What's new

Vertical banding: return new LCD TV or not? (1 Viewer)

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an Astar 32" TV from PC Connection. It was $680 with a $100 rebate. Great deal.

I noticed some serious vertical banding on the set and requested an exchange. PC Connection was very cool about it and will pay shipping back AND overnight me a new TV.

However, I did notice that it only happens after the TV has been on for some time. When it starts cold it does not have the vertical banding.

What is up with that? Is that a design problem with the TV in general or a defect of this particular unit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
LCDs in general can have VB to varying degrees. a Replacement may have the problem to a similar degree, or much less, who knows.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The better sets tend to have less ...but you have to pay more for that.

regards

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Is it normal for it to appear after the unit has been on for a while?

I always thought it was either there or not. When I first turn it on, it's not there at all.

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
I just realized I posted they are vertical bands, my mistake. They are horizontal. Best I could describe them is gray gradient bands on an otherwise black background.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So are they always horizontal?

Play a scene from the new King Kong film. The part where the ship approaches skull island in the fog.

Do the gradations follow the fog patterns or are they still horizontal in nature?

Regards

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Always horizontal. They stay in the same place regardless of material In fact, if the scene isn't near black, they're tough or impossible to notice.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Almost sounds like a defect of some sort. Do the store display units exhibit the same issues?

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks