What's new

Some actual BD file sizes to mull over (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
From a Japanese review of the BD title Hitch, with a look at the files used:

The 21 gb file size appears to be for EVERYTHING ("The disc volume is 21400M (around 20.89GB)"). 19Mbps is nothing to get excited about for MPEG2 video (as evidenced by the macroblocking). Japanese link here.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
If true, it is nuts for Sony to leave 4 gb wasted.

Is this the same disc as the US disc?

I hope we can get some more info on the US discs sometime soon to see if this a quirk or what.

Considering they are using single layer 25 gb discs and MPEG-2, what sane reason would they have for not using all of the available space?

We really need more info on the other discs.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
There's been discussion that they're having a tough time getting 25 gb yields, but I don't know if the two are related.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

and people didn't want to believe that- but - I don't think this in in of itself proves it either.
however if more people can confirm the rest of the launch titles hover in this area...then it would appear that the negative rumours about yields were in fact, true.

...which then would bring up the subject of Bds ace-in-the-hole, dual layer discs.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Well, Sony have been saying all along that they would be using a bitrate of about 18 Mbps for MPEG-II, with peaks rising to about 24. If this information is correct, that's what they're doing, or a little above.

If they can't get an acceptable picture out of that, at the low rate of 24 progressive frames per second [considering that ATSC broadcasts, with a lower bitrate, do a half-decent job on 30 interlaced frames, which are much harder to encode] I'd say somebody in Sony's encoding department is off the beam in a major way.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think both HD-DVD/BR are still using the same convention as computers, so 15GB, 30GB, 25GB, 50GB isn't exactly that. it's more like: 13.95GB, 27.9GB for single and dual layered HD-DVD's , 23.25GB, 46.5GB for single and dual layered BR. just like our DVD"5" and DVD"9" isn't exactly 5GB nor 9GB.

and when the writable mediums come along, it's gonna be about 5GB off. so that's 10GB and 25GB for single and dual layered HD-DVD's, 20GB, 45GB for single and dual layered BR. i'm not complaining, that's still much better than today's dl even! =). just giving ya'll some stats.

i wish the storage industry would reform and start using "real-usable space" for JBOD's and not be responsible for RAID's during their marketing/ads.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
I think this is good evidence that they are using a smaller disc to avoid putting data on the outside edges of the disc and to help increase manufacturing yeilds.

Just as was reported on AVS, in advance, it would seem....

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
You, um, should probably read the post above yours Rob. You've missed the part where formatting eats part of a discs space availablitity. Which means the BR discs are only 2.36 gigabytes off full capacity.

Which means that the odds are just as good that the person reporting it just didn't understand what happens when you format a disc either.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Where is PeterTHX, usually he jumps and say "just wait when they perfected BD25 and don't worry because they'll soon come out with BD50"

andre.p

Auditioning
Real Name
andre patton

HD-DVD disc usage:

The Last Samurai: 29.3GB (~ 29,348,200,448)
Cinderella Man: 28.6GB (~28,648,079,360)
The Chronicles of Riddick: 28.2GB (~28,246,671,360)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Juan posted this on AVS:

From pcworld:

Quote:
Using Sony's new Vaio AR Premium, a $3500 notebook that includes a Blu-ray Disc burner, I checked out how much disc space Sony's first seven Blu-ray titles (encoded in MPEG-2, and many of them light on extra features) required. The results of this survey were quite telling: The Fifth Element needed 22.8GB; The Terminator, 23GB; House of Flying Daggers, 23.1GB; xXx, 22.3GB; Hitch, 22.9GB; Underworld Evolution, 22.5GB; 50 First Dates, 18.8GB.

Looks like most BD titles are well over 20 gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks