1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tex Avery Box Set!?!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ted Todorov, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Well-Known Member

There is a magnificent looking Tex Avery 4 DVD boxed set out in R2 France. Click here for more info.

Is it scheduled for an R1 release, or should we be buying the R2 set?

Thanks,
    Ted

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    WB, I think, mentioned that Tex Avery sets could come after the Tom & Jerry sets.

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Well-Known Member

That's fantastic news, I never heard it mentioned before. I sure hope they do a complete set, like they did for laserdisc. I've been tempted to buy an LD player just for the Tex Avery box.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Well-Known Member

Can't wait!

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Well-Known Member

I'll buy one for myself and at least 2 as gifts!

6. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

Translation of some details

Looks to be missing 4 shorts from the LD set, but I'm too lazy to figure out which four.

Sounds like the same video masters as the LDs, not restored, and including the original English mono. Hopefully the french subs can be disabled when choosing the English track.

Anybody know of an NTSC version coming anywhere? This would sell well in Japan. I'm wary of an R1 release...very wary (due to PC issues). I'll bet they'd have done a restoration if these were headed to R1 any time soon.

7. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

These better not contain censored versions of the toons if/when it's finally released. Some of the Tex Avery shorts would be deemed far from "politically correct" these days. Magical Maestro immediately comes to mind.

8. MartinTeller

Found this info on another page:

9. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Well-Known Member

FYI, only "Droopy's Good Deed" and "Garden Gopher" are censored on the LD box (for blackface gags), and it is generally considered an oversight as many other cartoons on the set had the same kinds of gags.

Even "Uncle Tom's CabaƱa" is uncensored...and I don't look for that to hit R1 DVD any time soon (hopefully I am wrong).

10. Dick

Dick Well-Known Member

Rick
    Love to see Avery's work on DVD. About the funniest and most inventive of cartoon short gagmen. Even if a set like this winds up coming to region one, I suspect it will not contain the wonderful Lantz cartoons, since Universal greedily hangs on to those and doesn't seem to want to share them with anyone (especially not Warner Bros).

11. Ted Todorov

Sounds more and more like I should have bought that box while I was still in Paris yesterday [​IMG] I just didn't have internet access to post the question earlier.

As best as I can tell, the subtitles are not forced. Of course the only 100% proof method is to put it in your DVD player, but the sites I checked are pretty reliable in indicating if the subs are forced and they say no.

Ted

12. MartinTeller

Funny how this phrase has special meaning of late.

13. James Reader

James Reader Well-Known Member

It's been reported that there are no forced subtitles on the cartoons. However the Limited 5 disc set contains a bonus disc with 2 one hour documentaries on. It's possible that the American archive documentary will have forced French subs, and an all new documentary has been created especially for this set. It's possible that this may be French language?

I'm waiting for my 5 disc LE to come. Despite ordering it on December 1st it's not shipped and Amazon.fr are out of stock. My friend ordered his from Amazon.fr on December 9th (the day before release) and it shipped that day [​IMG]

I hope the LE isn't truely a "Limited" edition - or else it looks like I've missed it [​IMG]

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

thanks for the all the info

[​IMG]

some tough choices to make

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Well-Known Member

Jerry Beck has hinted that there are plans to release a fully restored collection of Tex Avery shorts in the next year so I would avoid this box-set for now as the prints are not remastered.

16. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Well-Known Member

That packaging looks atrocious! Is this thing even legit? The site says it's a Warner release, which I guess makes sense, since they own MGM, but wouldn't these 'toons be more appropriately released under the MGM banner, and in something resembling a professionally designed box?

I recently did a seach on amazon to find out what the original laser boxes for Avery and Tom & Jerry were selling for (to see if I should bother trying to sell mine) and search warranted a 6 DVD set of Tom & Jerry cartoons that were quite clearly bootlegs, although the packaging for each disc looked far superior to this.

oh well, I guess if they bothered to include two documentaries, then there must be some legitimacy to this Avery release.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart

18. Ted Todorov

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    this would be my dream set! I'd rate it higher than the Disney Treasures and the Looney Toons!

I'll hold out for the R1 remasters. A hint from Jerry Beck is probably right on the money, as he hinted about the Looney tunes set in the past.

20. James Reader

James Reader Well-Known Member