What's new

Uncharted 2 out on Oct 2 (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I figure that I probably won't have trouble getting a copy, but I reserved one @ my local, friendly neighborhood Future Shop to make sure. Looks like it should be a worthy followup to the first one. I'm trying to keep expenses down but I couldn't resist this game. One of the actresses from "Farscape" and "Stargate SG1", Claudia Black, is doing a turn in it as the character of Chloe, so that's a nice bonus.

Here is a link to an interview that was done with the two leading ladies of the game.

blog.us.playstation.com/2009/06/meet-the-women-of-uncharted-2-among-thieves/

Looks like they had a good time doing the game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The reviews are stellar. I bought the first one this past summer and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Really looking forward to the sequel.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Today is Oct. 2. Uncharted 2 comes out Oct. 13. They released the demo last night, unfortunately it's only multiplayer, but I guess that makes sense.

Really looking forward to it, loved the first one.

BTW, I wish the game companies would adapt the bundling practice of DVDs. It wouldn't make sense for a lot of titles (like sports games that are just updates of the previous game) but for something like this it would be great.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm waaaay behind the curve (as usual w/ games and such). Only just recently picked up a "used, like new" copy of the original from Amazon's marketplace after sellers finally started slashing used pricing significantly. Still haven't gotten around to giving it a spin yet, but look forward to seeing how good this really is after reading all the rave reviews/comments from a fairly broad spectrum of gamers (both the casual and the more serious). I may even let my 10-yo kid play it some if it's not really as "strong" as the Teen rating suggests, but we'll see...

_Man_

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Having play Uncharted, it's basically Indiana Jones-type stuff. There's mild cursing, if any, and most of it is just shooting bad guys with guns. If you would let your kid play Tomb Raider then it's kinda like that. Still suggest you play it first just so you know what to expect.

In terms of bundling games in a series together, that is pretty common now. There are a series of bundles on PS2 (Mortal Kombat, Metal Gear Solid) and they're rereleasing God of War I/II for PS3 with enhanced graphics in a bundle on one Blu-ray disc this winter. The practice of bundling the prequel with the sequel isn't common, though games typically have a longer life at a higher price than movies. Uncharted is probably still going for $30+ (around half of it's release price and two years later) whereas most movies by now would probably be under half price with an initial price of under $30 to start.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Anybody playing the multiplayer demo? I can't find a FAQ anywhere on it. I would really enjoy it a lot more if I knew what the heck was going on for the different modes. Deathmatch is rather straightforward, but I played the "Carry the gold" mode, and had no clue what was going on.

Don't know any of the controls either. Found a gold treasure in the bottom of a pit, and couldn't get it out for the life of me. I saw that you're supposed to throw it up out, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Still haven't figured out how to throw a grenade, or do a taunt.

Is there documentation out there (or in the game) that I'm missing, or am I just an idiot?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

Today is Oct. 2. Uncharted 2 comes out Oct. 13. They released the demo last night, unfortunately it's only multiplayer, but I guess that makes sense.

Really looking forward to it, loved the first one.

BTW, I wish the game companies would adapt the bundling practice of DVDs. It wouldn't make sense for a lot of titles (like sports games that are just updates of the previous game) but for something like this it would be great.
Yeah...my mistake. From what I was reading I got the impression it was coming out today. I only found out that it isn't coming out 'til the thirteenth when I went to pick up a copy today. Oh well, too bad, because I was looking forward to playing it tonight.

The bundling idea might work for select games.For example, in my case, The God of War bundle for the PS3 sounds like a possible purchase.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just got it today. It was sold at out Toys R Us (which sucks because of their Buy 2 Get 1 going on) and at one Best Buy, but I got it at another BB. 3 Chapters in and it's great.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I got it today at Fry's, grabbed the last copy that I could see. Just an incredible game, I'm already at chapter 9, and completely loving it.

The graphics are the best I've seen in any game hands down.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
It annoys me to no end that the game renders artifacts at the screen's border, viewable without any overscan. Hell, the mattes in 1st person view don't even reach the edge.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Here's a pic with the PS3 directly connected to a 720p LCD display with 1:1 pixel mapping. The results are identical with either 720p or 1080i output from the PS3. You can see the environment peaking out a pixel or two at the bottom and right edges.

http://xs1044.xs.to/xs1044/09425/pa160008631.jpg

I should say this isn't a "bug" per se, games aren't technically intended to be viewed without overscan, and this is no different than the extra information that you can see in some tv shows and DVDs. It's just that EVERY other modern game I've played doesn't have this issue. (Actually now that I think about it, the first Uncharted might have done this as well...)

Not really a problem, just annoying.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I've never seen that, whether on my display or elsewhere. My TV goes up to 1080p and I have it set for games to automatically go up to that (unless they're set not to) and I've never run into that issue.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I didn't have that problem when I played the game. I was playing it on a 720p lcd as well.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^I'm not sure what you were asking, perhaps it has something to do with the Multie-player Demo being no longer available?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm on Chapter 18 and the game is just amazing.
The story feels just like a movie.

Speaking of which, have you seen the funny commercial?

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The level on the moving train could well be the best gaming set-piece I've ever played. Just astonishing.

My only minor gripe with this otherwise terrific title is those occasional pseudo-bosses that you can only deal with hand-to-hand. It just seems a little ridiculous that you can pump clip after clip into these bastards with no effect, because the game wants to force you to punch their lights out. The game should just disarm you before these encounters, so you won't sit there wasting your ammo.

--Jefferson Morris

Jbug

Agent
Real Name
June
I think the Uncharted games will be amongst those that will look super duper in 3D. So instead of playing through it 2x and then selling it (like I normally do) I'm keeping it for next year when the PS3 will get that promised firmware update for 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks