What's new

Directors The Best Film of 2005 Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Advancing

A History of Violence over The Devil's Rejects - 6-2 (I'd give a narrow edge to Rejects)

Brokeback Mountian over Proof - 4-3 (Whew! I can now put off seeing Proof indefinitely)

Round #4 Continutes

vs.

vs.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I just saw "Downfall" on cable (HDMovienet?), and "Cache" (again) on DVD in the last week. Both excellent films. I prefer "Cache".

I also really liked both films in the next matchup, and though the more epic scope of "Youth" makes it feel like a bigger, more significant film, I prefered the careening pace through the harsher emotional terrain - and humor - of The Squid and the Whale. A tough choice.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Advancing

Cache over Downfall - 4-2 (includes my vote)

The Squid and the Whale over The Best of Youth - 2-1 (I'll grudgingly abstain to avoid the tie)

Round #4 Continues

vs.

vs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That can't be true. The Gods Of Film have cast it off as fluff.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
"The New World" - very tough. I liked "The World" alot the first time I saw it, and somewhat less the second (was it my mood?), and I'm anticipating a longer cut of "The New World". I'll stick with my selection, but I feel I could go either way.

"Mad Hot Ballroom" - I can't quite accept this as being one of the best films of the year, though it's certainly worth seeing, but it beats the hell out of "Narnia". And I read a good many of the Narnia chronicles when I was a kid, looked forward to the film, etc. Tilda was great. The rest was not.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I was waiting on Rich as I think he was the only one remaining that had seen this combination of films.

Advancing

The New World over The World - 3-1 (including my vote)

The Chronicles of Narnia over Mad Hot Ballroom - 2-1 (I'll break the tie for Narnia. Ballroom is a very good doc, but I was impressed by how good Narnia turned out to be. I recently saw part of it again and the magic I felt on first viewing still held up)

Round #4 Final Matchups

vs.

vs.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
abstain - no Good Night. I have the disc here, but it's gonna have to wait as Pink Floyd: Pulse commands my full attention tonight.

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks