What's new

Toshiba 36HF72 and HDTV (1 Viewer)

TimHON

Agent
Not sure whether to post this here or in the HD forum but here goes. I just had HDTV installed by comcast yesterday and now I am a little confused. The comcast installer brought a Motorola 5100 and hooked it up(or rather I did it because he had basically no idea what he was doing). I finally found where the HD channels were but now I am confused as what to set the Motorola box to and then what to set the TV to. I understand all the different menu settings on the Motorola but when I set the output to 1080i I get bars on the side of the picture and an elongated picture. I realize this is because the signal broadcast right now isn't HD but I was hoping someone with a similiar setup could tell me what to set the Motorola box and the Toshiba to. I really can't believe that Comcast has rolled out HDTV in the Chicago area and has absolutely no support behind it. A couple of calls to customer support got me the same answer-- "We really have no experience with HDTV and can't give you an answer". They can't even get my HBO channel working. Thanks for any help.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If your 36 is anything like the 50H82, the manual recommends Theatter Wide 1 for 1080i images with the bars on the sides. The Comcast box is fixed on no stretching or zooming for 1080i output, at least in Boston it is.

TimHON

Agent
Thanks for the help. I think I have it figured out. the real problem comes in with the hodge podge of HD programming out there. Watched Raymond last night on CBS and it looked great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks