What's new

Reverse Mortgages- Anyone Here Have In-Depth Knowledge? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I have an 85 year old neighbor who I believe would really benefit from reverse mortgage. Her house is paid off, and she has no children to be concerned about leaving it to.

Before looking on the outside, I figured I'd ask if anyone here works with such a mortgage product, or perhaps guided their parents through getting one. My main concern, as always, is that she not get ripped off.

Are there any pitfalls to be aware of, or any reason that such a mortgage might not be appropriate for her?

Thanks for all responses...

danDo

Agent
I have heard of cases where it was good for some people and not good for others. It really depends on the individual situation.

My best advise would be to talk to a few financial advisors in your area.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I agree with this, and I'd add that she should try to talk to one that doesn't work on commission. A financial advisor on commission should be illegal IMHO.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If she has some sort of income, then she's better off with some sort of equity loan. The rates and fees for these reverse mortgages can be quite onerous.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
Go directly to FHA and they will explain RM and should also provide a list of participating lenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks