What's new

The Ipcress File (UK release) (1 Viewer)

Marcus Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
The Ipcress File was released on Blu-ray here a few weeks ago by ITV - I got mine last week.

It doesn't seem to have any region coding. It plays fine on my Region A Canadian PS3. I also have the Anchor Bay/Universal Region 1 DVD so I was able to compare the two. I was watching on a Sony HS10 projector (only 768 lines, not 1080) and a Naim/Yamaha/Proac sound system.

The BD looks like it was done from a much cleaner print than the DVD. It says on the packaging that it has been restored, and I have no reason to doubt that. The DVD has a murky look and colours have a brownish tinge, which is absent on the BD, which has accurate looking colours. They are quite muted, but I'm sure that was the way the film looked originally.

The main problem is that the BD hardly looks any more detailed than the DVD. Perhaps this is just down to the way the film was shot. It seems to have been filmed entirely on location in London during the winter, often in natural light, so they may have been using fast film and wide appertures, which may account for its soft look. I didn't notice any signs of edge enhancement.

The BD has a 640kbps DD 5.1 soundtrack (as well as 2.0), whereas the DVD is DD 2.0 192kbps. The DVD sounds OK, but the music on the BD seems to sound better with better bass extension. The 5.1 soundtack seems to have minimal use of the surround channels, and although I haven't watched it all the way through yet, they don't seem to have added any unnaturally deep bass.

The only extras are a trailer and some stills - no director's commentary.

Anyway, the BD looks and sounds better than the Anchor Bay DVD, but it's only marginally more detailed - don't expect to be blown away. If there is a more recent DVD of the film, transferred from the restored print, it could potentially look very similar to the BD.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've been listening to the soundtrack for months now (along with Barry's early Bond scores), but I've never seen the film. Ordered from Amazon.co.uk just now. Thanks for the tip!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Is the whole score available somewhere? I've been looking for it forever.

Doug

Blimpboy

Agent
Real Name
Darin
I have the soundtrack on CD as a Japanese import. About $15 on ebay. I believe a U.K. SD had the score as an extra 5 years ago as well.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Mine's the 2002 Silva edition. I don't know if it's the complete score, but the tracks are:

1. MAIN TITLE
2. Dialogue "I just love the Army."
3. ALONE IN THREE-QUARTER TIME
4. Dialogue "Is this a promotion, sir?"
5. A MAN ALONE
6. Dialogue "A fair appraisal."
7. MEETING WITH GRANTBY AND FIGHT
8. Dialogue "Do you like music?"
9. JAZZ ALONG ALONE
10. Dialogue "I like birds best."
11. A MAN ALONE (2)
12. Dialogue "Button mushrooms and birds."
13. THE DEATH OF CARSWELL
14. Dialogue "The best meal you've ever eaten."
15. ALONE BLUES
16. Dialogue "There's a dead American agent in my flat."
17. IF YOU'RE NOT CLEAN - I'LL KILL YOU
18. Dialogue "Lose yourself."
19. GOODBYE HARRY
20. Dialogue "You used me."
21. A MAN ALONE (3)
22. (unlisted bonus track)

Marcus Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus
The soundtrack CD is available as a UK 'Silva Screen' release and a Japanese release at the moment, the UK one being a lot cheaper. I have the Japanese version which was the only one available when I got it. This doesn't have the dialogue excerpts mentioned above - I think the UK release has them.

Note that pretty much all the tracks on the CD are just variations on the main theme, which you can get on various compilation CDs.

I notice that the movie isn't available on DVD in the US now, although there seem to be four DVD versions available in the UK. Conversely, when I bought the Region 1 DVD a few years back, the movie wasn't available as a UK release... weird!

Anyway, if you're in the US, unless you have a multi-system multi-region DVD player, the only way to see it is buy the UK BD or buy a used DVD. The BD looks like the better option, especially considering the recent devaluation of the Pound...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a quick bump for this; I've just got ITVDVD BD, owning the Network R2 SE (which includes the soundtrack, the book and some nice extras - not on offer now but I've seen it as low as £7.99) and having owned the R1 AB, and it's a peach, with superb colour (the Beaver has some caps here)

The DD2.0 track is wonderful and provides a great stage for Barry's magnificent score. While I'm not a fan of fake 5.1, that track is one of the better examples; with the state of Sterling, it's an even bigger bargain now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks