What's new

Santana Supernatural & SVS (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Being a new owner of a SVS sub and a Yamaha RXV1, I am still experiencing new things when I play my dvds. Just bought the Santana Supernatural DVD and listened to it on my system. Things in the house were rattling like never before especially when track 8 on the dvd came up.
This SVS sub is just stunning and I am impressed with the clarity and precision of the RXV1 also.
What are some of the dvds that seemed to "wake" up your system?
------------------

Chip E

Screenwriter
I just picked up "Framton-Live In Detroit"...shot in HD too. The DTS track is killer.. I've got the 20-39PC
- Chip
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If The Haunting in DTS-ES 6.1 or the corrected (D2R2 pressing) DTS Jurassic Park discs don't wake up your system, they'll surely blow them!
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
You should check out the SVS site for "bassy scenes" to try out. Also, some of the most recommended DVDs include Saving Private Ryan, or for something lighter, the first 15 min. of Toy Story 2.
Older movies to demo include:
The Matrix
The Fifth Element
RichardH

The train scene from Unbreakable is pretty awesome. The "time to wake up the Indians!" scene from Vertical Limit shakes the house. SuperSpeedway is wonderful. Das Boot, U-571. The list is long. However, my all-time favorite as far as awesome sound goes from beginning to end is Titan A.E. Especially the Ice Storm scene. I also have the Supernatural DVD, it does sound phenomenal.
sdg
------------------

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you should mention that album. Not that I've heard the DVD, but the CD is second to non the WORST sounding recording I've ever heard (OK...one of the worst-sounding). Just like 99.9% of all CD's produced today, no dynamic range at all: highly compressed. This is a shame because I do like a few of the tracks on it.
------------------
Q

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
The train scene from Unbreakable is pretty awesome.
I was quite impressed with the low effects during the scenes where Willis was following the killer in the rain. Not high impact, but quite low in frequency. Must have been going for the 'sense of dread' factor.
[Edited last by John_Lee on August 06, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Supernatural LIVE on DVD...
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
It all depends on your mood,
If you cruising through the video channels off the dish...try out Ministry's *what about us* from AI,or maybe Redmans let's get Dirty. And I mean...crank it up.(i aint on the guest list,I aint VIP...)
THe second track of city of angels soundtrack ...*uninvited* is a good dynamics test. Virgil Fox has some nice Organ stuff out there...and Telerc is always good for some coolish CD samples.Something like Murray's organ blaster sample is sure to make the walls shudder :) Pod,Korn,Bizkit,Jay-Z,NIN,MM,Nelli...they're all good for some serious bass dropping into the mid to low 30s on occasion..and even the rare 20s. Miles Davis,Alicia Keys...Alex Van Halen and Lars Ulrich are always good for some very serious drumming. John Kotches turned me on to Sarah Mclachlan...some good stuff in there. If you want to have some fun, pick up a digital bass synth(like the audiocontrol PCA). This lets you create an additional bass signal at half the original fundamental. So if there's some nice 50 kick drumming, you can add a 25hz beat to that and control the amptitude of the new stuff too. On some stuff this doesnt sound very good...but try it out on Iron Man :)
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks