What's new

Shopping for a 42-46" LCD/DLP rear projection TV (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone,

I'd like to purchase a smaller rear projection TV to replace an aging 32" Sony Tube TV. I've done some very initial research and am considering the Sony 42" Grand Wega LCD KF-42WE610 and the Samsung 46" DLP HLP-4663W.

The TV will be mainly used for SD material, although I will have a HD box from Brighthouse (Pace 550 or SA 8000HD) box hooked up to it for when HD material is available. The room gets fairly good ammount of light from behind the couches that you'd sit at to watch the TV.

I don't even think we'd have a DVD player hooked up to this set, as my home theater is really upstairs with a 64" Pioneer rear projection TV.

With all that info given (I hope I said everything you usually need to know) is there's a recomendation either way as to these above TV's? Any others I should consider? I wanted to try and find the new Samsung DLP's with the 3000:1 contrast ratio, but they dont seem to make the smaller sets that I want. How long do you have to look at the DLP's to know if you suffer from the rainbow effect?

Are the two models I've listed above fairly new? i.e. if there are new models coming out soon, I guess I could wait if the features are needed, or I could get an older model perhaps on a discount. We're hoping to spend $2000-$2500.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
I'm also looking to get a new RPTV and was wondering if DLP/LCD was the way to go.

Do either of these display types have the same downfalls as CRT-based displays?
- Burn-in?
- Are weight and width of the television less?
- Is picture quality noticebly different from CRT?
- Are black levels still not in the same league?
- Is overscan an issue? I know it isn't with projectors.
- Between the two DLP or LCD which is better? Or is the difference marginal?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well, if it's any reassurance, if i was going to look for dlp/lcd -- those two models are the same ones i would consider.

the sony model has been out for a little while, but the samsung is pretty new.

the samsung has the faroudja dcdi chip, which is a nice bonus. it will convert everything to it's native resolution. i *think* the sony has a similar feature though...but don't recall for sure now.

tbh, both sets are impressive. i always tell my customers it's different technology that yields the same results. those being bright/sharp picture, lightweight tv, good off-axis viewing, etc.

either tv would be a fine choice. if push comes to shove, i'd probably vote for the dlp, but that's really a personal preference.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Just doing a little reading over at AVS. Have you guys seen all the negative posts for the Samsung DLP's? It's almost enough to scare you away.....

And id I didn't ask this clearly enough in my original post, has anyone compared the stretch modes for either of these 2 TVs? That will obviously be very important when the majority of our viewing is SD. I have become acustomed to very good stretch modes in my Pioneer RPTV.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
aaron, i'm too lazy to read the million dlp threads at avs.

summarize what they said...puh-leeze??? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks