What's new

TMNT Reviews (1 Viewer)

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Are there any reviews (multiple, if possible) of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie DVD? As well as the second movie? Thanks for any help!

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
None really. It's a pretty barebones flipper with the widescreen on one side and open-matte fullscreen on the other. There's a trailer and "character bios" and that's about it. The other two discs are the same, except they used DVD-9's with cover art instead of a flipper.

The picture isn't bad, really....the first film is over a decade old and was pretty low-budget, but it looks decent. The animatronic Turtle effects hold up very well even today. Actually, if these movies were made today, they'd probably use CGI turtles, and the whole thing would look like a cartoon. As a kid, I was absolutely sure the Turtles in this movie were REAL lol.

What I'd really love to see is an unrated cut of the first movie. Going by the comic adaptation, there are three scenes that were cut/altered to get a PG rating:

1. In the final movie, April catches some guys robbing a news van. They tackle her, yelling "get her purse!" as if just to mug her. In the original version they did NOT yell "get her purse" and some cut dialogue makes it clear they intended to rape her.

2. In the movie, after Tatsu peels Shredder's cape back from his armor spikes, he motions to some guys in the distance....and then we never see those guys again. They were some teenage foot soldiers who failed in a previous mission. In a cut scene, they are forced to attack Shredder, who cuts them each with his armor.

3. In the scene where Tatsu is tearing apart the locker room, he beats one of the soldiers unconscious. In the orginal version, he picks the soldier up by the neck, and you hear his neck breaking, like Darth Vader with the Rebel officer in Star Wars.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Are there any chance of a re-release for these DVDs? And are there any reviews online for these? I'm so tempted to get these, but I'm wary of the dreaded 'double-dip.'

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I would be shocked if the second or third installments were given a special edition treatment. I'm not really sure what might motivate New Line to remaster the original TMNT film either.

I have the original and the transfer isn't very good, but it's also not so bad as to be entirely unwatchable. The soundtrack is pretty decent, however.

If you like the movie I'm sure you'd be satisfied with the existing DVD release. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks