What's new

Sooo... I bought a wifi enabled fridge... :) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
How can you tell how big a geek I am? I don't have a bed here yet but my new fridge has twitter :p
http://t.co/X4DeKZqZ
Pretty slick so far, gonna try out pandora next.
It was actually cheaper than the same model without wifi.
And you guys thought i'd never really embrace android :p
More to follow.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I actually wired my kitchen for Ethernet 12 years ago when I had my house built. I have not used it, and wifi is a much more practical solution.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Do they make a 3g or 4g enabled version? But I don't want to be tied to a 2 year contract.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Wifi only =p
And there was an update on it when I used it this AM. Hit cancel, will have to let the early adopters test it out and see what went in.
I am LOVING pandora on it.
Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More info for you guys:
http://www.samsung.com/us/topic/apps-on-your-fridge
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/samsungs-rf4289-wifi-smart-fridge-gets-a-dumb-3-499-price/
http://mashable.com/2011/01/09/samsung-tweeting-refrigerator/
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/samsung-wifi-enabled-rf4289-fridge-cools-eats-and-tweets-we-go/
http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RF4289HARS/XAA
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/RF4289HARS/XAA
According to the apps page, the list price is now over $3600, I paid $2450!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's cool in a ridiculous technology way. But what do you actually do with it? Why would you stream Pandora on a fridge except as a technology demo?

Does the wifi enable any refrigeratory functions that improve the storage of foods and foodstuffs? :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I guess it does but I am not using it thatway.
What I AM using it for:
Pandora until my real HT is set up.
Weather and news as I reach for the milk. That's the killer apps for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Weather would be cool and very useful for me in the morning. I never think to check My-Cast or the Notification Center for the forecast before heading out.

I'm not sure I'd admit to listening to music on my fridge ;)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
I guess it does but I am not using it thatway.
What I AM using it for:
Pandora until my real HT is set up.
Weather and news as I reach for the milk. That's the killer apps for me.
Sam, don't mean to sound rude, but why? If this were something from the Jetson's era and always stayed filled with your favorite foods delivered automatically by little robots and cleaned itself, that's understandable. But what refrigerator is worth $2450, they all have a freezer and refrigerator section, probably an icemaker and running water, but what else is really necessary? And isn't Pandora just a fancy radio?
Once again, I apologize and don't mean to be rude or snarky, but what can a wifi refrigerator do that makes it worth that price?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Size. Styling. Finger print minimizing stainless.
Hard to get 28cubic foot fridges for much cheaper than that to begin with and the Sammys caught my eye and minimum requirements long before i fould the deal on the one with the toy.
Not rude at all!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I was in grad school, I had a friend who was studying in RIT's Human Factors (or whatever it was called) major. One course's final project was...of course...the design of the computerized, networked fridge. He showed me their design and interaction concept. I don't recall what it was now, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have an internet music streaming service. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Stan said:
Once again, I apologize and don't mean to be rude or snarky, but what can a wifi refrigerator do that makes it worth that price?
Judging by the Best Buy adds, a frig priced in the $2K range is not that unusual. They tend to be bigger ones, but still, that's a chunk of change.
Wifi aside, what does make a frig worth that much? Wifi doesn't cost that much, and short of robots replenishing the food supply, I don't have a need for it. Why should anyone pay $2K plus for a frig. I'm asking in the same tone as Stan, I want to understand.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Stan /t/319757/sooo-i-bought-a-wifi-enabled-fridge#post_3916196
Sam, don't mean to sound rude, but why? If this were something from the Jetson's era and always stayed filled with your favorite foods delivered automatically by little robots and cleaned itself, that's understandable. But what refrigerator is worth $2450, they all have a freezer and refrigerator section, probably an icemaker and running water, but what else is really necessary? And isn't Pandora just a fancy radio?
To me, that's a decent price for a French Door fridge with in-door water and ice maker, freezer below, and a veggie drawer. think I'd end up getting this, but I may be fridge shopping this year and that fridge is basically what I want (though I'd skip the integrated computer, for my tastes :)

As to why anyone would pay $2000 for a fridge...people here on the forum regularly pay $500-$1000 for tablet computers that are replaced every two years. Double that for an appliance that's replaced every decade doesn't seem so crazy

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
To me, that's a decent price for a French Door fridge with in-door water and ice maker, freezer below, and a veggie drawer.  think I'd end up getting this, but I may be fridge shopping this year and that fridge is basically what I want (though I'd skip the integrated computer, for my tastes :)
As to why anyone would pay $2000 for a fridge...people here on the forum regularly pay $500-$1000 for tablet computers that are replaced every two years. Double that for an appliance that's replaced every decade doesn't seem so crazy :)
Compared to a French Door fridge I can see your point. My mother has one and it was a similar price. If I remember correctly, at the time, about five years ago, she told me the in-door water/ice maker was almost $1000 more, so she passed on that option.
As for the tablet computers, I'd bet they're less than $200 in a year or so. The way prices drop on electronics can be pretty shocking.
Not necessarily electronic, but I'll bet I spent thousands on DVDs that I could now get for a few hundred dollars.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Right, i wanted a stainless steel (to match my other appliances, im not a fan of the look itself) french door fridge in the biggest size available to ensure I have enough room for the stuff for me and two roomates will bring individually. Try doing that for under $2k, its tough. For $2450 i got all that and more.
Im not saying i couldnt have gone cheaper, but to get all of what I wanted in addition to what I really needed this is simply the price of entry.
Take a look at the Weekly ads, you'll see the non wifi ones can be over $2800

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks