What's new

The One and Only HTF Pet Owner and Animal Lover Thread! (1 Viewer)

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I would love to post some pics I do not have them hosted anywhere right now. Any suggestions??
I have several animals in which my wife and I love dearly. We have an eight year old collie named Sebastian. An eighteen(yes you read right) year old cat named Kitti. A ten year old Mexican Red Head parrot. An eleven year old Iguana(pretty darn old for a captive iguana) named Issac who is actually a girl(hey, who knew until she laid eggs one day). And last but not least our 135 gallon aquarium with six fish in it. A 10+ inch Oscar, a 9 inch Green Terror, a 7 inch Jack Dempsey, a 7 inch Texas Cichlid, a 7 inch Blood Parrot and lastly a 7 inch Synodontis Eupterus(feather fin catfish).
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Sorry Steve,mabey when if we ever get a cat you can come for dinner...cats taste just like chicken...or so im told
Robert,how do the oscar and the others all get along?I have only heard stories of lots of fighting and death with the combo you have.
------------------

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Chad I had my reservations as well. I really thought that I would have to get rid of at least one of them but they do really well together. I have had the blood parrot for three years and added the others two years ago. So far so good. I used to really watch them close but now they are all big enough to fend for themselves pretty well. As with all cichlids there is some "bickering" but nothing serious at all.
All in all I really like the combo. The various colors are about as well as you can do for fresh water. My Green Terror is a beautiful fish if I do say so myself.
wink.gif

By the way Chad. Do you still go to oscarfish.com? I still read a little but post very little.
------------------

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody given any thought to naming a dog "comehere", "stay", or "go"??
Sure would give em a complex...kind of like being lefthanded.
Brent L

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
At this time we only have one dog, or as we refer to, our 4-legged child. Beau is a 4 year old registered black and white Cocker Spaniel who I believe suffers from OCD(obcessive-compulsive). My wife will try to argue this point but only because he's her first baby. Before him, she never had a house dog, only a outside pen full of Beagles for hunting and a couple of black Labs.
Beau can drive me nuts sometimes but you gotta love, especially since my wife insisted that he have a $1500 surgery. At one year of age, we found out that he had what they call a diaphragmatic hernia(a hole in his diaphragm). This had caused part of his intestines to work their way up into his chest cavity around his lungs. But, the surgery went well and he's been kickin' it ever since.
I've never had a dog last more than 5 years, but I think he will go the distance. In the last month since my daughter started walking, they're becomming fast friends too.

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Stetson, a pure Miniature Schnauzer. He's a great dog, but unfortunately I don't think he'll be with us much longer. He is 15 years old and blind, hard of hearing, and is slowly eating less and less and losing weight. Whenever we go out of town we leave him at the Vet's, and each time I wonder if we'll get the call from them. I've had a dog all of my life (except while away at college) and can not imagine not having one. It's great to always have someone excited to see you when you walk in the door, even if your teenage kids barely say "boo".
Also have a rabbit my wife got in a moment of insanity ("yes, dear, I'll take care of it!" Well, we all know who cleans the cage, don't we) Anybody want a rabbit? Anybody know how long those things are supposed to live?
------------------

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Link Removed
Sable is a Pit-Bull/Boxer mix that my wife and I adopted from the Humane Society. She is by far the smartest and most loving dog I have ever owned. She cannot go a day without several sessions of fetch and tug-O-war. She is also a very protective dog and has a very strong jaw (pit-bull in her). I can actually swing her around with one of her toys while she is holding on with her mouth. She also hates having her paws touched. When we play tug-O-war, I'll grab at her paws and she does this little dance to avoid my hands while still trying to win the battle. It is quite funny to see.
Zeta is a Dalmatian/Basenji (sp?) mix and she was also adopted as a puppy from the Humane Society. She was actually found by a family in very bad weather and she was probably only 5-6 weeks old at the time. Zeta is a big sleeper, she loves the bed, but she really likes sleeping under the bed. She much rather be pet and hugged over playing fetch or what not. When we take her for walks, she gets so excited, she ends up walking or hopping on her back two legs. She looks like a damn circus dog when this happens and it is very cute.
Both dogs love walks, going for rides, and even the vet (go figure?). They both know peoples names, such as Grandma, Grandpa, and my friends names. Sable and Zeta are easily the two best dogs I have owned.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
quote: Ryan, do you happen to have any of your corgi mix online? You say it's a Welch Corgi mix, but is it a Cardigan Welsh Corgi or a Pembroke Welsh Corgi? [/quote]
I added a picture to my post. Good idea, I'd like to see pictures of other's pets as well. Anyway, I believe she's a Pembroke, but I'm not positive on that.
EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong. Wife says she's a Cardigan, because she has a tail. A long tail, too. Almost like a giant hairy rat. Anyway, she's the resident dog expert in our house, so I'm going with "Cardigan". Final answer.
------------------
-Ryan ( http://www.ryanwright.com )
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach him to use the HTF and keep him occupied for life.

[Edited last by Ryan Wright on August 31, 2001 at 10:41 AM]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ok, let me introduce you all to my two "boys", Bart & Linus. The pic's a little big to place inline, so just click Link Removed
Bart's original name was Jellybean, which just didn't work. It became obvious after a couple of days that he was a Bart (as in Simpson). He's the troublemaker of the pair, always getting into places where he doesn't belong. He's a bundle of energy and always seems to be moving at top speed even if he's just crossing the room!
Both are very friendly & affectionate, although only Bart is a lap cat. Linus prefers to lie on top of the couch above my head. Their favorite play activity is to chase the beam from a laser pointer I have. They know it's kept in a kitchen drawer and no matter where in the house they are will come running when they hear that drawer opened!
They're perfect HT cats. When I want to calm them down all I have to do is pop in a DVD. Linus will usually take his preferred position above my head and Bart will plop down in my lap or next to me, and they'll watch whatever I'm watching. They seem fascinated by the MGM lion, and the other day I noticed Linus intently following the feather at the beginning of Forrest Gump!!
Edit: Hmmm, 999. I'm off to think of something profound for my 1000th post!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!
[Edited last by Craig S on August 30, 2001 at 11:26 AM]

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Robert,yes I still go there although up until about may I was on webtv.I had no luck getting my account transfered to the pc so now I am Chad I.But like you,I post very little.
------------------

Jin E

Second Unit
Oh... if noone noticed the underlined words in my original post are hyperlinks to the respective Dog pics. Aren't pets great? I can't imagine how uneventful my life would be without 3 dogs... a snake, a ferret, and Phish. It's funny though... people see pics of the AKC registerd Lab and Husky and say "They are nice...", Then they see a picture of the stray Stinky Pete abomination mixed breed dog and everyone loves him to death! Now if I can only get him to stop howeling during the Simpsons... the HATES the Simpsons. 3 times a day he get shuffeled outside like a dog (how dare I treat Stinky like a dog!) while I watch the simpsons.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Zoe and Nyssa? I smell a Doctor Who fan...
You've got that right.
And one funny thing to add: Zoe is slightly neurotic. She hates to be picked up. In fact, I'm the only one who can do it. But, the strange thing is, when I pick her up, hold and pet her, she purrs like mad and loud. She's got a powerful purring engine under the hood. And at the same time she's purring away, with this frightened look on her face, she's whining and meowing for me to put her back on the ground.
laugh.gif

Usually after a couple of minutes, she's had enough and becomes squirmy, so I'll set her down. Once in a while though, she'll seem to forget she's in the air and be quite calm.
------------------

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I only have three cats around the house right now.
There are Katie and Susie, two litter mates who basically run the show. Katie looks like a Holstein cow or a Dalmation dog, white with black spots all over plus one black ear and a black tail. Susie is similar with grey instead of black markings over white. They are "mutt Siamese" as far as I can tell - I got them from a rescue society named CARE around these parts. Susie is the alpha cat in the house which means she bosses the rest of us around. She has to come out and greet all guests and make sure no undesireables come in the house. Katie on the other hand is quite shy and hides under the bed when I have company. Katie is my furry alarm clock. At about 6:30 AM she comes over and licks my nose. If that doesn't work then she bites my nose. Somehow it seldom comes to that anymore....
Then about 2 years ago I found a small bright orange kitty in my back yard. With his long hair and orange color I told him he looked like a fluffy pumpkin. Well I didn't think this was going to become "my" cat or I would have coined a less stupid name. But Fluffy Pumpkin turns out to be nearly a perfect orange tabby Maine Coon cat. Stange that such a popular breed type would end up a stray - people pay $600 for Maine Coons. The "Flufferdoodle" follows me around like a dog and has a very uncatlike personality. If he was aggressive he would be terrifying at 20lbs, but he is a real pussycat. Susie orders him around and he obeys without question most of the time.
One of these days I'll have to find a photosite that doesn't go "for pay" the month after I start using it.....
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My two "kids" are:
Margo-7 year old CorgiTeriPoo. She's 1/4 terrier, 1/4 poodle, and 1/2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (the blond ones with no tail-though she has a magnificent feathery tail). She's sort of a long, low, stocky Benji. Margo is 2nd in command in my houselhold and takes the job very seriously. She's the perfect little buddy, loyal and loving and eager to please, and lately has been training:
Fiona-recently acquired bratcat. Fiona and her littermates were abandoned by their mom at weaning, but were adopted by a very mellow Queensland Healer dog. As a result, Fiona is quite fond of Margo, and likes to fall asleep snuggled up to her. Fiona is a brat, but Margo has trained her not to mess with my forest of HT cables or try to jump up on the speakers.
Her purr has earned her the nickname "Thundercat." Fiona was a frankly ugly darkbrown/black mottled mess when I got her at 8 weeks, but has developed some really gorgeous buff/amber stripes and spots as she's grown up.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Our pets:
Mercutio is three years old and a complete clown. We picked him because he purred like mad when I came close to him and then immediately started chewing on me when I picked him up. He's still basically exactly the same, just bigger. He's Daddy's Boy, a gorgeous mackerel tabby Maine Coon mix with silky fur and a long raccoon tail. Favorite foods: Krispy Kreme donuts, corn muffins, crickets. Favorite activities: running up and down the stairs, beating the crap out of his little brother, biting Mommy and Daddy, purring. He likes to lie on his back as if waiting for a tummy-rubbing, but it's a trap so he can bite you. Also likes snuggling into Daddy's armpit in the afternoon. AKA "Kitty Crash Can."
Sebastian is two years old and a scaredy cat. Karen rescued him from the apartment building where he had been abandoned last August, and he's still not quite right in the head. Not particularly trusting, except where Mommy is concerned. He's her little boy, an orange-red classic tabby with a low center of gravity. Favorite foods: boring old dry Cat Chow, tuna fish (the only thing he would eat at first), and whatever is in his brother's bowl. Favorite activities: sitting in windows, sleeping on top of Daddy's laserdiscs, inciting violence from his brother, screaming. He likes to sit in the open back door and stare at nothing, and if his brother is in his "spot," there's trouble brewing. AKA "Mister Chubby Middle."
Phil is 34 years old and a chump. His daily activities consiste of drooling and babbling incoherently. Occasionally, he's lucid enough to hand me down some piece of HT or musical gear, but mostly he just talks about how his 50" RPTV has a better picture than my 32" tube, which is patently false. Favorite foods: cold strawberry soup, Tupper's Hop Pocket. Favorite activities: looking at his obscenely large LD collection. AKA "Dumbass."
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on September 03, 2001 at 09:12 AM]
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on September 03, 2001 at 09:13 AM]

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
We've rescued a few strays over the years. Here's some interesting stories.
Story #1:
We used to have a dog named Plato. We found him wandering around bleeding. Apparently someone had shot him. When we took him to the vet, we found out that the vet had seen him before, but had to turn him away (no owner) because he couldn't afford to do it for free. But, he felt so bad about it he gave us quite a deal. The full story with this dog is quite sad. He had tags on when we found him. We tried to call the owners. They said they never heard of the dog before. Can you believe that? The real truth, after some digging, was that the actual owner was killed in a car crash. The dog was in the car when it crashed, but luckily escaped. Then somewhere along the way while he was scavenging for food, someone shot him. The people we contacted (from the tags) were his parents. And they didn't want the dog. But, all came out ok. And it was quite easy to see that Plato was eternally grateful for us saving his life.
Story #2:
We found a baby kitten that had been abandoned. I think the mother was killed. The kitten was only 2 days old. We were able to nurse him back to health. We even had to bottle feed him special baby kitten formula. Pavi (my Mom named him after Pavarotti) has since grown to a huge 28 pound (all muscle, no fat) black Bombay cat. Currently he lives with my parents.
When he was young, he was the only cat living with two dogs. Indeed it was quite funny, since he didn't have a mother cat to learn from, he learned everything from the dogs. He acted like a dog. He even walked like a dog. It wasn't until later when we got Nyssa (a tabby cat) that Pavi realized the difference. After that he suddenly changed to cat like behaviors.
Story #3:
This is about Nyssa - one of the sweetest cats I've ever known. You can read about her in an earlier post I made. We found her wandering around one day rather ill and pregnant. After taking her to the vet we discovered that her unborn kittens were dead inside her. Apparently some cruel person had given her a vicious kick in the stomach. The vet surgically removed the kittens and Nyssa made a full recovery.
------------------

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed : 8 yr old male Golden Retriever a.k.a. Dexterpooh, the King (does a great Elvis impersonation, one lip tucked behind a tooth and also acts like he runs the house). Very smart, motivated by food only and sneaky as can be.
Link Removed 4 yr old female Yellow Lab a.k.a. Cassafrass, Snackers. I got Cass from the lady that cut my hair. She was 6 months old and she basically had her tied up in the backyard all the time. Loves to run indiscriminantly and will find water within a 500 ft. radius. She is a very affectionate,loyal and snorts like a pig when she gets excited. Link Removed
I can't imagine life without these two, it would be very boring indeed.
------------------
[Edited last by Terry Hansen on September 06, 2001 at 04:34 PM]

In order of acquisition:
Stimpy (a.k.a. Miss Stimpers, Bitch, Miss Thing, Missy: 11-12 year-old female gray and white Manx cat. She followed me home one day during October or November (it was cold) and she was just a kitten. She hopped into my car and wouldn't leave. I decided to keep her. She needed three flea dips (I looked like I just got in a fight with a razor blade). She was a pesky cat when she was young. I.e., she would take flying leaps from half-way across the room and attach herself to thighs or calves (with her teeth and claws). This was made even worse in the summer when I would wear shorts. She would also wake me up every night by licking my eyelids. This is not cool!! Well, she's older now and has calmed down. She must have been a dog in a previous life because likes to lick people incessantly.
Cody (a.k.a. Mister Magoo, Big Monster, Goofball, Codemeister, Codester, Cody Marie [I'll explain later]): Cody is a 6 year-old Rottweiler/Lab mix. He looks like a Rott but acts like a lab. This is cool. He's a big lug that has to be touching someone (laying on them, sitting on them, rubbing against them, etc...). He's ver co-dependant. If I leave him outside too long by himself I'll hear the loudest/strangest cry I've ever heard. It actually sounds as if someone is killing him. When he was a puppy he ate the glass top off of a hurricane lamp (obviously no problem there), chewed many pairs of shoes, knawed on a headboard of a bed. My significant other calls him Cody Marie because we both think he's bisexual. Cody will hump anything...stuffed animals, cats, pillows, other dogs (male or female), humans...I think he's sexually frustrated. He's become more mellow with age and he's the best dog I've ever owned.
Ren (a.k.a. Little monster, Renster, Lion King, Mister): Ren is a pure white male long-haired Manx cat. Of all the cats we own, Ren is the best. He always uses his box, he lays around all the time and is not overly affectionate. He's his own cat and he knows it. He gets along with all the other animals...even the ones who don't necessarily like him back. There is not much more to say here about him.
Lennox (a.k.a. Little bitch, Missy): She doesn't like any of the other animals. She was originally a street cat and wound up being the office cat where I work. She was eventually diagnosed with diabetes and requires insulin injections on a daily basis (her sugar is still not stable). She's an older cat and I really don't think she's much longer for this world.
Monty (a.k.a. IT): Monty is a newly acquired juvenile Royal "Ball" Python. My S.O. calls the snake "IT". I've only had him about 10 days so there's not too much more to say, except, that Monty's eating well.
That's it for pets. Whew!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks