What's new

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As much as I don't want him to, I think it'd be hilarious if J.J. Abrams released the film on home video as a tweaked Special Edition.

Brian Kidd said:
What is crazy is that Walmart and other B&M stores have been selling pre-orders for the digital copies since the movie was released. While that isn't unusual, what is unusual is the price: $24.95. Nope. Not paying $25 for a digital copy with paltry bitrate and substandard sound that I can't play any time I want on any working player. Disney is out of their minds charging that much.

Especially since I'm assuming at least one version of the Blu-Ray will come with a Disney Movies Anywhere digital copy.

Dave H said:
It was finished in 2K.

Thanks Dave. That would seem to preclude a UHD release, since the functional difference in resolution between the 2K DCI (2048x858) and the standard Blu-Ray (1920x804) would be negligible.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
As much as I don't want him to, I think it'd be hilarious if J.J. Abrams released the film on home video as a tweaked Special Edition.

Especially since I'm assuming at least one version of the Blu-Ray will come with a Disney Movies Anywhere digital copy.

Thanks Dave. That would seem to preclude a UHD release, since the functional difference in resolution between the 2K DCI (2048x858) and the standard Blu-Ray (1920x804) would be negligible.

If they do a UHD version with HDR and P3, I think it could be worthwhile. The format will be 10 bit with even better compression, so I think all of those factors will be more important as a whole than native 4K. With that said, given it was filmed on 35mm it would have still been nice to see in full resolution glory. However, almost all new films are finished in 2K so it will take some time before they transition to 4K finishing.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Colin Jacobson said:
That's because there is no release date. The Blu-ray hasn't been officially announced - and presumably won't be announced for a good month or more.

Amazon slaps up this pre-order links immediately just to get people to "commit" when the movies are new. They don't reflect official studio announcements...

I ordered this on 1-5-16 and until today my delivery date said 1-26-16. Today it says "We need a little more time..."

I always thought 1-26 was a little too soon for this to be released.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Steve_Pannell said:
I ordered this on 1-5-16 and until today my delivery date said 1-26-16. Today it says "We need a little more time..."

I always thought 1-26 was a little too soon for this to be released.

Ya think? :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Neil S. Bulk said:
So even with the increased expense and prevalence of 3D screenings, more than half the money was brought in from 2D screenings? Interesting.

Neil

Talk about seeing the glass as half empty instead of half full. :P

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That info is incorrect. More money was made from 3D than 2D. I'll dig up the link.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From Deadline a few weeks ago.

"A whopping 57% of TFA's gross is from 3D! who said 3D was dead??

AvatarOf course, in this era, what has propelled Force Awakens to this B.O. benchmark faster than Avatar is the immense supply of 3D and digital screens. Since 2010, digital screens — which enable exhibitors to program more showtimes at a moment’s notice to meet demand — have shot up 168% to 41,518. Of that amount, 39% or 16,146 are 3D digital. Rentrak’s PostTrak reports that 45% of all audiences watched Force Awakens in RealD3D, 42% in 2D, and 12% in Imax. "

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but side a 3D showing is 27x the price of a regular ticket and IMAX is an extra 32x on top of that, it really translates into 0.0000023% of the audience actually seeing TFA in 3D and/or IMAX

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think that post was some kind of joke...I just don't get it. [emoji848]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Something tells me we're not going to get a domestic 3D release. Gonna have to import from the UK again.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Aside from the Star Destroyer sticking out of the screen, I don't recall anything standing out for a 3D effect while watching this. Maybe I was too immersed in the fact that I was enjoying a Star Wars film again finally. Anyway, I'm really hoping for a UHD release even if 2k. Less compression, HDR, I'll take it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There was a 4K DI for the 2D version.

According to the latest issue of American Cinematographer, that's not the case. The DCP was completed at 2K across the board, different versions included a 2K 2D DCP, an 2K 3D DCP, and a 2K IMAX 3D DCP. The original negative was scanned at 4K resolution but the digital intermediate (DI) was done at 2K, and all of the DCPs are 2K.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Aside from the Star Destroyer sticking out of the screen, I don't recall anything standing out for a 3D effect while watching this. Maybe I was too immersed in the fact that I was enjoying a Star Wars film again finally. Anyway, I'm really hoping for a UHD release even if 2k. Less compression, HDR, I'll take it.
The shot looking down as Rey sledded down the sand dune showed impressive height.

Neil

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recall BB-8's intro having a nice little 3D moment - he bleep bloops, then rolls to the front of screen, pokes his head out into the audience, and then retreats back into the screen and goes rolling towards the tent that Poe is in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks