What's new

The Devils - coming out on DVD in May (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
That's what people were saying about Cruising for the longest time on internet forums. Yet that title was eventually released, hardcore subliminals and all.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
WHV would never release this film in a cut version because they know they would never hear the end of it and it wouldn't make any money... or very little.

Bump this thread in October to see if my predictions hold true.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
This may be slightly off topic, but BBCamerica appears to be releasing all of Ken Russell early tv films at BBC in one collection. Its mentioned in the "in the works" as at their website. No date set but most likely Summer.
Best
Greg

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I think some think Warner won't farm out their titles and I know they have said that and with that fact in mind they did let Oliver Stone release his cut of NATURAL BORN KILLERS elsewhere. WB only offers the theatrical cut on DVD only. and another point is that this film isn't their run of the mill blockbuster, I think they will have to release it UNCUT or do something else with it.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gordon; the tip from this page at bbcamericashop.com:

Ken Russell at the BBC
When this visionary director burst upon the international scene in 1969 with his bold adaptation of Women in Love, American filmgoers might have imagined that his extraordinary style came out of nowhere. BBC audiences, on the other hand, were able to see his style develop over a number of years through his startling biographies of artistic figures. Russell’s approach was determined by a desire to knock the dust off the biofilm genre: “The whole idea had degenerated into a series of third-rate clichés. I wanted to dress people in old clothes and do it in a totally unreal way, and thus make it more real than ever, and in the process send up this new civil service/academic way of doing films.”

Our collection includes two early films starring Oliver Reed, The Debussy Film and Dante’s Inferno about Dante Gabriel Rossetti, as well as Always on Sunday about Henri Rousseau, Isadora: The Biggest Dancer in the World, A Song of Summer about Frederick Delius, and Dance of the Seven Veils about Richard Strauss.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Cheers, John! No Bartok, though? No Elgar, either. But Delius is there - I love that one. The BFI editions of the latter two are OOP, so this is good news.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Someone posted some mean remarks on The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) and listed This regarding the announcement and cancelation of THE DEVILS dvd.

"The person responsible at Warners is a Ronnee Sass.I think everyone should call this ***** and give her a piece...............Of your mind.
For more info on this *********, Goggle, Ronnee Sass.
Warner Bros Phone #
(818) 954 1744 or (818) 954-1008 "

I deleted all mean remarks.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
You should delete the phone numbers too. Who says it's Sass's fault - some anonymous twit on the IMDB?

I understand that people are disappointed. I am too. But does a mixup over a DVD release justify kiddie tantrums (and possible harassment) ?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
NBK was a special situation. When the MPAA forced Oliver Stone to make 154 cuts to the movie, WB promised him they would allow him to release his director's cut on video. After all the controversy that surrounded the movie, Warners reneged on their promise and cancelled the release. Stone went ballistic so, rather than have a protracted battle in the media over the release of the director's cut, Warners agreed to let him release it through a third party. NBK producer Jane Hamsher writes a good account of the situation in her book, Killer Instinct.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

There's more to the story than that, though. WB co-produced NATURAL BORN KILLERS with Arnon Milchan's Regency Enterprises and StudioCanal, and it is Regency that actually holds the copyright to the film, not WB. So when WB chose not to release the unrated director's cut, they allowed Regency to shop it elsewhere, settling at the former Trimark (now Lionsgate) for its release: if you look on the packaging, Regency's logo is all over the place.
Similarly, even when WB had a "no-NC17" policy, they did release an uncut TRUE ROMANCE because their contract with Morgan Creek, the actual producers and copyright holders of the film, stated that Morgan Creek had final say on the release version. Again, had WB chosen not to release it, Morgan Creek could have taken it elsewhere. When they have a co-partner of that heft, that partner can override them on these kinds of decisions.

THE DEVILS is a fully-owned Warner property, and those kinds of films are the ones that the studio is against sub-licensing.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Even if it just sits in their vault earning NO INCOME?!!? :crazy:

I have personally NEVER understood that sort of thinking.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
i think we can all agree with a film like THE DEVILS this is a special situation WB's seems to be in. I have to say this cause so many think I bad mouth WB lately the fact is they are such a great studio at presenting their catalog titles and they do amazing special editions (Yeah I know that Poltergeist release was a fiasco now known as the worst DVD release let down of 2007) But they make excellent special editions, I think what they need to do with this film especially to get around the idea that it could fall into the hands of buyers that should beware is this.

Make a Special Edtion type set priced retail about $39.99 Have Ken Russell do a commentary track include the BBC documentary and maybe a book dealing with the making of the film. That way this type of release is usually only for the ones who really want the film, it wouldn't be as well stocked at a store like Best Buy. I never ever found The Jazz Singer special edition at a Best Buy only at Barnes and Noble, and Borders stores. If they have to brand it with NC-17 - Best Buy stocked Beyond the Valley of the Dolls like this and it flags the pruchase. No harm in that.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

If this is true, then I would guess that it's definately up for release. I think the only debate is what promo Warners is thinking of. A Ken Russell collection? Controversial Classics? Horror promo?

I saw a uncut fan edit of this, I'd gladly buy a copy of the true directors cut. :emoji_thumbsup:

JackKay

Second Unit
Maybe just the release, (quietly) like so many titles out there every week with no promption.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
It's not like anyone potentially offended by the film has to buy the DVD.

Warner should just release it like every other film they release. Sure they could put a warning of some sort on it, but I see no reason why in 2008 this film should be controversial.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
warner needs to put all the Ken Russell action in a boxset. It's a shame they can't nab his BBC docs to see how he got his street cred. He needs the revitalization

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks