What's new

"Star Wars" live-action TV series shelved (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joey Gunz

What George Lucas could do is instead of giving "Star Wars" to one of the major TV networks (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC & CW), he could opt for one of cable TV's premium channels such as HBO, SHOWTIME, TMC, STARZ, CINEMAX, ENCORE, EPIX, etc. He may not be able to do 24 episodes per year but 10 or 12 episodes per year isn't too bad.

The channel that it would air really doesn't have any bearing on the situation. Like the Star Wars sequels and The Clone Wars series, LFL will fund the entire show on its own and then basically sell it to a network.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Will_B

What George Lucas could do is instead of giving "Star Wars" to one of the major TV networks (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC & CW), he could opt for one of cable TV's premium channels such as HBO, SHOWTIME, TMC, STARZ, CINEMAX, ENCORE, EPIX, etc. He may not be able to do 24 episodes per year but 10 or 12 episodes per year isn't too bad.

I think the premium cable channels would all eagerly jump at the chance to get involved regardless of the cost. STARZ has been on a rampage these past couple of years looking for new series to compete against HBO so I would think they would be especially eager to land the "Star Wars" franchise. George Lucas just has to be realistic and be open to other options. The standard TV channels may offer more viewers but the premium channels will offer more artistic freedom and money.

This live-action series is absolutely doable.

The problem with that is that Lucas wants to get to 100 episodes as quickly as possible so it can go into syndication and he start making some big money off of it. According to IMDB Jerry Seinfeld got $225,000,000 for the syndication rights to Seinfeld and I'm sure a Star Wars series could attract a similar number.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Lucas will love you then. The irony of your example though -- "No, I don't really agree. I'm a fan of Doctor Who and some of the older episodes have terrible scripts and performances but I still enjoy them because they're fun" --- is that Doctor Who always manages to entertain because despite terrible special effects and middling performances, the scripts were always by some of the best and brightest writers around, and never failed to entertain. The Doctor could be trapsing around the same clay pit for the 10th time, and yet the show remained great. You don't need a billion dollar budget to make a fantastic show, and Doctor Who proved that year after year.

I should point out that scripts are not just dialogue, in case that is how you are interpreting it. The script includes all the "fun" parts that aren't spoken, as well.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Originally Posted by SilverWook

And I don't buy the rose colored glasses argument. Many fans ripped on Return of the Jedi when it came out, and still do.

Here's an example of a negative review from a 1983 usenet post:

http://groups.google.com/group/net.sf-lovers/browse_thread/thread/2d3fa02c5d4f81c8/2f927f96c43ca9e4?q=insubject:Return+insubject:eek:f+insubject:the+insubject:Jedi#2f927f96c43ca9e4

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There were bad reviews for The Empire Strikes Back (and Star Wars) too so what does an old Usenet review prove? Like I said before, many people are willing to give a pass to alot of the flaws in Return Of The Jedi but nitpick every part of the prequels.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Laughable that only now is cost an issue. Is Lucas trying to tell us he allowed movie scale/cost scripts to be written for a television based target? Hilarious and sad at the same time if true.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
More likely that in the current environment, it's harder to get funding, secure networks and ad rates, and so on.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A possible factor but the issue seems to be more about not tailoring the scripts for the intended medium.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ LFL didn't do that for Young Indiana Jones either though. Today, lots of TV shows try to look like a movie (with varying degrees of success) but Young Indy did that a decade before anyone else was really doing it and I would expect an even more 'movie quality' vibe from the Star Wars show than Young Indy had.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There's been a lot of news lately on the Star Wars live-action TV show, which is still some years away. Seems like McCallum is out there perhaps trying to drum up financial support. Here are a few articles:

'Star Wars' TV series 'is Empire Strikes Back on steroids' http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a360041/star-wars-tv-series-is-empire-strikes-back-on-steroids.html

What's going on with that live-action 'Star Wars' TV series? EW found out. http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/11/star-wars-live-action-tv-series/

The long-awaited Star Wars live-action TV series finally gets a name! http://blastr.com/2012/01/star-wars-live-action-ser.php

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ugh! I'm just tired of waiting for it. In 2005 it was said to happen is a few years(approx. 2009) then it was stated probably 2012, or 13, and now 5 or more years before the technology is cheaper? It's just mean to keep SW fans on a string like this. Bottom line: If it is that much of a struggle to make it happen, then it probably shouldn't happen at all. Pretty sure the ratings, and home video sales would be through the roof but what do I know? I'm just someone that has been eager of seeing this since it was first mentioned.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
ABC says it is in talks for a Star Wars TV show:

“It’s all a little bit hush-hush,” Dungey said. “That company exists under a big shroud of secrecy. If you feel Marvel’s secretive, [Lucasfilm] takes it to a whole other level … [Talks] are ongoing. We don’t have an official timeline yet.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/04/abc-star-wars-series

I've always wanted to see the scripts from the aborted series, which Ron Moore had a hand in writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks