What's new

What are the differences between The Rock and the Criterion Edition (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Wow, I sure am getting a lot replies to this thread! I bought it Friday online. I'll let you know how I like it. Obviously it won't be a comparison, but I'll still know whether or not I like the transfer.

When you guys are talking about the DTS soundtracks not going as low in the low end, what do you mean? I liked the DTS soundtrack on Pearl Harbor better (IMO)but my sub I believe doesn't do below 30 HZ very good. I am upgrading soon with an SVS product. When I am able to hear and feel the

Devin U

Second Unit
The only thing I dont like about it is the menues. I have had to go down to a 20 in tv and can hardly see what I am selecting.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well, I bought the Criterion Edition of "The Rock" and I am extremely happy with it. The picture is beautiful and the sound was great. I liked the DD soundtrack better, though. Usually I side the other way. I am glad I asked you guys about this or I would have bought the normal version of the movie to save some cash.

That pretty much takes care of my LD collection. I don't need to bring them out anymore since I have all of them on DVD now. I bought Dante's Peak DTS in the same order. Although, I think my LD sounds better, especially during the final explosion when glass breaking sound effects happen. I don't get it, because my LD player doesn't have DD output so I watch it in Pro-Logic. Is it just me?

Thanks again everyone.
George

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
No George it's not you,
Many of us like the PCM LD soundtracks more than some of the DD 5.1 tracks......... (right??):)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I got The Rock Criterion, but I too feel the DTS laserdisc (which I also own) has the best soundtrack presentation of this film so far. HARD AS A ROCK!! :D

Now, if only I could synch up the LD's full bitrate DTS track with the video on the DVD...

Dan

greg_t

Screenwriter
Just a sidenote, the bitrate on DTS LD is 1234KBPS, so it is not actually the full 1509 or so from DTS DVD.

Evan Case

Screenwriter

Same thing happened to me (total freezeup at and after the layer change). It worked the first time I watched it, but when I tried it a year later it had suddenly stopped working. However, when I emailed Criterion they said they couldn't replace it (despite my having the receipt) and to check with the dealer. Of course, the dealer said no, as it had been almost a year since the purchase. So I've been stuck with a malfunctioning $35 Rock for a long time now. Maybe if I email again, they'll allow me to exchange it this time. I sure hope so.

On topic, the CC edition is great (my glitch aside). This is one of the few action blockbusters from the 90s I actually like--mainly due to the teaming of Cage and Connery, and some strong work from Ed Harris.

Evan

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
greg_t,

Semantics! :)

That's full bitrate for DTS on laserdisc. ~1.5 Megabits/sec is full bitrate for DVD. They seemingly used a much better master (perhaps the archival master?) for the laserdisc-- the dynamic range and side wall imaging are at full throttle!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks