1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tex Avery's Droopy-Complete Theatrical Collection coming 5-15-07

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tony S, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Screenwriter

Wow!

This is awesome news. Hopefully, they got the same restoration treatment as their other cartoons. ...and bring on the rest of the Avery's. These are by far my favorite cartoons.

It also says that Tom & Jerry V2 is coming 5/15. Is that a typo, and meant to be V3?

3. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

It says Tom & Jerry Tales Vol 2. I don't think it is a typo.

Hopefully these Tex shorts will be uncut.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

OHMYFUCKINGGODYES!

5. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Screenwriter

Joe

Am I in the Twilight Zone? I don't see a thing about this in the link you gave.

6. Eric Peterson

I guess I was seeing things. No interest in T&J Tales.

7. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

8. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I'm curious about the Droopy shorts:
    • How many of them are there?
    • Weren't the Warner animated releases being called golden collections or spotlight collections? Because of this, I wonder if it'll be in the same league as the, for instance, golden collections. I'll hope for the best, cautiously optimistic as always.

9. Douglas R

Douglas R Screenwriter

Doug

I make it 15 in all which would make one disc of about 105 minutes as follows:

Dumb Hounded

Shooting of Dan McGoo
    Wild & Woolfy

North West Hounded Police

Senor Droopy
    Out-Foxed

The Chump Chase

Daredevil Droopy
    Droopys Good Deed

Three Little Pups

Drag-Along Droopy
    Homesteader Droopy
    Dixieland Droopy (Cinemascope)

Deputy Droopy (Co-Director)
    Millionaire Droopy

10. Eric Peterson

As much as I want the Avery cartoons first, I hope they follow up with the remaining Droopy cartoons. I was always partial to "Leprechaun Droopy".

"Quit Hittin' me with that shillelagh!"

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    this is great!! I want all the Tex Averys of course, but I'll gladly take these first!!

Let's pray there are no goof ups like what plagued the previous T&J collections [bites fist].

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

There was also "Wags to Riches" from 1949 (1955's "Millionaire Droopy" is a CinemaScope "recomposition" of this one) and "Droopy's Double Trouble" from 1951 (featuring Droopy's twin brother Drippy). Also, I believe the cartoon from 1950 is called "The Chump Champ" (not "Chase").

That makes a total of 17 shorts.

Regards,

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Wahay you should see my droopy shorts. Russwell! It's a small cyberverse after all! [​IMG]

Great news regarding the Tex Avery Droopy's. I hope the rest of Tex MGM output gets released eventually, there are only how many 65-66? in total.

I watched a bunch of Tex Avery's early Warner Bros work and there are quite a few gems there that could be released as a set eventually. I think there's about 60 Tex Avery WB shorts, including some Bugs, Daffy and Porky Pig. [​IMG]

14. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Screenwriter

Joe
    There's one little problem, as usual with old movies and cartoons. There's at least one joke in one cartoon (and probably more) that would be considered "racist" by today's standards. And I do believe it was excised from the Laserdisc set "The Compleat Tex Avery."

I'd like it restored (fat chance), because, regardless of any other considerations, it was damn funny.

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

Who's this Christoooo fella wit day shorts???

I actually wouldn;t mind if they made repeated Loony tunes in order to make a complete Avery set to go along with the Droops. That would be great. All Avery in one place.

Warners has generally been really good with unrated toons. It seems most of the off colour jokes I recall are from Tex's output, so I would epect them to be doubly sure to make these uncut.

16. Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez Second Unit

There were also 6 Cinemascope Droopys directed by Michael Lah ( IIRC only one of which has been released on Home Video in its OAR thus far) and another one by Dick Lundy, so if WHV wanted to, they could stick those 6 on the Droopy DVD as well.

There are only two Droopy cartoons with Un-PC gags that were cut in the past (I'll plead the fifth on Which two right now), but other than those two, The Droopy series is on the whole pretty PC (moreso than Tom and Jerry).

Also, I would like to know what's keeping the complete Tex Avery DVD set that has been hinted at for years?

17. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    It sounds like they are busting up the Tex Avery boxset that has been available overseas for years. Either they want more money by selling individual sets, or they are trying to somehow avoid releasing some of Avery's less politically correct cartoons. But even the region 2 DVD boxset doesn't contain all the cartoons on the Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc box set, and some of the cartoons that it does contain have cuts or changes.

The Compleat Tex Avery laserdisc box set is the holy grail if your wanting all of Avery's MGM material.

18. Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez Second Unit

Except even THAT wasn't fully uncut.

This could also be Warner releasing a collection of Avery shorts for the "Joe Sixpack" market, or they could be testing the waters to see if there's a market for Non-Tom and Jerry MGM cartoons and thus an Avery boxset.

19. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Yes, but the laserdisc set is the closest thing we have or probably will ever get to "definitive".

Its a shame too, because I always thought the MGM stuff was so much more diverse and had a lot more replay value than the Warner Bros or Disney shorts. They were the most violent (Screwy Squirrel was brilliant), contained rapid fire visual gags, broke the fourth wall constantly, and those fake documentaries were hilarious. I loved watching those "(Fill in the blank) of Tomorrow" cartoons. Avery went for the jugular every time.

20. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Don't forget "Mutts About Racing," another CinemaScope cartoon.