What's new

Samsung DLP HL-P6163W (1 Viewer)

ChadFetter

Grip
Sorry I haven't been monitering this site lately, and this information has probably been out here a hundred times.

I am getting ready to wire my new house before the sheetrock goes up, and I want to make sure I am putting the right cables from my components to the back of my TV. I am going to be buying the Samsung DLP HL-P6163W. Sometime after I move in...around October.

I see that the HL-P6163W is their 3rd Generation unit. When did this come out? I know that a new one was supposed to be coming out this fall. Is this that unit? Did they release it early? Or, is there still another one coming in the fall?

JaleelK

Second Unit

Yes.

The 63 series came out in June/July they have the HD3 chips, however the 50" were first and then 56" and now the 61" are starting to be shipped. The 77 series are due out this fall or earlier, they have the HD+2 chips in them. The 85 series or the Pedestal or Cpt. Kirk's models are slowy starting to appear in stores now, they come in 50" and 56" only, they also have the HD2+ chips.

The 61 inch 1080P Samsung DLP is due in Nov/Dec 2004.

SeanH

Auditioning
help out here whats the difference or should i say which is better hd3 or hd+2???

thanks

Sean

Neil H.

Auditioning
I don't think hd3 does 1080p,but does 480I/P,720P&1080I.I just purchased the Samsung HD-P5063W(50''set)and this set doesn't do 1080P.

JaleelK

Second Unit

You don't have the 1080P set. The 61 inch Samsung 1080P DLP's are scheduled for Nov/Dec 04 shippment. They're supposed to have xHD3 chip.

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator

That's certainly subjective. Some people have seen the HD2+ and HD3 side-by-side, and say there's not much of a difference. Others say the HD3 has a more "film-like" image without the sometimes slightly unnatural sharpness of the HD2+. It's a matter of preference.

There also will not be a HD2+ 61" model from Samsung. They'll have an xHD3 later this year that will do 1080p, but it will be significantly more expensive.

Neil H.

Auditioning
no,I purchased it from a local retailer for $2,760 with help from a friend who works there.(goes for $3,499).The set looks real good.Does anyone own this set that could tell more details about it,I've read all the specs on it and it sounds good for the money.

Neil H.

Auditioning
Any thoughts on which set is better-Samsung HLP5063 DLP or SONY 50''Grand WEGAIII LCD.After going to that thread,I'm starting to get alittle nervous about the Samsung DLP issues(and there are alot of complaints).Should I even be worrying because it sounded like all complaints and no words from people who like the DLP set.

JaleelK

Second Unit

I'm not a big fan of the Sony LCD's. I went to two stores CC and Good Guy's and both stores said their customers had more issues with the Sony's than any other set. In fair- ness there are a lot of folks who love them and prefer them over DLP's.

The folks in that thread mostly purchased their sets via the internet and are having some troubles. If you purchase set from a brick & mortar, if you don't like it, you have 30 days to return it for an exchange or to get your money back.

With new technologies like DLP, LCOS, LCD etc. there's going to be some issues and you are taking risk purchasing a set.

Neil H.

Auditioning
Now,I just got back from CC and the Salesman told me he had 10 Sammy DLP sets returned and they are now selling them as open boxes.I called and changed my order to the Sony LCD set.I know of 5 people who have the sony and they love it.Thanks for your advice JaleelK,it really helped me make my choice.Hope to talk again!

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator

Well, you're a lot more likely to see posts of problems or complaints than "hey, everything is OK". That being said, Samsung did have some QC issues with the first batch of 50" sets. They halted production for a couple weeks, and it is supposedly resolved now. Supposedly sets manufactured June and later are the new batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.