What's new

Star Wars discussion from The Bits... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I feel rotten about saying this, but purely based on the timing,
it's very tough for me to buy into this generosity thing.

It *seems* that Mr. Lucas waited until he was able to sell
Special Editions to the public and wait until the introduction
of HD (and the possible demise of standard DVD) before attempting
to sell the Star Wars films one last time. It looks more of a business
decision that was timed perfectly.

Why not sell Star Wars on standard DVD one last time (while you
can) before starting the entire process all over again on the new
HD format?

Personally, if I were Mr. Lucas, this would be the most brilliant
marketing move I could ever make.

How many times have we seen the studios repackage their
product over and over again? Even more than ever, studios
are repackaging older titles at a faster pace as if they knew
this may be the last time they can sell it on the standard DVD
format.

If George *really* wanted to be generous, he would make
a definitive STAR WARS TRILOGY (new and original versions)
available as one of the first Blu-Ray releases. Offer it now so
we don't have to continue buying it all over again and again.

Sorry for my attitude on all this. After having to buy these
films a half dozen times over my lifetime, I just don't completely
buy the generosity factor.

As far as my views on Mr. Lucas not releasing these films
anamorphic? I think that if he really wanted to be generous
to his fanbase, he would have put a little more effort into
releasing these films in a manner that conforms to 2006
technology. How can anyone in this day and age release a
title of this magnitude non-anamorphic?

Even for those who don't agree that the films need anamorphic
treatment and would just be over enhanced, you can't deny the
fact that there are just too many of us that want these films to
fill our widescreen sets.

And transfers that are 13 years old?! Generous indeed!

If, by chance, I am underestimating the generosity of Mr. Lucas,
I deeply apologize. Perhaps I feel he is equally underestimating his
fanbase.

Yes, it's a great gesture that George is finally making these original
versions available for us. He certainly has the right to release these
DVDs in any manner he deems fit.

I think Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits said it best....

Anamorphic enhancement is the widely accepted industry
standard for the presentation of widescreen films on DVD

Please continue to post your opinions here in a constructive and polite
manner amd certainly, send letters to [email protected] and include
a link back to this thread if you'd like.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Civily, yet strenously, here is how I feel about this release...

When every other Star Wars supplement on DVD has been presented in anamorphic widescreen, to learn that the original, unaltered trilogy would be presented non-anamorphically completely deflated the considerable enthusiasm I had for this release. To put it in its simplest terms: It went from a slam-dunk, sure-fire, buy one copy to watch and another to archive to maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list and maybe somebody will buy it for me. That's quite a swing for a couple day's time.

For a company that prides itself on presenting the best picture and sound possible, this is a preplexing decision that seems to fly in the face of its own standards. One would think that one of the main reasons for this release was made was to combat piracy; however what is being offered to us is little better than what is currently flooding the black market.

Finally, this release is now being perceived in some quarters as a slap in the face to some of the very fans that were the target market. Whether that was the intent or not is beside the point, this is genuinely how some people feel. This release had a real chance to mend the fences between Lucasfilm and those Star Wars fans that have been put-off by the decision to not release the original, unaltered trilogy for so long now. There's not much good will left with some of us, and a decision like this will squelch what little is there for some permanently.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
so what would be the most appropriate way to draft an e-mail to LFL?
Should I write a seven paragraph biography of my life and relationship to this franchise? or just a pithy one paragraph voicing my displeasure and intent?

does anyone actually read these in full?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Separation masters are derived as Yellow, Cyan and Magenta filtered units on 35mm fine grain separation stock, from Eastman Color negatives.

Three-strip Technicolor exposed three 35mm black and white negatives through beam splitters and filters, effectively splitting the color spectrum into thirds.

One can recomposite separations masters in the same way that three-strip Technicolor negatives or masters are handled.

It is the technologies that are different. One is original, while the other is derived.

As far as dye transfer prints of Star Wars, only the first would have been produced. Technicolor Hollywood shut down its dye transfer facilities in 1974 with Godfather 2. The dye transfer prints of Star Wars came out of Technicolor London, which closed their dye transfer technology in 1977.

RAH

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I was a kid when the OT came out. I saw them all in the theater. I saw (and loved) the SEs. I saw (and loved) the PTs. I bought the 204 DVDs and love them too.

Bottom line is that I have agreed with all of Lucas' creative choices, etc., since the OT came out. Thus, I can hardly be accused of being bitter, critical, whining, etc.

That said, I think this is a big mistake on the part of Lucasfilm. Many fans like me have invested a lot of money in home theater systems: digital sound, widescreen TVs, etc. Part of the reason we do this is because the original Star Wars films introduced us to a love of film and cinema, and we like to recreate that in our own homes.

So for Lucasfilm to release the original cuts of the movies in non-anamorphic widescreen--which was below industry standards 6 years ago--well, that doesn't make a lot of sense to many of us who were 6 or 8 years old back in 1977.

I won't be buying the DVDs this fall if they are non-anamorphic. I will buy a future release of the original cuts if they are.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
These films should be fully restored with an eye towards eventual release in HD, which would be impossible with 1993-era laserdisc transfers. The longer Lucasfilm waits the more difficult of a reality that may ultimately end up being (though with future advancements in technology theoretically anything is possible.) My personal favorite version of the films doesn't even exist except in my own mind, as there are bits I like here and there from all past releases. That said, from a purely historic standpoint these films need to be preserved in as close to their original states as possible for future generations.

Not to be indignant, but the Lucas empire and all involved have made an incredible bounty off of this franchise and it's time they threw the fanbase a bone. In fact, if this is the best effort they are inclined to offer in presenting the original versions of the films on DVD I say they owe purchasers of the DVD box set from 2004 the opportunity to send in for a free (or at least nominal cost plus s/h..I'm not an ogre) copy of these "bonus" discs. I will definitely add my name to the list of those not purchasing this set (as it stands now) come Sept. 12.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have received a personal message from someone on HTF querying what the cost of a reconstruction / restoration would be.

The simple fact is that in terms of the income to be derived, a pittance and hardly anything that matters.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In case LucasFilm is reading this, I'll just say that I would love to buy an anamorphic unaltered original trilogy, even if no cleanup work is done. I won't buy the non-anamorphic version. But, regardless of any of that, I really hope you will let Mr. Harris work his magic on the films. Even if the public never sees the results, steps need to be taken to make sure these films aren't lost somewhere down the road. I'm sure it would be a huge benefit for your eventual HD releases to have this work done.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Also, Sept. 12th is my birthday so it would be a nice present, George!
(Just trying to keep the mood up and optimistic...) This thread is cruising along nicely now, let's all keep it on track.

:) d

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

It was mentioned in the thread that got closed down how someone at LFL is apparently getting all of these e-mails. That same person was also made aware of the backlash that's occurring on this forum so hopefully she will get the message out to the "higher ups" who need to know how upset the community is about this issue.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. For a film franchise that has taken in over $4 billion in box office receipts and over $12 billion in merchandising, I don't think spending a few million dollars(if it's even that much) on restoration is too much to ask. Besides, they would make that money back a thousand times over in DVD sales. I hope the people at LFL are reading this and realize how imporant it is for them to do this thing the right way.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Would those Eastman Color negatives be prone to fading or do they hold up? I'm guessing they last, otherwise, what would be the purpose of having them made? Could they be used for a film restoration? They could be the very best record of what Star Wars looked like in 1977.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Since LFL is looking at this, I wanted to also state my official stance of not buying non-anamorphic releases of widescreen films on DVD. It is not a question of "who owes whom anything". It's the fact that anamorphic enhancement is an industry standard (try to compile a list widescreen major studio release in the last few years that are non-anamorphic).

I cannot believe that someone like the esteemed Robert Harris is offering his services and that the company in question is not jumping at the chance to work with him.

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
Just thought I'd chime in here since we have the attention of LucasFilm.

I was thrilled, to say the least, when the announcement was made two weeks ago. Even though these prized discs were being released as "bonus material" (which really does feel like a slap in the face) and packaged with the SEs which are already owned by those who want them, I was still ready to be there on the 12th and plunk down my cash. But since the news that these will not be anamorphic came out I was totally deflated. I own a widescreen TV and certainly don't want to see a little rectagle floating in the middle of that screen when I watch the films. That is certainly not how they looked when I saw them in theatres originally! I will definitely have to pass on these releases unless changes are made. I mean, personally, I don't mind if there are little flecks and scratches here and there (though a full and proper restoration would be preferable) but they must be anamorphic and from the best available sources (not LD masters).

So why not do it right and then ALL the fans will be happy and we can get back to goofy and nerdy debates about the characters etc.

Cheers,
Dave

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to recall that the Feb. 1997 issue of "American Cinematographer" has more detailed information on what exact state the original negatives for "Star Wars" were in around the time of the Special Editions than was given in most of the press surrounding the re-releases. Does anyone have a copy handy?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The problem with original Star Wars negative elements should not be in the production footage, but rather in the Color Reversal Internegative (CRI) footage, used for compositing of effects.

This footage should have been faded within a decade or so.

As I recall there are several effects shots in Star Wars.

RAH

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with The Bits, Ron and others who have stated that the fact these films aren't being presented anamorphically is disappointing. When I first heard the OOT was being released, like everyone else, I was surprised and elated. But the elation quickly turned to disappointment after hearing the films would be ported from the 1993 LD's. Coming from GL, who has and is pushing the bounds of theatrical presentations of films, whether visually or sonically, this decision seems strange. To me this is a giant step backwards. He has to know the picture quality of this on a 16x9 tv will be less than desirable.

The way I'm going to voice my displeasure is by not buying these dvds when they are released. As others have stated, I have purchased countless versions of these films. Even though I may initially miss out on the OOT dvds, something tells me they will pop up on the 30th Anniversary Editions. They are going to milk this cash cow for all it is worth. GL owes me nothing. If this is how he chooses to release his movies, that is his right. I guess I'll just have to be more selective in my upgrade of the SW dvds.

Chris

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
The American Cinematographer issue covered the CRI issues. According to Rick McCallum the image was just gone.

It also covered why the original negative was cut up to begin with. Apparently there were several different stocks used in the shooting of Star Wars and before a chemical bath could be applied to the negative, it had to be cut apart because it seems you can't have disparate elements combined during this process.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Well said, Chris. At this point, the only thing we can do is take a stand not to buy these discs if they're non-anamorphic. That's the only recourse we have and while it still might not be enough to make a change at least we can hope our collective voices are heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks