What's new

Wega owners, how do you watch aspect ratios 1.77:1 & lower? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I was watching Sopranos season 2 the other day and 10 minutes into the episode I noticed that people had a slight squashed look about them. At first I wondered why this would be and then I remembered that the Sopranos is shot at 1.77:1 and the Wega's 16x9 mode defaults at 1.85:1. So because the Wega can't squeeze properly, I was watching this at 1.85:1. Well no wonder.

Does anyone here set their DVD players to 4x3 mode when viewing material under 1.85:1? My only other alternative is to go into the service menu.

I don't understand why Sony is still releasing the Wega with a half-ass 16x9 mode.

Jeff

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the subject matter is not HDTV and not 16:9 enhanced anamorphic, use the 4:3 mode.
Only exactly 16:9 and exactly 4:3 are standard TV aspect ratio settings. If your TV's picture doesn't measure 1.77:1 when in 16:9 mode, (a) there is overscan cropping off the sides so what is left looks like a more squarish aspect ratio, or (b) the TV is not calibrated correctly. Also the source material might have been squished slightly during production and could be corrected only if you have a continuously variable aspect ratio adjustment for custom fine tuning.
More video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Chuck, thanks for the link. I've tried that but the ASP on my Wega (32FS12) changes regular TV as well. I'll try it again just to be sure though.

Allan, thanks for the info.

Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Yeah, ASP is no good, it affects 4x3 viewing. I hear ASP1 does the trick but my Wega doesn't have it! :frowning: Which Wegas do?
Jeff

Jeff,

I also just finished season 2 of the Sopranos. Switching between 4x3 and 16x9 in the dvd player showed that I was missing some screen information in 16x9 mode. The picture didn't look squashed, when comparing letterboxed to 16x9 enhanced, just less picture.

I have a KV36XBR450, which I finally received a good one after three tries. In that time I have learned my way around the service menu pretty well. Well back to my fix. First thing I did was get my picture centered vertically with a test pattern. You will need to find the deflection controls. They are located under 2150D-3 for the XBR. The TBLK and BBLK can adjust the vertical blanking top and bottom. I took horizontal and vertical measurements and adjusted the blanking until in measured 1.78:1 or 16:9. See if this helps you out.

Mike

Jeff

Supporting Actor
No tblk or bblk on mine. I have hblk, lblk, rblk, vblk.

Me thinks I'm going to have to ditch my Wega. After viewing my Dads Panasonic Tau over the holidays, it looks like crap now. I can't stand the scan lines anymore! AH! Atleast they are absent with 16x9 viewing but I can't fix the geometry since what ever I do affects 4x3 viewing. I don't know what Sony was thinking when they designed the 16x9 mode on this.

And no, I'm not getting the Tau. The red push alone is a no sale.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks