What's new

Remember the internet BEFORE the web became popular? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I remember helping out someone who used to run an Atari bulletin board - that was back in the mid-80s (I was at school at the time). It wasn't even a network based thing, people would have to dial in to his machine to use the board. All this on a 14k modem which at the time was considered bloody cool.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also in 1984, I wrote 3 FORRAN programs that were entered into the mainframe using punch cards... intended as a lesson in history.
Ah, yes. The old IBM punch cards. I used them for my first two semesters of college. I hated those damn keypunch machines -- any typo meant a lost card, plus the machines were always breaking down.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

erik bush

Agent
i actually tried doing an archie search the other day for something. kinda useless it seems now. i remember using it alot in college tho. of course i had a shell account back then.
~erik
------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I remember the first time I used the Internet was either 1976 or 1977, when a grad student at UC San Diego. We had to do a remote logon to some other school's computers. Back then DARPANET/ARPANET was only for schools and the military.
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I remember it all too well. I used to use ftp to download games for my Amiga. I also remember logging on remotely to run modula-2 programs I had written at home on the school's computer when I was a CS major. Ahhhh, those were the days...

Jin E

Second Unit
I started out with BBS's and grew into a Unix shell account. I then found the wonderful world of Lynx, IRC, and Newsgroups to take up my time. You could debate the merits of Xmodem or Zmodem download protocals, which switches were the best to use, if you could really go faster the 9.6kbps. Finally upgraded to a SLip/PPP emulator for my Unix shell so I could run this new program out called Netscape. It wasn't too long after that a revolutionary game called Doom appeared... now that's another story altogether. I remember downloading Windows95 Betas and getting DoomII 3 days before the street date. My little 486 with 8 megs of ram HATED Win95... but I was the only guy on the block with it! Those were the days... Kids now a days don't know how easy they have it with their "pictures" and "Hyperlinks". With wasn't long after 95-96 I finally joined the modern age and got a true dial up account intead of a freebie unix shell through the school.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Brian_J

Second Unit
AOL, Netscape, Cisco, Microsoft, Amazon...if only I knew then what I do now I would be retired!
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Kevin Webb

Agent
Your bringing back too many memories...Gopher, Mosaic, ftp, telnet, The Well,AOL by the hour :). My dorm was completely networked and we used to play Deathmatches all of the time! Nothing like 24-7 access for free!
What was one of the first web sites you visited? For me, it was the NASA site using Gopher. Loved to download the space pics!

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
It wasn't too long after that a revolutionary game called Doom appeared
Yeah, but remember Doom's daddy - Wolfenstein 3D? That was one of, if not THE, first Doom-like games. I played that game for hours... the whole thing fit on a single floppy disc.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks