What's new

THE RED HOUSE (1947 Edward G Robinson): Which DVD to buy (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Unfortunately, this now appears to be public domain film, meaning there

are multiple versions out on DVD. A friend already purchased one copy

and it looks like a port over from VHS.

Any advice??? This forum was most helpful when I went to get a copy of "Detour."

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
In the latest issue (April 2011) of Sight & Sound magazine (Volume 21, Issue 4), there's a one page feature/article on The Red House. Sadly, nothing about a spruced up DVD of the film. Good article though.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I'm not sure if there are any especially "good" copies of The Red House out there. I've seen a number of iterations over the years that were generally very poor. I'd say the VCI released double feature of The Red House/Scarlet Street (UPC 089859501128) was the least offensive and most watchable, though I think it's now OOP.

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones
Originally Posted by Livius

I'm not sure if there are any especially "good" copies of The Red House out there. I've seen a number of iterations over the years that were generally very poor. I'd say the VCI released double feature of The Red House/Scarlet Street (UPC 089859501128) was the least offensive and most watchable, though I think it's now OOP.
Before I got wise to the label, I made the woeful mistake of buying the Elstree Hill, UK release of The Red House. It is, without any doubt, the worst DVD I own. It's a lot worse than "very poor", I'm afraid. The picture pixellates regularly throughout the film...and not in such a way as to suggest that my copy is faulty. The fault is quite plainly there in the materials and the mastering process. Avoid it all costs.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Livius,

Thank you for your advice.
I was just able to order that version over at Amazon for $4.99.
Crossing fingers they get it right.

I'd rather watch "the least offensive" transfer and that helped.

Thanks again!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Finally watched the DVD today and it certainly looks better than VHS, even if has lots of scratches and hiss, the image was crisper than many of transfer of other public domain titles I have purchased in the past. It is acceptable in a "least offensive" manner

and I appreciate the advice on the DVD. :)

moviemann1

Auditioning
Real Name
peter delong
attention "red house "fans there is an excellent print (clean, with only a few scratches, no bleaching,nice rich blacks and gray , audio still questionable) its from allegro/popflix "midnight mysteries collection" edddie g. on cover. this is a sub criterion quality product but they did find the best unrestored print available. geat news for all noir heads. $10.00 @ amazon. get it.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I purchased this myself and it's indeed pretty good quality, though mileage will vary. Way better than the other two films on the disc, though.

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
There's been a new listing for a blu-ray release by Film Chest Inc coming April 24th. I've got it pre-ordered since it's cheap and I've never owned this film before. I don't think I own anything produced by them, so I'm not sure what kind of quality to expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks