What's new

Simpsons Season 4 - June! (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Conan O'Brien was supposedly going to do some commentary tracks several months ago, I hope that it happens! Matt Groening, Mike Reiss, and other regulars are probably also going to be on them as well. If anything like last season happens, we may see Nancy "Bart" Cartwright, Yeardly "Lisa" Smith, and Julie "Marge" Kavner also return... Hopefully we get everyone!

Ryan

::greed::

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It's on the DVD, but it's not very interesting - it's basically just commentary from Jim Brooks that covers territory addressed elsewhere...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Conan does commentary for one episode. NONE of actors from the prior set appear here. Jon Lovitz and Hank Azaria show up for one commentary and that's it for voice talent. Otherwise, we get Groening and Al Jean on all 22 plus a revolving roster of directors, writers and animators.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The Simpsons Season 4 has the best booklet I've ever seen. Seriously....very awesome.

Here's the list of commentary participants.

EP 1 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mark Kirkland, David Silverman
EP 2 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Jeff Martin, Jon Lovitz, Hank Azaria
EP 3 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, George Meyer, Jim Reardon,
EP 4 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mark Kirkland, Jeff Martin
EP 5 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Jay Kogen, Wallace Wolodarsky, Jon Vitti
EP 6 - Matt Groening, Al Jean Mike Reiss, Rich Moore
EP 7 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Bill Oaklet, Josh Weinstein, Jeff Lynch, Jim Reardon
EP 8 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Conan O'Brien, David Silverman
EP 9 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Jon Vitti, Jim Reardon
EP 10 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Jeff Martin, Mark Kirkland
EP 11 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Michael Carrington, David Silverman
EP 12 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Conan O'Brien, Rich Moore, David Silverman
EP 13 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, David M. Stern, Jim Reardon
EP 14 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Jon Vitti, Jeff Lynch
EP 15 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Frank Mula, Wes Archier, David Silverman
EP 16 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, David M. Stern, Jim Reardon
EP 17 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Jay Kogan, Wallace Wolodarsky, Mark Kirkland
EP 18 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Jon Vitti, Jeff Lynch
EP 19 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Adam I. Lapidus, Rich Moore
EP 20 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Jeff Lynch, David Silverman
EP 21 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Jim Reardon, Jeff Lynch
EP 22 - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, David Silverman

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks for the complete rundown Gord!

According to the DVDFile forum, Conan O'Brien does have two full commentary tracks. His commentary for "Monorail" is an easter egg.

I can't wait!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm very disappointed that Dan Castelenetta and the others from last season aren't doing them on this set, I really enjoyed listening to him especially.

I can't wait for this set anyway, but I really am sad about this...and this has already not been a fun day.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Any news on a Season 5 release yet? This one seemed to come off without a hitch (no delays), a season 5 release for the holidays this winter isn't too far fetched.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Two quick questions...

I know the voice actors don't take part in the Simpsons episodes generally, but how do the commentaries compare to the ones done on the Futurama set?

I'm only a casual Simpsons fan, I use to watch in the very beginning of the show but when the time got changed, I just got out of the habit of watching it... If you only get one season, is Season Four one of the better ones to get?

Paul

Wezzo

Second Unit
Paul -

S4 is one of the better sets to get. Many A+ eps are on it, and along with S3,S6 and S7, is probably the best season to get. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

When I first heard S4 was coming in June, instead of August like the other three, I immediately thought and hoped it was because S5 might be out by the end of the year.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Some terrific episodes in season 4, and I would have to agree that season 3, 4, 6, and 7 are among the best of the series.

As for the other question, season 3 had my favorite commentary tracks, because the voice talent was involved. I do enjoy the Simpsons tracks even if the voice actors aren't present, as generally they seem like they actually enjoy doing these commentaries and seem to have fun. I never think to myself while listening to a Simpsons commentary that these people are bored and would rather be somewhere else.

They're not as lively as the Futurama commentaries, and a lot of that is due to the fact that John Dimagio is so crazy and in to them that the energy is just picked up.

As for how informative they are, its on the same level as Futurama in terms of information, which IMO is enough that its not pointless but not too much as its not fun, so to me its the right amount of facts and fun so to speak. One advantage is that Matt Groening and some of the others have been through maybe a hundred of these commentaries by now, and have gotten used to doing them.

So to your 2 quick questions I was happy to provide some lengthy and probably not very useful responses...

I don't know why, but I am hopeful for season 5 before the end of the year. I read something, I can't remember where, maybe in this thread that Groening said they are already working on season 5 trying to get it out ASAP.

Yet, every time I'm hopeful it seems like something happens and my hopes end up being unfounded.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
In a word...absolutely!

Season 4 is so good that it's worth plunking down your hard-earned cash, even if you're just a casual fan. From that season, the following are all A-list episodes, IMHO:

Kamp Krusty
A Streetcar Named Marge
Lisa the Beauty Queen
Treehouse of Horror III
Itchy & Scratch: The Movie
Mr. Plow
Homer's Triple Bypass
Marge vs. the Monorail
I Love Lisa

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
This is another great set. Superb episodes, good transfers and some decent extras. I can't stand those menus, though. There's no 'play all' option, so you have to click on each episode individually which then sets off a little animated skit. You can skip past them, but how I'd love a simple 'play all' option. Still, apart from that this set is top-quality.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah there is - it's at the bottom of the screen. You can select to play all with commentary on or off.

And also, you can skip the animations with the chapter search button - just hit next chapter and they'll zip past...

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I actually like the Simpsons commentary over Futurama... Both are fun, and give insight, but because I grew up with the Simpsons, it really sheds some new light.

Ryan

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
One editing note: "Marge Gets a Job" features altered dialogue. During the original broadcast, Mrs. Krabapple cites Tourette's Syndrome as one of the disorders Bart claims to have to get out of his test. On later airings, this was changed to "rabies" for reasons unexplained on the commentary, though apparently due to complaints. Unfortunately, "rabies" remains the term used on the DVD, even though Bart still mutters "Tourette's Syndrome" under his breath after she leaves.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I could swear it was Tourette's in syndication. I'm sure it had to have been people who have Tourette's complaining that it was unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks