1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tokyo Drift COMBO disc is HD DVD 30/DVD 9 (in other words, dual-layer)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Efrain Lopez, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Efrain Lopez

Efrain Lopez Member

Although it's been known for months that 30/9 COMBO's were going to be possible, I think some people may have not gotten the message or didn't care to spread the word (It was known since about 2 months ago).

http://videobusiness.com/article/CA6372284.html

Anyway, first dual-layer COMBO should be out in a few days (some people have spotted this title at Best Buy already).

The price is MSRP $40, same as Fox Blu-ray catalog releases, and only $5 than Warner New releases (so in other words, you're not paying more than at most $5 for the disc).

If you are wondering why on average COMBO's cost $7 more than regular HD DVD's, it's because regular HD DVD's are older titles so they price them lower anyway. Lion's Gate and Sony charge $40 for their new releases on Blu-ray, not because they are COMBO (no Blu-ray hybrid discs), but because they are new releases. If you want some decently priced COMBO discs, look at Universal's catalog releases, which can be found for about $24 online, just a couple of dollars more than regular catalog HD DVD releases.

2. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Well-Known Member

Excellent news. If the forthcoming Superman Returns utilizes this combo format, I'll start buying into HD DVD with that release.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Well-Known Member

This should have been the way the studios should have released their HD-DVDs. I will buy combo discs easily that way when I get my player (by the mid of October), I've got the software.

4. Matt Hetzler

Matt Hetzler Well-Known Member

I picked this up yesterday at a certain retailer and I can verify that it is a 30/9 combo release.

I also got The Dirty Dozen, which includes the 1985 sequel as a bonus feature, but not in HD.