What's new

Tx-sr605 lacking bass (1 Viewer)

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I just bought a TX-SR605 last night second hand to try getting my theater a bit more audio depth. Currently i have a pair of Cerwin Vega LS-12s with a CL-15 powered subwoofer. Using the old amp, a cheap 50 watt boom box or my sx1800 samsung PA I get deep powerfull sounding bass with the music.

With the Tx-Sr605 though the sound is bright but lacking on the bottom end. I have tried adjusting th ebass and treble. +10 bass -6 treble. But its still not quite where i want it.

Is it normal for these amps to have less bass? any solutions or possible checks i can do?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Always check the simple things first. Did you re-calibrate the system, setting the speaker size, volumes, distance and crossover points? If you ran the Audyssey automatic setup program sometimes it sets the speaker size in-correctly and the sub output too low. I'd start there first.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Wow Ok, i feel a bit stupid now. I had no idea it could make that much difference. I am blown away by how much tech is packed into this thing. It not only sono locates the range to each speaker, but adjusts the frequency response and db to match the room and speaker type?

Super cool! And its sounding alot better! I wasn't able to echo my subwoofer because it has a 60hz hum that is messing with the sound test. need to ground it somehow and try again.

(can you tell this is my first receiver?)

Dan

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And remember, the 605 is a three year old entry level receiver! The technology is there to do amazing things but at a price most people aren't willing to pay. I'd love to play with the latest $6000 Arcam processor or the Pioneer SC-09 ($7000).

Anyway, glad the disappointment was short-lived!

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Its deffinatly not the 800 watts Rms of clean power the sx1800 has. i need to be a bit carefull not to really crank the volume. but the LFE handling, center, and surounds will hopefully make up for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks