What's new

TNT-HD now available on Directv... (1 Viewer)

randySH

Agent
exciting stuff, saw some 1080 p pics the other day at my dealer...he had a DVD with 1080 p stuff on it

wow!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Last night the NBA Shootaround and Slam Dunk contest on TNT HD looked amazing. Additionally, TNT is doing something the other networks don't do. I saw a movie trailer last night on TNT HD for "Ice Age 2" and the trailer (just a commercial) was in HD. They showed a commercial advertising them airing "Armageddon" next week, and it was in HD. I've never understood why HBO HD and Showtime HD show movies and original programming in HD, but the commercials advertising those movies and shows are 4x3 letterboxed. So I'm gonna give TNT props for catching on and quite possibly leading the pack.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
those commercials are NOT HD.

Some of their commercials are, but 97% aren't. TNT crops the top and bottom of SD material a little bit and then does a horizontal stretch which is non-linear.

Images in the center of the screen appear correct, but the edges of the screen are stretched more.

They sure have most of you folks fooled though..and it doesn't help that they mark everything as HD, even though a lot of their movies aren't. They're SD upconverts.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I'm not really concerned as much about whether or not the movies on TNT HD are in fact upconverted or stretched. That's what DVDs, HBO HD, Showtime HD and HD Net are for... The NBA game I watched on TNT HD appeared to be fine as did an episode of "Law & Order". *shrug*

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
The Ice Age 2 trailer was definitely in HD last night during the Slam Dunk competition. I was watching closely and for the proper aspect ratio.

I've seen the same trailer tonight and it is not in HD. It is a SD upconvert.

Conclusion: TNT HD is hdefnitely it or miss.

Peace,

DM

randySH

Agent
i tivo'd and I dont think so...maybe edtv, not sure what the options are

what is SD? have seen spiderman 2 in hidef on hbo and there was a difference, I think

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I thought Spiderman looked pretty nifty last night, if you can get past those ANNOYING popup ads for The Closer or Law & Order during the actual movie!

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
THOSE Ads - Ice Age 2 during the Slam Dunk competition and the Armageddon spot - WERE in high def. No, I wasn't fooled.

AND . . . Spider-Man looked pretty good in HD last night, but the earlier showing of Rush Hour 2 didn't look very good at all.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Are these type of condescending comments really necessary?

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Since I don't have Starz HD, I'm looking forward to seeing the first two LOTR films on TNT HD when they pop up again. I remember when Comcast first put the channel on our system and "Star Trek: Insurrection" was on. Not only was it pan and scan, but it was also a 4x3 broadcast stretched out to fill the screen. Only watched about a minute of it. Atrocious. :thumbsdown:

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Starz HD is carried on some cable systems, including Cox Cable. "Sin City" was on in HD on Starz HD the other night and looked amazing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Currently not available on DirecTV, as are many other HD channels.

Soon I hope.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Me too! I mean, I've read lots of posts from "veteran" posters who claim to be "in the know" saying that TNT-HD would probably never be offered on D*...or at least not on a D* non-mpeg4 transmission. Boy, I wonder what kind of backpedalling they're doing now? ;)

randySH

Agent
besides Starz, what else would one expect or hope to see on DirectTV HD in the near future?

or what, specifically do they not have now

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
cinemax-hd
ngc-hd
inhd1
inhd2
wealth tv
mtv-hd
voom channels in HD

for starters..and i know for sure they're going to drag their feet to carry food-hd and hgtv-hd

I'm pretty sure the ice age commercial was not HD..why on earth would it be HD on TNT but not on a major broadcast net?? The commercial in SD is 1.85:1, which means it will fill the screen in HD.. It was stretched and zoomed in, with black bars on the top and bottom -- not HD.

What HD cable network has exclusive hd ads?? The first place for movie trailres to premiere in HD is on broadcast tv, which everyone gets for free and is available to a wider audience.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Rakesh, I wouldn't be so sure they won't get HGTV-HD. HGTV I heard is very popular as is Food.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong

Are all of these channels available in HD elsewhere? I know prior to getting DirecTV, I had cable with Time Warner Cable. I was able to use their HD package to get HDNet, INHD1/2... but what about the others? Are these currently available elsewhere? I wrote DirecTV awhile ago and asked why INHD wasn't part of the package... the reply I got back simply stated they'd forward it to their broadcasting/programming dept... I just wish there was more offered with DirecTV... if in fact these channels really exist. i.e., MTV-HD, all of the VOOM channels, etc, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks