What's new

Star Wars LD (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I was cruising around ebay to see what Star Wars LD's are worth these days since I need a little extra cash. Low and behold I find this auction: *link taken out* where it's going for $200! I dont' know how he got people to bid that high but I didnt' pay even a third of that for my copies. Is this just a mad scramble to find copies since these versions may never be released on DVD? I'd like to keep my set, but if I can make anywhere near that I think I might be willing to part with mine.

*edit* I see they are unopened, but that is still a high price for them.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
That auction is for a sealed collecction, but other than that, yes it is a little high. Youll notice there are plenty other auctions selling for much less. The 1995 THX faces, mint condition opened set is going for around $100 or more lately. The 1989 widscreen set can be found for around $50 or less. (A fellow HTF sold his for under $10 recently) The definitive collection usually goes for $150 or more.

I own all 3 versions on LD. I got my definitve collection for $75, my "faces" for $50 (ESB and ROTJ unopened), and the 1989 widescreens for free from a buddy. Ive also created some pretty nice "back ups" on DVD-R.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
LOL... back when EAVlaser was clearing out all their LDs, I got the "Faces" THX versions, sealed, for $7 each. :)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Doesn't make much sense to me - IMO, there's hardly any reason to pay more for sealed copies of LDs. A used copy has been checked for quality, so to speak, but who knows what a sealed copy is like?

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I remember I got the faces really cheap when I joined the Columbia House LD club back in the day. I paid $1 a piece for them, so $3 plus shipping for the whole set. It was awesome because back then they were $60 a piece retail. What a savings!

AJG

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That is way too high for the Faces discs. I've seen the Definitive Collection go for that high, and even the SEs for ~200, but never the Faces.

I picked up my Definitive Collection off of eBay a couple year ago for 96 and bought the SEs from someone on the forum for the fantastic price of 50.

Mikah Woodward

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a bidding war to me. Several people latch onto an auction and they all have to have it and are willing to pay unreasonably high prices, even if there are cheaper auctions open with the exact same item.

Just recently I saw a (rather rare) game that still has time left in the auction for $170, and I saw another auction for the exact same game with a $100 starting bid end without a single bid.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
FYI I think it is against the Forum rules to be posting eBay links.

That being said, it's good to know that my $32.50 Faces set is now worth about three times that. :)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I took the link out to be safe. The winning bid was $240. Unbelievable. I should really put mine up and see if I can get even close to that.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I just sold my used faces last month and got about $30 each.;)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Aaron, I also got the faces THX editions
from Columbia House for only $8 for all three.:D
I just played them recently and they are still in good
shape- no rotting yet. With the rumors circulating that
dear George is doing more tinkering with the original
trilogy, the LDs will only go up in value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks