What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-11-2007 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix on Blu (No Combo Please) and Bourne on HD-DVD. I'd like Big Love and Gomer but with Xmas those will have to wait to use Xmas Giftcards in the New Year.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I believe that "The Song Remains the Same" comes out on HD-DVD Tuesday. Does anyone know if there will be any specials on that?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Not sure about that Rich. Amazon has it's release indefinitely postponed (with one of it's 12-31-2010 release dates). Best Buy still lists it for 12-11-07 @ $24.99. Circuit City still lists it for 12-11-07 @ $28.99.

Let us know if you find it anywhere.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
So what's the big difference between The Bourne Ultimatum SE (Best Buy) and The Bourne Ultimatum DE (Target) and why would I get these over the standard version? Is there extra content that is really worth it?

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
Thanks for the info again guys,

Mike, thanks for showing some love for Two Lane Blacktop, a favorite of mine, and I got my copy last week, sweeeet!

Question: both Harry Potter and Bourne Ultimatum 2 discers are marketed as having "bonus footage", they are not actually longer versions, just bonus material on the second disc, right?

I hate marketing gimmicks!!!!

LCD22

Screenwriter
Best Buy has an exclusive bonus disc with The Jason Bourne Collection. They're carrying over the following extras from the R2 The Ultimate Bourne Collection: Limited Edition.

Big City Action
The Evolution of Nicky
Moby "Extreme Ways (Bourne’s Ultimatum)" Music Video

The fourth disc (not the Best Buy exclusive) contains:

The Ludlum Identity
The Ludlum Supremacy
The Ludlum Ultimatum
Theatrical Trailers

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/det...=46174&dm=true

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
I'm beginning to hate retailer exclusives to the point of contemplating not buying ANYTHING AT ALL that has some sort of retailer exclusive. And I'm tired of bloated gift sets too.

Best Buy's Bourne Ultimatium exclusive — "40 minutes of additional footage" — well would it kill them to tell us 40 minutes of additional footage OF WHAT! I could care less about the seelbook packaging. And that 40 minutes of additional content for Ultimatium — is any of it from the Jason Bourne Collection 4-disc set that has all three movies and a 4th disc of content?

At least I was able to Google the Target Harry Potter exclusive bonus and find out that it is a featurette from the French editition of the DVD devoted to the set design.

Amazon has listed the content of the Bonus Disc from the huge trunk box gift set:

3 Hours of Special Content

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
2001 International TV Special: A Glimpse Into the World of Harry Potter Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
2002 HBO First Look Special: Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets Revealed

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
2004 HBO First Look Special: Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban: Something Wicked This Way Comes
2004 ABC Special: The Making of Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban Interview with Alfonso Cuaron (in Spanish, subtitled)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2005 ITV/Granada Special: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire: Behind the Magic
2005 ITV/Granada Special: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire: Some Animal Magic
2005 HBO First Look Special: Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire: Dark Matters, New Masters

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
2007 International TV Special: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix: The Rebellion Begins
2007 HBO First Look Special: Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix: Fulfilling a Prophecy

For someone that already has the other 2-disc editions of the movies, short of the kinda cool trunk packaging, does anyone think that Bonus Disc is worth it? The content just looks to be the cable promo EPK crap that really doesn't add anything substantial.

O.K... end of rant.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dustin: I feel your pain completely.

I started THIS THREAD in the music forum on the same subject as it relates to CDs.

While I understand completely the frustration of having to choose between various Retailer Exclusives when it comes to DVD purchases...to me it seems even more egregious when it involves "Bonus tracks" for a CD.

If artist XYZ releases a 12-track CD which has exclusive tracks at both Target and Best Buy, it is my belief that should have been a 14-track CD in the first place. And that I now need to buy the CD three times over to get the tracks to which I feel entitled.

it's a little different from the DVD situation (in my mind) in that the songs are the actual content of the CD, whereas in the DVD situation we are usually talking about bonus features--not part of the actual film presentation.

But...both suck. Plain and simple.

=====================

EDIT** And thanks for all the info on those Bourne & Potter exclusives! :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In almost all cases of store exclusive discs, I try to have the attitude of "If I Get It, Great And If Not, Oh Well" but there's still a few times when my collector dementia takes over and I have to have the bonus disc no matter what.

This week I'm in both ends of that spectrum- I dig Harry Potter and I'm picking up the two disc set but I'm not fan enough to care if I get Target's bonus. Then on the other hand, I love Lost and I'd sell my soul to get the bonus disc. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes that b1g1 amazon update is making me angry.

i cant keep buying these things.

and that walmart hd potter price is nuts if it is also at my walmart.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

I knew that sometimes there were retailer CD exclusives, but had no idea the practice had gotten so ridiculously out of hand as what I read in that thread.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

I decided to keep to a $10/BD buy threshhold, so I haven't been as tempted to pull the trigger on the Amazon BOGO BD sales. They have listed a few $24.9x-$26.9x BDs that I would pick up if their normal price went down to $19.9x and could get to the $10/BD price during a BOGO special. This has saved me some cash outlay for the interim.

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator

With the $ 5.00 discount for purchasing the Bourne Ultimatum at Limited Edition at Best Buy, I guess there's no reason to not get it ($ 13.99$16.99 standard edition vs $18.99 Limited Edition [$23.99-$5.00]).

But are the extras "Big City Action" and "The Evolution of Nicky" all that interesting ? (According to the nbc link that ChrisCook provided, not surprisingly it appears that these two extras are not included in the "Jason Bourne Collection")

Also, I haven't seen anyone comment anywhere about Target's exclusive special edition ($22.99) -- "Blackbriar Files collector’s book with photos and background details on film characters and more. Special packaging"
I hope that tomorrow someone will report on the book. That would have to be a very very worthwhile book to make it worth getting both the Target special edition and Best Buy special edition.

On the other hand, if "Big City Action" and "
The Evolution of Nicky" aren't all that interesting, maybe I should skip the Best Buy edition and go for Target special edition ?

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Thanks as always Mike and Patrick for the information.
I just became aware of a promotion for next week that will impact my intended purchases for today:
A major electronics retailer will have a BOGO sale on select High Definition discs next week (beginning Sunday 12/16/2007) - both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, and you can mix and match between the formats.

I have seen the details of this promotion, but I am trying to be vague because of HTF's policy on posting details from a retailer's ads prior to the ad being released in circulation.

There are 28 titles that qualify for this promotion - 14 Blu-ray and 14 HD DVD titles. The critical titles to be aware of (in my opinion) are The Bourne Ultimatum (HD DVD) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (both Blu-ray and HD DVD) since both are being released today.

Watch for more information in The Weekly RoundUp for 12/16/2007 - I know that Mike & Patrick will have the complete details.
I'm definitely picking-up:
The Bourne Ultimatum HD DVD (now postponed until next week)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (probably postponed until next week - may just get standard definition DVD today)
High School Musical 2

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wal Mart's Lost: Season Three bonus disc has three Lost On Location featurettes (for the episodes The Cost Of Living, Enter 77 and D.O.C.) and two deleted scenes. According to the disc, the run time is only 15 minutes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sure thing. The Wal Mart in my area was charging $45 for the set w/bonus disc but I was able to price match CC's $35 price. I thought the bonus disc would make it a 'different' item and I wouldn't be allowed to price match but the guy who rang me up either didn't know or didn't care.

If you can't get a price match, I'd say to save the $10 since you'll only be missing out on 15 minutes of content.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Lord, where DO I start?

Lost (Blu)
Harry Potter's (HD)
Order of the Phoenix (Blu)
Rent (Blu)

I think I have to wait on all of that, though. Money's a little tight until the next paycheck is deposited. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks