What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal Cinema Classics: The Heiress, etc. on 02-06-07 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Christian, the print looks stunning.
Call me a fool but I was waiting for a last minute announcement of a commentary by Miss De Havilland.
Oh well.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I think the disk is only soso. It looks fine, but it could have been much better, and the lack of a commentary by Olivia seems almost like a snub.

It is one of the greatest Hollywood movies, in my opinion. In fact, 3 Wyler movies are in my top ten movies of all time (The Little Foxes, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Heiress) and I'm surprised The Heiress took 7 years of my collecting DVDs to finally arrive.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

I don't think it's a snub. Universal just doesn't seem to believe in commentary tracks (except on their horror films)... not even for Preston Sturges, whose films are proven scholar-magnets!

the different studio philosophies re: the commentary track is fascinating to me (I really really love them--and maybe I think about them too much!)

Fox is clearly the king of commentaries (something like 90% of their releases feature them), Warner does a lot of them, but not nearly as many as they should (i.e. how they could have failed to record tracks for Kings Row, Baby Face, etc. etc. is beyond me--I would have thought that scholars would have lined up to do them!)

Columbia appears to be improving in this regard, and Paramount has done a few nice SE's, but Universal just seems to regard the whole practice as a waste of time!

I'm actually more interested in scholar/aficionado tracks than in those recorded by participants (even by Olivia de Havilland--although it's always nice to hear what she has to say), but they each have their merits-and, obviously, either is preferable to no track at all!

DeeF

Screenwriter
But Universal does have those little documentaries on the Hitchcock movies. Couldn't they have made a little documentary, an interview, with Olivia?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
While everyone is complaining that Universal didn't do a commentary, does anyone know FOR SURE that DeHavilland was not asked? Isn't it possible DeHavilland was asked and said "NO!".

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Watched All Quiet On The Western Front last night - well, at least half before it was too late to finish, and it looked pretty good all in all. The sound was somewhat distorted at times but still, pretty decent for a film from 1930. I have never viewed this movie before now but it certainly leaves it's mark. Need to resume tonight but in the mean time tried Arabian Nights - sure do love that Technicolor
look, this film has held up well - there is some very light "flickering" at times but nothing I found objectional - and the colors are wonderful with nice detail, overall what I have seen so far is a real treat for the eyes - can't beat the price either. Thank you for the effort Universal!

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Since recently she has been honored with a tribute and among all her films she chose to attend the screening of The Heiress, I don't think she would have said NO, had she been asked.
She had contributed to other DVD editions of her work before and The Heiress being a performance she is specially proud of, it is unlikely she would have refused.
Anyways, It is not exactly complaining, but us wanting her commentary in the DVD REALLY bothers you that much?

And Brent, since you have received the DVD already, how would you describe the Osborne introduction? Is it worthwhile?

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of people have declined to do DVD commentaries for work they are proud of, for quite a number of reasons. You think it unlikely she would refuse, I think it likely. We're both speculating fruitlessly.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Since the rest of the collection doesn't have any kind of extra or commentaries either, it clearly means Universal didn't even asked. So no, I don't think I'm speculating fruitlessly.
It just amazes me that some of you don't see this as a sad lost opportunity. The Heiress is a masterpiece and I would have loved to have on DVD the recollections of a living legend.
You call this complaining?. Whatever.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Alejandro - I don't have the Heiress yet but the opening Introduction by Osborne on the other two were interesting enough - I guess it comes down to how much you know already - they last only a few minutes each but something is always better than nothing!

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Brent.
Yes, just to have it on DVD for the first time is already a treat. I can't wait.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For those who were asking about SPRING PARADE, it is true that Universal does not currently have the rights to it. They will when it goes into public domain, but that won't be for another few years at least. Prints of the film do exist, and I have seen a private videotape dupe of it, but it's not commercially available. Having seen it, I can tell you that it was a sumptuously designed picture (one wishes it could have been released in color at the time), and it contains many signature moments, including one in which Durbin takes off something like 9 hoopskirts in a single uncut take. (No, it's not anything lewd or indecent - just a chatty scene while she prepares to go to sleep - the audience I was with was roaring by the time she got to the fourth hoopskirt...) On the other hand, it's pretty easy to tell that the strain of making these movies was already beginning to grate on Durbin by the time she made this one.

I am working on a review of ALL QUIET, which will be finished today. The reason to get it is if 1) You've never seen it before, or 2) You've never seen a decent print of it before. The new print is terrific. If you're looking for extras, you won't find them here. But it really is worth it to see this film restored and preserved for us.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kevin, thanks for the information on SPRING PARADE, the one Deanna Durbin film I've never had the good fortune to see. Maybe if I live long enough, I will get a chance to see it. I certainly love the songs from it that I've heard.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
FYI: All Quiet on the Western Front, Arabian Nights and Going My Way are all $6.28 at DeepDiscountDVD right now.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Along with several other Universal titles if you're willing to poke about the website. I just order All Quiet and Arabian Nights along with The Big Broadcast of 1938/College Swing, Black Angel, Criss Cross, Night Passage and This Gun for Hire.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I need to post a correction to my earlier comments on SPRING PARADE. I had my information a little mixed up, and my family spelled the facts for me...

The Henry Koster film of SPRING PARADE was actually a remake of an earlier film of the same name from Hungary, written by Ernst Marischka and produced by Joe Pasternak. After Pasternak came to America, he remade the film, this time with Henry Koster directing and Deana Durbin starring in it. Marischka's story was used for the US remake, but without his input or involvement. When the film came out in theaters, Marischka notified Universal of his displeasure with the situation. As a result, Universal has never re-released the film to theaters or on any type of video. Apparently, Marischka's daughter wrote to Universal at some point after his death, asking for SPRING PARADE to finally be released (Bygones being bygones and all that), but Universal is still reluctant. Given the past history, it is not likely that Universal will want to release this one in the future. But you never know. I never thought that Brando's footage from SUPERMAN II would see the light of day...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for that update on SPRING PARADE, Kevin. Sorry to read that it may be withheld indefinitely, especially since it's the only Durbin film I've never seen, but now at least we seem to have the accurate story of its situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks