1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

scan velocity modulation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NeonWayne, Apr 10, 2003.

1. NeonWayne

NeonWayne Auditioning

I just bought a Best Buy ws-a48. I come here only to find that the best buy version is a stripped down version that means you can't turn off the scan velocity modulation. I would like to more about scan velocity modulation. I read what it is, and I've read that a "properly tuned TV should turn it off" but I don't understand why.

Could someone fill me in on how bad of a decision I've made. This is my first TV purchase (larger then 21")and I'd like to know if I should keep this or cancel my order before they deliver it on Monday.....

-Wayne

2. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

Here's an example with SVM on and off. Look at the Toy Story 2 Before and After. There is a black outline around everything.

http://www.wasatchss.com/samples.html

I'm almost possitive you can still turn SVM off via the Service Menu.

3. NeonWayne

NeonWayne Auditioning

This was the initial post I saw:

undefeatable SVM

but I also see it mentioned here

Are you sure you can still turn it off from the service menu... it does look annoying and I'd hate to spend almost 2K on something I won't be entirely happy with.

-Wayne

4. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

I didn't take the time to look using the video button to find the VM sharpness on/off. I did enter in the service menu back in the day and did see the control to turn it off there.

I'm sure there are plenty of Bestbuy tv buyers here that can chime in, if it is available in the user video adjustments like the "normal" models.

If you are way worried, cancel your order and buy it from somewhere else.