What's new

Remember The Night updated version TCM Shop (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
TCM Shop is promoting a restored by Library of Congress new DVD of the classic Christmas movie.

I should have called this thread "Remember The Night New Restored Version at TCM Shop. "My title makes it sound like they changed the ending of the film or something.

Anyone have any information. Will the first discs be pressed?

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=488713&ecid=EMC-TCM-000522&pa=EMC_TCM_20131127_TCM_Vault

From the website:

Turner Classic Movies, Universal and the Library of Congress are proud to present this new DVD release of Remember the Night (1940), featuring—for the first time—a beautiful transfer in crisp black-and-white from an original negative preserved by the Library of Congress.

Screen icons Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray star in this heartwarming holiday classic, the first of four films to feature the legendary duo. Stanwyck plays a petty shoplifter on trial for swiping jewelry just before Christmas, while MacMurray is the Assistant District Attorney who sends her off to jail then suffers a crisis of conscience and bails her out. When he invites her to join his family for the holidays, a love blossoms between the two that will strain, but ultimately redeem, all parties. Featuring a wonderful supporting cast (Beulah Bondi, Sterling Holloway and Elizabeth Patterson), stylish costumes by Edith Head, a charming script by Preston Sturges and superb direction by Mitchell Leisen, Remember the Night (1940) is a timeless holiday favorite that can be enjoyed in any season.

I had the privilege of seeing this film at AFI theater in Silver Spring MD last week. It was great seeing it on the big screen with an audience.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
This is the closest thing to a new Universal TCM product since January. Does this mean that whole deal with Universal isn't dead or is this some sort of exception? Regardless, this seems the first TCM/Universal product to get this sort of special treatment.

A little annoyed since I bought this when it first came out a few years ago. Not sure who went through the trouble of restoring this, but I think a blu-ray would have made a better re-release. I might pick this one up eventually but this might be a situation where I wait for the reviews first. I was pretty happy with the first edition, though I'm sure this is much better news for those that didn't get the first edition of this.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
When I first saw this, I assumed it was the same old DVD that they were promoting for Christmas. The link information does give a 2013 release date. If anyone gets this, they'll have to let us know if it is any different.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Dvd Beaver reviewed the new one, and I hope to send caps from the first release in the next day or so to help compare. I'm curious what the point is in re-releasing this after just a few years after the last, but then not popping for a bd to help sell copies to those that bought the original one.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really enjoy this film and watch it every year. Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray work so well together, and Beulah Bondi is a joy as always. I first saw this on Turner Classic Movies channel and immediately bought the first DVD back in November 2009. When I received the email from TCM Shop last Wednesday about a new Vault Release I immediately logged in and purchased it.

Yes, I wish this was a Blu-ray release, but I am glad to double-dip for such a wonderful film.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I received my copy from TCM yesterday and I thought the quality was pretty good; although, I can't compare to the older version so I can't really say which one is better.

Jay*W

Second Unit
RLane777 said:
I received my copy from TCM yesterday and I thought the quality was pretty good; although, I can't compare to the older version so I can't really say which one is better.
Rick,Was it a DVD-R or a pressed disc?Thanks,Jay

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I did send caps of the original release to Dvd Beaver, which have been added to his review of the recent disc.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Nice to see the comparison caps on Beaver. The Library of Congress print is certainly a sharper transfer, but I suspect I'll just stick with my first edition. If I liked the movie more I might bite, but I've only watched it one time since the initial purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks