What's new

Talking over the music? (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Did a search, but was overwhelmed with all of the red "the"s to find a definitive answer.

I am currently a Sirius listener (I purchased a used vehicle with a couple of months left on the previous subscription!). This is my introduction to satellite radio, and let me say I am "Sirius"ly underwhelmed... sorry for the pun. Like a lot of other posters, I would rather just put my iPod on shuffle. Unfortunately, there are no connection options with my factory radio that I find adequate, so satellite seemed like a viable second choice over cd's and fm radio. Wrong.

Where's the "CD quality audio" I've heard touted? I don't hear it.

All that aside- my real qualm is with the DJ's. I'd prefer that there simply weren't any, but that's apparently too much to expect from commercial-free radio. What REALLY irks me is when they drone on over the song intros. I find myself yelling "SHUT UP" out loud in the car. Is this practice prevalent on XM? If not, I'll become an instant convert. If its more of the same I'll simply let the subscription lapse and wait for an aftermarket iPod hookup that works to my satisfaction...

Thanks-
Jimmy

mylan

Screenwriter
XM channel 40, Deep tracks I think, does have a DJ who reminds me of older, 70's style cool DJ's. This is no problem for me. Most of the other channels do not have a DJ.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have not noticed any DJ's talking over the music on the XM channels that I listen too most (Deep Tracks, Real Jazz, Bone Yard). That was/is a pet peeve of mine, and was one of the principle reasons that I have completely abandoned terrestrial radio in favor of XM.

I agree with mylan's comment about the Deep Track's DJ's. Very much like when I first started listening to radio in the late 60's and early 70's. And typically, when they do speak, its in service to the music.

In addition to talking over the music, my other huge pet peeve are "radio personalities". They suck. All of 'em. If you have nothing to say about the music, then shut the f*ck up. You are not funny.

Last comment...sound quality. You buy sat radio for variety in music and other content. Sound quality (at least for my XM) varies from poor MP3 to passable MP3. It is no where near CD quality, although it does vary by channel.

Brian

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be changing providers soon. I'll be upgrading my home receiver to a Pioneer 84txsi soon, and as it is xm ready, it will provide yet another reason to make the switch...

Thanks again-

Jimmy

Brent T

Second Unit
I have had XM and I switched to Sirius and I honestly have no idea what you channels you are talking about. The "DJs" talk so infrequently that I barely even notice them.

I am interested which channels and which DJs you are talking about. As for the sound quality its something Sirius needs to work on and hopefully they will in the future.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
All afternoon today, Mark Goodman has talked through the song intros, so much so, that I sent an e-mail asking him to PLEASE quit talking over the music! I know... it'll never happen, but I just had to do it.

Unfortunately, I don't know the names of the other DJ' nor do I want to, but I do recall one was a woman and the other two were men. I usually listen to Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind, The Vault, 1st Wave and a handful of other stations, but it seems I've heard talking over the music on all the channels specifically mentioned.

Additionally- I've learned that I have to be very careful when the DJ's break in when I have the kids in the car. On more that one occasion the F-bomb has been dropped. That combined with a few other choice words have led me to scramble for the volume control when one of the DJ's begins to talk. I know its uncensored radio, but come on! Show a modicum of discretion! Shut up and play the music!

Jimmy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Both services have DJ banter into the songs, though on that front,
Sirius is far worse than XM. I definately don't hear as much DJ babble
on XM radio as I did on Sirius.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron-

That is unfortunate. I guess its down to the lesser of two evils...
That Apple/Chrysler late model iPod car adapter can't be released soon enough. Last I read it would be available this Fall.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Jimmy

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
On the commercial free XM stations I listen to, there is very little DJ talk and it is never over the song. I listen to Deep Tracks, Top Tracks, Big Tracks, The Mix and many others. I am thrilled with XM's music selection and presentation, but the sound quality has declined lately (although it is still better than FM).

My daughter likes to listen to Kiss and Top Twenty on Twenty (she is only 13). Those two stations don't seem too bad as far as DJ talk. My 9 year old son likes Radio Disney and that channel drives me crazy. Lots of DJ stuff and the song rotation is very small. But the kids seem to love it.

I have heard here that at least one of the Deep Tracks DJs is a former FM DJ from the 70s (Earl something). The guys I hear on Deep Tracks sound pretty cool, are usually informative and keep it short and simple. Also, there is an earlier thread here about the decline of XM sound quality. Just search for "sound quality" and I'm sure you will find it.

Just curious, is the Mark Goodman you mention the former MTV VJ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To answer that question...

Yes, Mark Goodman as well as other former MTV VJS are on
Sirius Big 80s.

One of the things Sirius is big on is hiring known talent to be
part of their DJ team. They have brought on the likes of former
MTV VJs to Cousin Brucie to just about anyone with a "name"

For that reason, for Sirius, the DJ banter is just as important
as the music they play. Why hire all these known names if they
are going to lie quiet behind the music?

One of the worst things Sirius did was hire Barry Williams (aka
Greg Brady of the Brady Bunch) who absolutely ruined their '70s
channel. He's a god-awful DJ and the subject of many complaints
from their forum website. His banter is full of poorly delivered
Brady Bunch references and after a while it's just plain annoying.

As far as I know, XM really hasn't gone the route of hiring known
names to DJ their channel. They tend to keep the DJ banter as
minimal as possible, letting the music speak for itself.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

For the most part, XM's philosophy is to hire radio guys who know their genre and buy into the XM philosophy of thinking beyond the FM model. They aren't as much into hiring personalities, tho they have had those as well. (Heidi Selexa, who used to be on the 80s channel, and Coolguy on XMLM)

The only guy I remember who comes close to talking over the music is the guy who is on 70s on 7. I haven't paid too much attention to him, but he sounds like the type.

Jason

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I guess I'm in the minority, but I do like some of the DJs. On the other hand, some are annoying. But I like that it gives me the feeling that I'm not just listening to an iPod.
But what DOES bother me is hearing the DJs talk over the music. I wish they would play the songs in their entirety.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks