What's new

Shootout: See the Epson MovieMate 85HD, Epson HC 8350 and Epson HC 8700 UB in action (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

Finally off the road and getting tucked in for Christmas...well actually not...but any ways.

I think Alan is on the mark.

I do loudly applaud anybody for trying to do comparisons....there is not near enough of this being done.

I do strongly suggest that all comparisons be made using objective base line parameters (ie: SMPTE standards, inc rec 709).

Perhaps 2 sets of results with the first being out of the box, and then the 2nd being properly setup.

FWIW,

Gregg

(thank you PPPL1) !!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I have to agree that while comparing the projectors out of the box is interesting, it is really valueless. The only thing that I'm really interested in is if the projector can be properly calibrated to accurately represent the correct color and contrast balance. Only then will you be able to tell the "men from the boys" so to speak. A particular projector may look like crap out of the box, but once calibrated MAY be the best of the bunch.

A proper calibration disc and filters MUST be used or there is really no point to your tests.

I can't imagine anyone from THIS forum at least just using the projector out of the box.

Doug

biggesnuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Yuki Hood
I'm building a complete theater room from scratch. The actual room is not even built yet so I have absolutely barriers to overcome. I know I'm buying the Black diamond screen technology so I will not have any issues with lighting. I have a great supplier that can get me a 133" black diamond fixed screen for $3,700. I have a total budget of $50K for my entire room. I have been doing a lot of research on speakers and projectors and room size and etc. and I have not heard anyone tell me the Epson brand is a high end projector. I've been lead to the JVC brands for projectors. After reading your current posts on Epson, my question is-what is considered the best projector to purchase without consideration for price. It appears to me that a lot of people tell you what's best based on price and price is not an issue for me. I don't want to replace projectors over and over. I don't mind replacing the bulbs, but I want a projector I can keep for years to come.

I found a great supplier for all my equipment so my concern is to make sure I'm purchasing the best high end items. In short, I want the exact movie experience right in my home theater room. I thank you all for such knowledgeable posts.

Kev

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by biggesnuck

I'm building a complete theater room from scratch. The actual room is not even built yet so I have absolutely barriers to overcome. I know I'm buying the Black diamond screen technology so I will not have any issues with lighting. I have a great supplier that can get me a 133" black diamond fixed screen for $3,700. I have a total budget of $50K for my entire room. I have been doing a lot of research on speakers and projectors and room size and etc. and I have not heard anyone tell me the Epson brand is a high end projector. I've been lead to the JVC brands for projectors. After reading your current posts on Epson, my question is-what is considered the best projector to purchase without consideration for price. It appears to me that a lot of people tell you what's best based on price and price is not an issue for me. I don't want to replace projectors over and over. I don't mind replacing the bulbs, but I want a projector I can keep for years to come.

I found a great supplier for all my equipment so my concern is to make sure I'm purchasing the best high end items. In short, I want the exact movie experience right in my home theater room. I thank you all for such knowledgeable posts.

Kev
You should start your own thread. This is veering pretty far off-topic and brings up a lot of issues worthy of a separate discussion. It appears that you have been given faulty guidance, perhaps from your "great supplier." I would never recommend the Black Diamond screen for a dedicated theater room, if image quality is your top priority, and I'm an SI dealer. Rather than go down this and many other roads pertaining to your project, how about starting a discussion thread dedicated to your plans? Hijacking someone else's thread isn't very good form.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

maherelharake

Auditioning
Real Name
Maher Elharake
Hey guys thanks for the helpful responses to my posts above. I got a bit caught up in Finals weeks (I'm a junior Physics major) so I didn't have much time to respond. I will try to upload a picture of my room whenever I get back from break. I suppose I could draw my blinds, but it would still not be completely dark. I suppose though the 2000 lumens should be sufficient. I have 2 reasons that I am going to pass on a TV: 1) I don't watch much TV during the day, so a projector should be fine once the sun goes down. 2) Even if I do want to, I still have another TV in the other room. Do you guys still think I should call the Projector Experts to discuss this? Thanks again for all the help!

biggesnuck

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Yuki Hood
I'm not sure how I hijacked anything because I was merely asking about the talk on Epson projectors. I do have my own thread concerning what type of theater room is best. I've only had two people respond which is so disappointing because I read so many people talking about so many components of building a theater room, yet only one person has taken the time to help me. As for my expert, he was a guy who responded to my thread and he actually sell a ton of high theater products. I called him an expert because he has pushed no certain brand of anything and he gives me complete understandings of everything he suggests and why he suggested it.

I'm a bit taken back by your response on the black diamond screen because it is a new technology that solves the issue of lighting and wash out on regular screens. Why do you say this type of screen is not worth purchasing? I've seen two theater rooms and both complain about washout when the lights are on. We always watch TV with some lights on so that is why I wanted to go with the Black diamond screen. I watched a black diamond demo and it was amazing and the light didn't change the screen at all. You said you are a SI expert, yet you claim this technology is no good. I would really appreciate your explanation because I don't want to waste my money on something that really doesn't do what it says it does.

Also, what projector would you say is the best one. Up to now, I've been told the JVC line is the best. I want to put together the best system I can find and I'm nowhere near an expert so your assistance would be highly appreciated. You can email me also if you like at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Kev

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by biggesnuck

I'm not sure how I hijacked anything because I was merely asking about the talk on Epson projectors. I do have my own thread concerning what type of theater room is best. I've only had two people respond which is so disappointing because I read so many people talking about so many components of building a theater room, yet only one person has taken the time to help me. As for my expert, he was a guy who responded to my thread and he actually sell a ton of high theater products. I called him an expert because he has pushed no certain brand of anything and he gives me complete understandings of everything he suggests and why he suggested it.

I'm a bit taken back by your response on the black diamond screen because it is a new technology that solves the issue of lighting and wash out on regular screens. Why do you say this type of screen is not worth purchasing? I've seen two theater rooms and both complain about washout when the lights are on. We always watch TV with some lights on so that is why I wanted to go with the Black diamond screen. I watched a black diamond demo and it was amazing and the light didn't change the screen at all. You said you are a SI expert, yet you claim this technology is no good. I would really appreciate your explanation because I don't want to waste my money on something that really doesn't do what it says it does.

Also, what projector would you say is the best one. Up to now, I've been told the JVC line is the best. I want to put together the best system I can find and I'm nowhere near an expert so your assistance would be highly appreciated. You can email me also if you like at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Kev
This thread is discussing the Projector People's shootout video of three specific Epson models. If you want to discuss your plans for a dedicated home theater, and its display requirements, please start your own thread in this section of the forum. I'll contribute to the thread if you can stay focused. You have put words in my mouth that I did not say, and exaggerated my points beyond their clearly stated meaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks