What's new

Star Wars discussion from The Bits... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If the financial thing has merit, fine, release them as BONUS FEATURES. But at least make the BONUS FEATURES be anamorphically enhanced like the other Star Wars DVDs bf's are.
And also, the Original STAR WARS, not Epsiode IV... was the version nominated for BEST PICTURE of 1977 as well as about 10 other oscars even though it was just a "work in progress" which in reality, almost all art is. (I have music and songs I have written and recorded that were never as good when finished as they were in my mind but I let them go as they were and moved on to other projects.) The SEs were never nominated for anything IIRC. For film history's sake, these films should be preserved and proudly shared.

d

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I too, would suggest that anything to do with Mr. Lucas' personal life has no place on this board.

For Vile Gossip I'd suggest going to Automobile Magazine.

RAH

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I just thought it was an interesting read that others may want to take a look at since it's being posted in other SW forums. It certainly isn't meant to shift focus away from what's going on here and there are actually some good points made in the editorial about the transfer process, marketing, fan reaction, etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Don't change my words. I said this was my best "guess."

Listen, there are a lot of talented people in the DVD industry
who are as passionate about this format as they are for proper
film preservation and presentation.

I can only guess what the overall Industry reaction is when
being asked to release a 13-year-old transfer of STAR WARS on
DVD non-anamorphic.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

Actually, that footage in Empire of Dreams looks horrible. I don't know why people think it looks good -- it looks to me like it came from an older video source. If you're in the camp that thinks the crawl in Empire of Dreams looks good, I imagine you'll be perfectly happy with the non-anamorphic transfers.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I can only speak for myself, but if even slightly accurate, it engenders my sympathy and I would be inclined to be a little less harsh and caustic in my criticism from now on.

but that is all I will say on it.

in the mean time I'll try to draft a nice, concise, and civil letter to LFL, though - much more civil than I had been planning to do prior. But if there are financial issues wrapped up in personal issues ( beyond the "I'm not comfortable with them" response), then it just seems to me this is going to be a very hard sell.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
UPDATE

Have spoken with editors from both Home Media Retailing
and Video Store Magazine. They are both very interested
in covering this story. Monday deadlines have been reached so it
will be another week before these stories emerge.

Two very funny stories....

When I spoke with one of the magazines, I was told that their
office was already "buzzing" about this Star Wars issue by staff
who read this forum prior to my phone call. Seems like everybody
who is a fan is taking notice of the injustice being done to this set.

Also, I happened to venture to another noteable DVD discussion
forum and had a good laugh. Their members are reporting that Bill
Hunt has got his facts wrong since his information didn't come from
Lucasfilm or Fox.

Well, let me help set the record straight. What Bill has reported
is absolute truth. Please let the other forum(s) know that you read
it here and on THE BITS first and it has been verified!

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
While I'm a bit disappointed in the news regarding the transfer of the original films it's definatley not the end of the world.

How many times did we here Lucas say, "The originals dont exist". George Lucas is probably the only director that considers his work a 'work in progress'. I am old enough to remember the originals just like the rest of you, but I guess I'm in the minority of those impressed with the way the SE's look and am happy with all the additions and changes (minus the Greedo shooting first deal). But seriously, how many times are you actually going to watch these?

The improvements they have made with these films far outweigh any nostalgia of the originals. I for one am content with what is out now. If the originals are considered an 'extra' then so be it. This won't be the last time we see SW released. The next 'wawa' will be for HD, then the originals in HD. It won't ever end.

Also please consider that Blue Ray has not won any format war. From Sony's E3 presentation, the PS3 got mediocre response at best. And I know there were alot of fanboys here banking on the PS3 pushing Blue Ray into homes. Not with that price.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
That editorial is disgusting, and doesn't merit even the benefit of the doubt. Really, guys, we're better than that.

I think.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I think that if you actually got what you just asked for here -- a totally unrestored straight transfer of the films -- you'd scream bloody murder when you saw it.

Don't get me wrong -- I have a nice TV, and I'd like a clean, anamorphic transfer of the non-SE films. But the prevailing opinion that you can just slap the film into some machine and out the other end will come a nice DVD transfer is really misguided.

The issue is whether or not to spend money on a restoration. They have a restored transfer, but it's old and non-anamorphic. They can add that to the package for next to nothing, or spend the money on a full scale cleanup of the originals.

That seems to be the sticking point -- spending the time and money to do it right.

Perhaps they've studied the loss in sales expected if they release this non-anamorphic and concluded that the dip in sales will be less than the cost of the restoration?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
first part last

I said before, I and i suspect many other would be more than happy with an approximation of the originals. Yes, a scene like the entrance to Mos Eisley would have to be sourced from something inferior, as well as the checkpoint scene because it has a little hovering robot in the backgorund- but there are many, many, many other shots and sequences in the films that have absolutely no large, in your face, modifications- and could certinaly be used in toto.
I think it is really disingenuious to suggest that the majority of these films have been tampered with beyond repair or redress.
An approximation could certainly be done.

ZackR

Supporting Actor

I most certainly do not want updated effects. Not at all. I want the original versions of these films with the original effects that earned multiple Academy Awards.

I only hope that that everyone calls/faxes/emails Lucasfilm and Fox to express their dissatisfaction with what we are apparently getting with these discs. As I said in my post in the other thread, people at Lucasfilm are at least aware of the discussion here. Let's hope they listen...

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

From the number of people who think that the films are 75-90% restored already because of the SEs and only need a shot replaced here and there, I have to believe that they either don't know or don't care about the majority of the changes.

But regardless, that makes it a bigger task -- the composite shots are the ones that have faded to virtually nothing and therefore need the most restoration work. To get back to 1977 by working from second or third generation material rather than by recompositing the original shots will certainly yield a less-good final product.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Count me among those who love the original OT films, but who aren't feeling any great interest in the non-anamorphic DVD releases. I already own the 1993 laserdiscs, and will not be inclined to spend further money for these films if Lucasfilm isn't going to offer me a significant upgrade in video quality after thirteen intervening years. Which is a pity; if I these releases were going to represent Lucasfilm's usual commitment to quality audio/video, I'd be the first in line at the store on the day of release.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

I agree. But as you can see from the other replies, some people decidedly don't want that. Personally, I'd be fine with it -- the narrative changes are the ones that bug me, not the recompositing or even the little floating robot.

It would end up being like the fake original theatrical version of Close Encounters that Criterion put together for LaserDisc -- narratively, it was the original theatrical version, but it had all of the updated effects in it. While I'm still curious to see the "real" original theatrical version, it's not a really pressing issue for me.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Let's see... I've bought the Definitive Collection on LaserDisc three times, off eBay, for approx $500 all told.

However. Anamorphic or not-anamorphic, the OT will cost $100 to fix...

It stinks (but really shouldn't be a surprise), but I'm going to have to get them.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
For the record, so that my position is clear -- without anamorphic enhancement, there is no good reason for me to purchase these, and I will continue to enjoy my LaserDiscs. However, if they are anamorphic (or at least present a large image quality improvement over the LaserDiscs), I will happily purchase them the first day they're available.

I waited two hours at my LaserDisc store of choice for their shipment to arrive with the "faces" LDs in them, and paid $70 each, a total of $210, on the first day they were available back in 1995. I'm not shy with my Star Wars spending -- but I also won't spend without a compelling reason to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks