What's new

Stargate Universe (3rd stargate series!) (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I've only seen two Atlantis episodes, though I couldn't resist an Amazon supersale on the complete set, so eventually I see them all. In any case, I thought it was an interesting episode. One thing that might have helped would have been someone arguing for the therapeutic effects of possibly letting a few of them work out some issues in a more controlled environment.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Well, that was interesting. That, or maybe an act of desperation bringing in two of the main cast members from the original series.

At least the storyline sticks together reasonably well.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Caron

Well, that was interesting. That, or maybe an act of desperation bringing in two of the main cast members from the original series.

And everything is all set up for the two-part season finale starting on June 4. I had been wondering if they were going to get back to how things began at the beginning of the season.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Francois Caron

While I really enjoyed seeing Jack and Daniel in action together again, I would have liked to have seen Daniel have at least one additional scene in the ep. As it was, his participation was all too brief.

In any event, it was a heck of a good ep overall with some fantastic acting on display. And it was fairly gratifying to finally see some of the questions raised in "Air Part 1" being answered.

IMO, this was the best episode since "Time".

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I too will be watching the finale but Im in two minds whether to watch Season 2. The show itself has great potential and that is what largely keeps me watching. The actors are all largely good and they seem to be finally moving towards some plot developments.

And that is what has largely killed the show for me - the main plot that is supposed to be driving the show forward is painfully slow for me (are they ever going to explore more of the ship ?) and the little plot threads to do with the characters are not that interesting and sometimes very dull.

i will probably give Season 2 a couple of episode because you know its going to end on a cliffhanger but if it turns out to be more of the same in Season 2 Im going to have to give up.

Shame because it still has so much potential

mike caronia

Second Unit
I'm a huge fan of all the Stargate series. And am really enjoying Universe.

BUT, every week I find myself trying to figure out if Colonel Young is wearing a toupee or not.

I say yes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Part 1 of the season finale last night. We know some minor cast members are probably going to die, but will any of the major ones?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The last couple of episodes have been good. If they'd lose their reliance on the stones for "sex back home" stories, I'd be more on board. I'm hoping next week's finale will give the show some kind of new direction beyond surviving on the outbound ship.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Greg, if I never see a sex back home scene again, it'll be too soon. I'm on board, though.

In the most recent episode, I didn't understand why Col. Young was so hell bent on being secretive about his intentions with suffocating Rush/Telford. If we saw such an explanation, it'd remove some of the tension for the audience. (For a movie length version of that scene, watch the movie Unthinkable starring Samuel L. Jackson and Carrie Moss when it hits DVD/BluRay June 15th). But I can think of no reason it made sense within the show.

If I were king for a day and wanted to have the audience anxious while still having the characters know what's going on, I'd have had the characters do a misdirect where you think they're saying one thing, but they're actually saying another. They could stil cast worried glances, and occasionally implore "Colonel!" But the audience would think the characters are worried about an outright murder whereas we'd find out later they knew the plans, but were just worried whether it would work, or there'd be an accidental murder. That way, you don't have the Col. Young being pointlessly obtuse.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This is a show working way to hard to come up with a bad guy. Which is something that Atlantis ran into.

What's wrong with having this as an "exploration" show; yes, they run into bad guys along the way, but the show sets itself up to be a more "mystery" show.. why did the Ancients travel this way (some of them), what was there goal? Did some of them get off along the way? Did they leave clues? Can we find cool civilizations that suddenly need help or just puzzle pieces?

I think we're struggling with the stones to keep involving earth, etc. when the better storyline is to just say "every week is a new, self contained episode basically with the master arch of the show being: what do we find at the end, and how do all these little mysteries add up?"

Bringing in old enemies, etc.. YAWN

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm actually liking this series more. It's moving away from ALL of the conflict being internal to more of it being external, and more of the 'crew' acting like a 'crew'. I'm still hopeful that Wray dies or somehow leaves the ship (no offense to Ming Na) and that they actually USE the stargate more, but it's getting better.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Part 2 just finished. Now we have to wait until October for Part 3. Many cliffhangers here - some of which are slightly spoiled by scenes from the next episode that just appeared on the screen way too quickly.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I know cliffhangers are all the rage, but I wish they had largely resolved the situation and maybe hanged us on a new development. I guess it seems like the ship takeover was a little played out since the last two episodes were probably meant to be aired as a two-hour thing.

I saw Knepper in the previews. He generally adds to everything (though, he couldn't help Heroes too much).

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I know cliffhangers are all the rage, but I wish they had largely resolved the situation and maybe hanged us on a new development. I guess it seems like the ship takeover was a little played out since the last two episodes were probably meant to be aired as a two-hour thing.

I saw Knepper in the previews. He generally adds to everything (though, he couldn't help Heroes too much).
That's what happens when a second season is preordained with writers who don't know how to write endings. How many shows have you seen that have great 40 minute setups and lame 90 second conclusions? (or none at all)

They did the same thing with Sanctuary.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
This wasn't satisfying end of the season. In fact, the last two episodes should have been rolled into one. Don't know if I will watch this next season.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm pretty sure they were intended to be one episode, but Sci-Fi didn't want them to air it that way. That's just a guess, but I know the first three were considered by the production crew to be the pilot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the two are one on the DVD set. I do think it hurt the effect, as I said above, since it felt like the second hour should pretty much resolve the situation set up in the first. It's hard to be mad at them for leaving us on a cliffhanger, since that's standard, but I'm not that enthused about seeing the resolution at this point.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Nah, I'm hooked in enough to return in October. Plus, Knepper. If we get a lot of rock and stones, I can drop out at any time.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Arild /forum/thread/254416/stargate-universe-3rd-stargate-series/210#post_3701150

Nah, I'm hooked in enough to return in October. Plus, Knepper.

Ah yes, Knepper. Looking forward to that myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks