What's new

Steam News and Bargains thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good info:
2bKMTtn.jpg

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
How much would all those games have cost without the sale but on with their typical common discount? Now that would have been an interesting number.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My prediction:
1 - SteamOS for people to build their own SteamBox.
2 - Retail release of Valve brand SteamBox. (Probably announce other partnerships, too)
3 - Some sort of streaming service to compete with OnLive SteamStream? Pipeline?

Bonus wishful thinking - SteamStreaming on PS4 using Gaikai tech, allowing PS4 to play all of your Steam PC game library over the internets!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Morgan Jolley said:
My prediction:
1 - SteamOS for people to build their own SteamBox.
2 - Retail release of Valve brand SteamBox. (Probably announce other partnerships, too)
3 - Some sort of streaming service to compete with OnLive SteamStream? Pipeline?

Bonus wishful thinking - SteamStreaming on PS4 using Gaikai tech, allowing PS4 to play all of your Steam PC game library over the internets!
I'd like that wishful thinking one. I really do not like playing games on a laptop or PC. I like to sit on a couch and play games, not at a desk.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The SteamOS announcement hinted at my #3 above (streaming service) but I imagine it's going to be a nVidia Shield, Wii U, or PS4/Vita kind of local streaming. Even so, neat.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Morgan Jolley said:
I like your wishful thinking!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Eh. I think modern controllers are what I think of as 95% solutions. They're not 100% perfect but they're more than good enough so that each new iteration just makes minor incremental improvements while the core design philosophy stays the same. So I think this new controller is kind of pointless. I also am really skeptical of no buttons or sticks, even if the early hype (and let's be honest, right now its only hype) is positive.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good article:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/29/what-games-are-steams-big-bet/
For Valve and many other studios the decline and fall of the PC is a slowly dawning apocalypse. Sales of gaming PCs may be up while the rest of the market is down but there’s a point at which the support that comes from the wider PC ecosystem starts to dwindle. Perhaps video cards start not keeping pace. Perhaps driver software becomes less updated. Perhaps commoditized components stop being cheap and PCs become much more expensive. The knock-on effects of this decline could wipe out Valve, Blizzard and a number of others.
However Valve’s second, and largely unique, problem is that a recovery in the PC space implies tighter integration of the platform by Microsoft. With the purchase of most of Nokia and a search for new leadership underway the Wyrm may finally be starting to turn at Big-M. Windows 9 (or 8.5, or whatever) may well turn things around. If it does though it will be for a Microsoft that’s far more interested in device-and-service thinking. It will mean more prominence for the Windows Store. It doesn’t compete much with Steam today but one day it will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks