What's new

Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Scott, you can get cheap cables everywhere. I got mine at Best Buy, for about 50 bucks, i think?
You just have to look around, cause they want to steer you to the expensive ones.
I saw some CHEAP ones at Lowe's. They were about $25, but i didnt like them cause they were silver. Black cables are so much easier to hide in the rack.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Rick,

Thanks. I ended up picking up a cable at Radio Shack on the way home from work for $35. I do not have a Lowe's nearby, but thanks for that suggestion -- I never would have thought of them or Home Depot. HD had one listed on their website for $25, too, but for online purchase only.

We watched the first Godfather film tonight -- the Trilogy is the only BD set I have so far. The picture looked wonderful.

Robert, the firmware update is no longer posted on Sony's website. I was going to download it, but version 007 is now showing online (instead of the BD-Live version 010).

TexasStation

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Hey I was wondering if anybody can recommend a USB external drive that will fit that recessed port on the back of the BDP-S350. I've heard that it's a pain to access and some drives won't fit.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I need to pick up a usb drive too, now that the upgrade to Profile 2.0 is out. I updated my 350 last night over the internet connection. The update went smoothly and everything seems to still be working OK.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
$7 1GB PNY USB memory stick - Look @ my post #33 of 45 above.

The PNY USB memory stick comes with a couple of external color (dark & white) shells that fit over the main USB stick. I just removed the shell and the PNY USB memory stick fits like a glove (see my digital pic above)!!! :D

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Same here! When I pressed my "Watch Blu-ray" Macro button (Harmony 880) (approx. 5:15pm Pacific, Sat. 9-27-08) and since my Ethernet cable was already connected, ... the 1st message I got ...

... so I updated my BDP-S350!

Progress screen ...

Once the HDTV screen went black, ... the update took place in the BDP-S350.

Later, here's what the System Information / Software Version screen looked like.

I checked the BD Live function with:

1) Men In Black
2) Forbidden Kingdom
3) Transformers

... and ALL BD Live functions worked A-OK!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
;) :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Transformers** BD Live vs. HD DVD example:
... a) Blu-ray BD Live "Intelligence Mode"

... b) HD DVD Web Enabled Features "Intelligence Mode"

NOTE: The HD DVD still has the "Sector 7" stolen Short (some funny) Videos x7, ... the BD Live does not!!! :eek:

**Transformers "Intelligence Mode" cropped movie screen:
Only disapointment is the BD Live "Intelligence Mode" movie screen is zoomed and the left side is cropped-off by approx. 1/5!!! :confused: :frowning:

The HD DVD version re-scales the 2.35:1 AVC-encoded 1080p transfer screen to fit within the "Intelligence Mode" overlay.

Here's a few examples:

BD Live "Intelligence Mode" Movie Title screen

HD DVD "Intelligence Mode" Movie Title screen

BD Live "Intelligence Mode" Movie screen capture

HD DVD "Intelligence Mode" Movie screen capture

I love & enjoy all these behind-the-scene & back-story Web downloads, ... but based on Blu-ray "Transformers" BD Live "Intelligence Mode" cropped movie screen, ... I'll keep the HD DVD version just a little while longer! :rolleyes

Phil

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does anyone know what disc format is required to use the photo slide show function on the BDP-S350? I tried a data DVD-R with some JPEGS, and was only able to view the photos one at a time via the "Data" menu. The "Photo" menu would not work.

The photos looked great on the big screen, so I would love to be able to setup slide shows for guests.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm contemplating picking this up today. My new Pioneer VSX-03TXH receiver has dropout issues with my PS3 and I'm curious to see if they persist with a standalone (in which case I'd return/swap the 03). But also I'm looking for a low-cost BD transport since my Pioneer will be doing all the audio decoding.

Just to be doubly-sure (since the manual is confusing), the 350 will output bitstream on all of the new codecs including DTS-MA, correct?

Any other red flags I should know about for this unit before pulling the trigger?

One more question: I know they pulled the download of the firmware from their site, but if I connect the 350 directly to my router, will the network download of v.10 still be up, or did they pull that down too?

Thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

From what I've read elsewhere, the firmware update is still available for direct network download to the player, but the disc image has been pulled from Sony's website. So, if you connect the S350 directly to your home network, you should still be able to update the firmware. It sounds like Sony just had a problem with the disc image file, so the update image should also be reappearing on their website in a few days.

I do not have a network connection near my home theater, so I cannot personally verify this. I need to find a wireless solution for BD-Live, since I do not want to run an ethernet cable through the house to my HT.

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator

Carlo - Please let us/me know what you find out about this. I'm planning to pair a VSX-03 with an S350 as well, and want to know about issues that either/both might have before I make the plunge. Thanks!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Connect your Ethernet cable and then turn-on your BDP-S350.

As I noted above, ... "When I pressed my "Watch Blu-ray" Macro button (Harmony 880) (approx. 5:15pm Pacific, Sat. 9-27-08) and since my Ethernet cable was already connected, ... the 1st message I got" ...

If Sony turned-off the update, ... you won't see the above message.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Finally took ythe plunge and purchased the 350. However, a couple of queries.

I can get sound via an optical connection from the player to my receiver (Pioneer) but not via the coax connection. Should any settings be different for the coax connection from the player compared to the optical connection? I think it may be a problem with the set up of the receiver but cannot work it out at the moment.

The sound seems pretty good via Dolby 5.1. Would I notice much of a difference if I got an amp that decoded Dolby Tru-HD?

Thanks, Brian

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brian, I've only tried the optical connection (that's the only type I had unused on my receiver), but there are no special options in the player to differentiate between optical and coaxial, so both should be active and working. I would suggest checking out the receiver side of the setup.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey guys.

I sort of discovered the existence of this player today. My first BD player has been the Panny DMP-BD10A which has served me well, but I am just itching to get a Profile 1.1+ Player. The kicker was being all excited to watch Sleeping Beauty's Cineexplore feature since I'm an animation nut only to have it pop up a message saying I need BonusView!

So I'm about to go Online and order this nice 350. I hate to do this, but I need clarification on a few things for this player.

Either by it's own decoders, or with a capable reciever, will this player let you listen to EVERY audio format out there? For those who know the BD10A, which formats does this 350 NOT decode interally compared to the BD10A? My reciever is an Onxyo TX-SR604. It does not have any Next Gen Audio, but does have HDMI so I'm able to reap the benefits of Next Gen Audio thanks to my current BD player uncompressing the audio before the reciever gets it.

Next purchase will be a new Reciever with all the latest sound formats, and I just want to make sure with the combo of this new player and the new reciever I can have it all, including DTS Master Audio of course...which I think my BD10A even decodes internally...I think.

Audio was so much simpler on DVD. Just get a reciever and DVD player with matching Dolby and dts logos and you're done. Haha.

Really excited to get this player. Gonna order online though..waiting sucks.

Oh I almost forgot. Would it be possible to connect to this players ethernet with any kind of wireless transmitter? Like maybe those kind you can get for game consoles? Because our living room is nowhere near the computer room and the router to string a cable.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
FYI, $50 for an HDMI cable isn't cheap. You can get a really good HDMI 1.3 cable from Monoprice for less than $10.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Well, yea it is subjective. But i didnt know you could find them for $10. To me a 50 is still a good deal for an HDMI cable. Most of them at Best Buy...and other places run about $100, or more.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FYI, I bought an HDMI cable at Radio Shack for $35. That was about the cheapest price from a brick & mortar store I could find. Home Depot's website lists one for $25, but states the product is available online only. Lowe's website also lists one for $25, but there is no Lowe's conveniently located for me.

I went the brick & mortar route because my $10 HDMI cable ordered online was on back order and I wanted to try out my new player. Of course, I now have an extra HDMI cable, since the online one was finally shipped. It just goes in my stash of extra cables.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I bought one of the $35 ones from Radio Shack and two $27 ones from Target (both were plus sales tax, of course). The ones at Target are the cheapest I found locally. Of course a few days later our computer video monitor crapped out and the one I replaced it with came with...an HDMI cable. Drat, could have saved 27 bucks!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If you want quality (whether perceived or real, I'll leave up to you) and don't want to go with the no-name, no-brand Monoprice ones, but don't want to pay the Best Buy Fleece 'Em price, how about Blue Jeans Cable? I think they have HDMI cables in the $12-$40 range [depending on gauge and length] and most internet forum people seem to trust that company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks