What's new

Talk about giving your sub a workout !! (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
For LOTR - FOTR: At 10 dB UNDER reference, we recorded several peaks in the 108-109 dB range at the listening position 12 feet from the SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. The cave troll bursting into the room peaked at nearly 110 dB. I agree this soundtrack is mastered on the "hot" side and is very loud at "normal" receiver volume settings.

While LOTR - FOTR is very impressive with bass throughout, I still say the DTS version of The Haunting is TOPS for max'ed out LFE - especially DYNAMIC RANGE. Last night we played Chapter 10 again - officially called Creaky Pipes but more commonly known as the "coming Mother" chapter.

At 6 dB UNDER reference, the soundtrack (i.e., voices/sound effects/music) is not very loud at all - that is UNTIL the BASS hits! We recorded peaks of 112 dB (!!!) TWICE at the listening position during the door knocks during Chapter 10. We also hit a 112 dB peak when the ghost is sent to purgatory. There seems to be no limit to the amount of clean bass the PC+ can dish out - it is amazing.

Without doubt the dynamic range of The Haunting DTS is absolutely the highest I have ever encountered. If you do not own this version of The Haunting, you owe it to yourself to buy it if you are a bass junkie - you will not be disappointed. You need to approach this DVD with caution and work up to loud levels - wimpy subs need not apply.

Ed Mullen

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Edward! Have you listened to Jurassic Park 3 in DTS. Specifically chapter 6? I know the Haunting is incredible, but the shuddering of air from the T-Rex and Spinosaurus is amazing. I'd like to hear what you think of the two.

By the way, I'm running a 16-46PCi.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris!

Yep - JPIII is a true bass buster of a movie! In DTS mode at the same volume level (-6 dB UNDER reference), I recorded 109 dB peaks at the listening position during both the dino fight in Chapter 6, and the battle with the spino in Chapter 16/17, especially when the crane is falling.

Once again, the SVS played things I had never known were even present in this soundtrack - it's another one of those "yep, gotta watch JPIII again to see what we were missing" type deals! It's a rough job, but somebody's gotta do it!

It may not be a true apples to apples comparison, since I have no way to definitively tell which soundtrack (JPIII or The Haunting) is recorded louder overall. My subjective opinion is that the overall soundtrack (voices/music/surround) on JPIII is recorded louder than The Haunting. And since at the same volume setting - both in DTS mode - we recorded 112 dB peaks with The Haunting, I would still have to rate The Haunting DTS tops for bass dynamic range and max SPL.

At near reference levels, the PC+ is almost TOO powerful at 3dB "hot" (i.e., my current setting with all speaker test tones at 75 dB, and the sub test tone at 78 dB). I think Tom V recommends 3dB "cool" for the sub level (i.e., sub would be at 72 dB on the test tone) for true reference listening and I would have to definitely concur with him on this. I don't know how much more the PC+ can dish out, but I doubt it would tolerate a 6dB increase (i.e., going from -21 to -15 on the master volume) on The Haunting. That would equate to 118 dB peaks at the listening position. I'm not even going to try this - the laws of physics still apply and this is still one sub with one 12" woofer (albeit an amazing woofer). If I want to listen to The Haunting at true reference, I'm taking the sub setting down to 3dB "cool" before I do it. That will still give me 112 dB bass peaks, but with a louder soundtrack and voices.

Ed Mullen

Duvall

Agent
Quoting Edward J M:
>>At near reference levels, the PC+ is almost TOO powerful at 3dB "hot" (i.e., my current setting with all speaker test tones at 75 dB, and the sub test tone at 78 dB). I think Tom V recommends 3dB "cool" for the sub level (i.e., sub would be at 72 dB on the test tone) for true reference listening and I would have to definitely concur with him on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks