What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Classic Sci-FI Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Last night I finally sat down and watched the last movie on this set "Monster on the Campus." I have to say that I've had more fun with this DVD release than any in recent memory. Issues of proper OAR aside, I've certainly gotten my 20 bucks worth of entertainment. Here's how I personally rated the 5 films:

1. The Incredible Shrinking Man -- An absolute classic with a dark, moving ending.
2. The Monolith Monsters -- Interesting premise and I couldn't get enough of hearing everyone butcher the word "silicon."
3. Tarantula -- Surprisingly good effects and creepy atmosphere.
4. The Mole People -- A solid story but drags too much toward the end.
5. Monster on the Campus -- This is the only one of the 5 that I found myself going MST3K on. If Troy Donahue had asked one more time about Samson I was going to explode -- "No Jimmy, you can't have your damn dog back!"

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Michael, that is exactly how I would rank them too.

The Mole People has been the most maligned film of the 5, but I have a soft heart for it. I just love the make-up for Mole People and I always end up feeling really sorry for them when I watch the film. I have the action figure of one of the Mole Men on my shelf:

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
I think I'd rank them that way too.

In particular, "The Monolith Monsters" has always tended to be overlooked but I regard it as a very fine example of science-fiction of it's time. The effects work is also very impressive.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I watched the "The Monolith Monsters" last nite, as it is my favorite in the set. I know "The Incredible Shrinking Man" is an absolute classic, but for me "The Monolith Monsters" is MORE fun! I'll watch all of the films over time.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm sure I will be accused of sci-fi sacrilege, but my ranking would be:
1) Tarantula
2) ISM
3) Mole Peopple
4) Monolith Monsters

I have never seen MoC, so I have not ranked it yet. Incredible as it may seem, I had never seen the Monolith Monsters till acquiring this set. I didn't find it as interesting as I thought I would.

I have always loved Tarantula. I can think of no better use of a living creature as a monster in any other movie. By that I mean, the use of an actual tarantula to portray the giant beast and not by some other special effect.

I have usually found the use of living animals, say lizards for dinosaurs, usually looks cheap and cheesy. In Tarantula, there are genuinely creepy moments. I like the scenes where the spider pauses at the top of a hill, while he surveys his prey below.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
My $.02

1. The Incredible Shrinking Man
2. Tarantula
3. The Monolith Monsters

G
A
P

4. Monster on the Campus
5. The Mole People

The Monolith Monsters and The Mole People were first time views. It's probably too much to ask for but I'd really like to see more of these sets in the future.

Maybe even delving into their 30's/40's catalog holdings with Island of Lost Souls, Dr. Cyclops, etc.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Jay: I love those Monsters action figures! I don't have the big ones, but I do have the following:

That's my li'l mole guy, third from the right in the top row. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayrel2015
Recent bookmarks