What's new

The Rocketeer: Is a Blu-ray coming? Please? (1 Viewer)

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

I read over at Jim Hill Media that Disney's D23 is planning an event to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the release of THE ROCKETEER, including a cast panel hosted by Kevin Smith and a screening of the film. The fact that the anniversary is being recognized has my hopes up that we might get a Blu-ray release or, at the very least, some sort of anniversary DVD.

I'd love to see this film in pristine HD, but I would even settle for a special edition DVD that includes video enhanced for widescreen, a better audio track, and a few extras. Weren't there a number of deleted scenes that have never been released?

Has anyone heard any rumors about a new release?

Regards,

mattl

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It would be wonderful if Disney would license out some decent titles to Mill Creek for low prices, including this and RETURN TO OZ and NEVER CRY WOLF and dozens of others that could look great on Blu-ray.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This would seem like a no brainer to me. It's the 20th anniversary, from the director of this summer's "Captain America", which is also based on a WWII set comic book, and Disney owns Marvel now. I mean, it's got tie-in written all over it. I would LOVE to have this movie on Blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Dick

It would be wonderful if Disney would license out some decent titles to Mill Creek for low prices, including this and RETURN TO OZ and NEVER CRY WOLF and dozens of others that could look great on Blu-ray.

Oh goodness, I am with you on licensing out titles to someone, but please not Mill Creek. Try Image or even Anchor Bay again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Have you checked out any of the Mill Creek/Disney Blu-rays? I picked up Big Business and Another Stakeout for $5 a piece and they look great!

Originally Posted by ahollis

Oh goodness, I am with you on licensing out titles to someone, but please not Mill Creek. Try Image or even Anchor Bay again.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
What I wouldn't give to see the pre-anorexia Jennifer Connelly in high-def...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I remember liking this film as an 8-year-old when I saw it in theaters and getting the laserdisc. I was surprised to find it didn't do well at the box office. Disney did a lot of interesting live-action films in the late 1980s/early 1990s that never got good DVDs: this film, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Shipwrecked, Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, Hocus Pocus, and some others.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I remember looking forward to seeing this at the movies and being bored silly by it.

Bill Campbell is on The Killing on AMC and i hardly recognized him. would like to see Rocketeer again maybe I'll like it this time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's a great movie. It feels like a Speilberg picture from the late 70s or early 80s, and maybe if it had come out at that time, it would have been more successful. But it was released in '91, around the same time at Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, so summer blockbusters had lost that sense of innocence. Both of those were more gritty and violent and were much bigger successes.

But, by all means, bring on a 20th anniversary edition on blu-ray. The movie, and film history, deserve it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've always had a soft spot for The Rocketeer. It somehow went completely under my radar when it was in theaters, and I first saw it on laserdisc. It was, in fact, the very first laserdisc I ever owned. I was doing some shopping on the day UPS was due to deliver my first LD player, and depressed that the films I really wanted to watch that day were all so expensive. I was flipping through the cheaper titles in the discount rack when the cover caught my eye. I was a huge fan of those old Commando Cody serials and the thing looked like fun, so I bought it. I could not believe that I had never heard of this film, or that it had done so poorly at the box office that it never got the sequel it obviously deserved.

Maybe Captain America will do well enough that Disney will think about a reboot for what could be a nice franchise. I certainly hope that they finalyl consiider a blu ray. The current DVD is simply a digitized version of that old laserdisc tansfer and the film deserves better.

Regards,

Joe

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"The rocka-who?"

It would be nice to get the Rocketeer on Blu-ray this summer, 20th anniversary and Joe Johnston's new film coming up. Come on!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, I sent a message via the customer contact page at the Disney site, and also posted a comment to the Jim Hill Media blog asking about a 20th anniversary BD for The Rocketeer. I'm not holding my breath, but figure it can't hurt to ask. A pity Disney didn't get the distribution rights to Captain America along with those for Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. Then it would be easy to cross-promote the two. But, like Thor, Cap will be under the pre-Disney Paramount-Marvel Studios distribution deal, which presumably means they will do the BD/DVD releases. Still there's no reason Disney couldn't ride the coattails of the advertising and publicity surrounding Captain America's eventual home video release to promote a Rocketeer BD (and maybe anamorphic DVD with the same extras) that is released at the same time. I'd love to be able to give myself both films for Christmas this year. Also the upcoming El Capitan theater event sounds like the ideal time to have a 2nd, private screening with the panelists and record a commentary track for the thing.

A fella can dream, can't he?

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
For what it's worth, got this form e-mail from Disney today:

Joseph,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns about The Rocketeer. We value your interest in Walt Disney Home Entertainment Movies and we love to hear the opinions of our viewers. We will forward your comments for review.

Who knows? Maybe the horse will learn to sing.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
P.S.

After all this time, I just noticed a typo in the title of thread. The Rocketter. Makes it sound like Cliff Secord should be wearing fishnets and high-heels.

Fixed it.

Joe

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw this in 70mm 6-channel Dolby when it was first released. Owned the laserdisc and the non-anamorphic DVD (which still looked acceptable upscaled on my Panasonic RP91). The 5.1 mix sounds great.

I am definitely up for a blu-ray release!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'd love to see it on Blu. I only have the laserdisc since I decided that as the DVD wasn't anamorphic, there wouldn't be a huge step up in quality for me at the time. I haven't watched it in quite awhile, and my screen size has grown quite a bit since I made that DVD decision, so I'd REALLY like a new transfer and in high definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks