which should only be used for DVD's. Why it's still used for HD discs I have no clue as to why except it's in the "spec" list. Damn codec is over 10 years old and the aforementioned new ones are more efficient with HD content.
So for now, I'll only be buying Blu's which are 100% exclusive meaning nothing which isn't on HDDVD in another country. Trust me, I'd much rather import an HDDVD which ports over tons of extras compared to a local Blu which doesn't have jack and shit and a whole lot less shit.;) Lossless audio is also a plus but I don't even have a receiver which supports them yet!:eek: Gonna be upgrading to the Onkyo TX-SR705 or higher down the line.:crazy:

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

Mr Rogers I don't want you to feel like I'm following you around on these threads but where did you here that total load of garbage about mpeg2 on Blu Ray? that is so the beggining of the format war. I have over 50 blu rays and only one uses the mpeg2 codec that's 'Stealth' yeah I know load of rubbish but it is my guilty pleasure and I also know that it was a very early blu release.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Hell, the only Blu I own, BLACK HAWK DOWN, is MPEG2 and it still looks very good. Very filmlike recreation of the movie. High grain and all. FOX still seems to be the big offender still using the archaic MPEG2 on their Blu's. My suggestion is go to DVDCompare.net and you'll also see alot of Paramount titles using MPEG2 while for some strange reason why the HDDVD's use either AVC or VC1. These aren't for all titles mind you but there's a startling number. Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut on BD is MPEG2 but is BD50 which I'm wanting to buy. Seeing it's pointless as to why don't the film studios just use AVC or VC1 on their encodes for the film transfer and scrap MPEG2?
So what I've said are my current guidlines for film titles they'll be releasing which aren't on HDDVD. Since I won't be double dipping on Blu unless there's a significant quality increase and/or lossless ORIGINAL audio. Let's face it, FOX will be the largest offender when it comes to double dipping on Blu.
All the titles I listed still stand, regardless of the films age.:crazy: Apologies for the long rant.

EDIT: Um, I've never seen STEALTH so it's alrighty I guess.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Yer welcome!:D Sorry if I seem to come off as rambling or carrying-on in my posts. Just feel the need to explain things as best I can. And what I said in that post was what I should've explained in one of my previous posts in this thread. But due to my small fontage, people would complain of eyestrain and such so I keep it to a minimum of 3-4 and on the rare occasion 5 paragraphs.
Still techinically Purple but not officially. I go over to my best friends house to watch BD's on his PS3. Also waiting for stand-alone profile 2.0 players to come out and be more affordable for my HT budget. In other words, I won't be buying not as many Blu compared to HDDVD. How come, random people ask? I have the HDDVD player in my own house and it's more due to convenience then anything. Yeah, I know HDDVD is dead, but that still doesn't prohibit me buying movies on the format. If it's on HD regardless of format and looks and sounds like how the film is intended to look, also with a good price of course, I'll buy it. Obviously research comes into play too so yeah.
Another list MAYBE to be later. What is it with me and making lists?:crazy:

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Movies previously released on HD DVD:

American Gangster (a proper edition with the extended cut)
Carlito's Way
The Thing

The new movies I would most like to see:

Apocalypse Now (OAR please!)
Gladiator
The Godfather Trilogy
Once Upon a Time in the West
Scarface

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I see their is a French Blu-ray of the David Lynch Dune (theatrical version only). I wonder if a US Blu-ray would be in the offing? Course this is the same Universal that put out an almost SE DVD, of Flash Gordon, like 5 years after the French 2 disc DVD.

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Although this wasn't originally released on HD DVD, Gladiator would be quite impressive when it is eventually released on BD. Of those that were originally on HD DVD, Transformers and Heroes S1 are my top picks.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Universal has always been uneven in catalog titles. A favorite of mine is The Seven Percent Solution, which was their very first DVD title released in horrible P&S through Image. It would be nice if they would release a clean BRD copy soon.

Also I agree - Out of Africa begs for a BRD release. Please, no more "car crash" and "teenage slasher" films - we have altogether too many of those already. :rolleyes:I can afford to wait for "Rambo vs. Predator" films.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Heroes and Thransformers are August and September. I can probably talk now due to the end of the format war, but in my conversation with Universal executives I learned that Gladiator was being prepped for HD DVD release. The last time I talked to them about it was late December and a new transfer had been done and they were waiting for director approval on the transfer (before it went to encoding). Since the switch to BD, I haven't heard anything, but I'm sure they won't waste this new transfer and we will see it released sooner (within a year) rather than later.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
TREMORS....is such a poor quality DVD, i hope that it might be released on Blue soon....esp. since it has been released on HD.
Here's hoping!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks