What's new

Recommendations please: Integra 30.3 (1 Viewer)

brwnsfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Genco
Got a question for the pros here, buying something in a matter of days.
After 5-6 years of living with a Denon 2805 that has now died, I'm ready to go back to my Adcom GFA6000 amp. It's driving a pair of B&W 805 Matrix in a 5-speaker+sub setup.
I can buy a demo Integra 30.3 for $550 from a local dealer or a refurb Onkyo 709 for $419 from accessories4less.I plan to use it as a pre-pro and tuner, possibly move it in years to come to the basement system and use the amps also there.
Is the Onkyo more internet radio capable ? I read the Ethernet on the integra is for updates only. Is this something I need to consider? The Onkyo states it has internet connectivity. How is this accomplished, are they the same in this regard?
The Onkyo unit also has Audyssey MultiEQ whereas the Integra has a lesser version. Is this really a big deal? Two more HDMI inputs on the Onkyo, I don't see this being a decision maker.
I will buy with an AMEX and get a second year of warranty free on the Onkyo so the warranty difference of 1 year on the Onkyo to 3 for the Integra is narrowed.
Here's my chief concern:
Is the sound quality of the pre-pro section the same or does the Integra offer higher fidelity & better sound?
Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
They are both 2012 models and should have similar internet capabilities. They both list internet steaming and internet radio in the "Features" section on the websites under "Connections".
As was said earlier in this thread, the 30.3 is based on the Onkyo 609. Biggest difference is 2EQ vs MultEQ XT. MultEQ XT uses 8 mic positions, has a 7 band EQ and EQ's the subwoofer (5 bands). 2EQ uses 1 mic position, 5 bands and no sub EQ. I'd take the 709 over the 30.3 for that reason alone. The 40.3 is comparable to the 709. For $50 ac4l has a 5 year warranty from Warrantech.
709 http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR709&class=Receiver&p=i
Manual http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29400698_TX-NR709_En_web.pdf?CFID=1924450&CFTOKEN=20829753&jsessionid=f030b6657ed1440541e6f776246573447471
30.3 http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-30.3&class=Receiver&p=i
Manual http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/DTR-30.3_En_web.pdf?CFID=1924450&CFTOKEN=20829753&jsessionid=f030b6657ed1440541e6f776246573447471

brwnsfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Genco
Thanks,
I'm buying the 709 today.
My questions about internet streaming stem from a visit I had with an Integra dealer. He mentioned the Ethernet input on the Integra was only good for updates.
I have never owned a component that connects to the Internet so this confused me a little. Here come some stupid questions:
If they don't connect through the Ethernet port, then how do they connect? Wi-FI?
I was told there is a Wi-Fi adapter for the 30.3. Also for the 709? Do I need this for online services or just for playing things already on my desktop?
If these units are Internet streaming capable, then I do not need an add-on box to receive Pandora, etc?
For Netflix and streaming video, I will still need an Apple TV, Roku, etc?
It's obvious I have been at a standstill for awhile and need to catch up. Finally paid off the daughters college, time for new gear and a trip to Europe this fall.
Thanks in advance.

brwnsfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Genco
brwnsfan said:
Thanks,
I'm buying the 709 today.
My questions about internet streaming stem from a visit I had with an Integra dealer. He mentioned the Ethernet input on the Integra was only good for updates.
I have never owned a component that connects to the Internet so this confused me a little. Here come some stupid questions:
If they don't connect through the Ethernet port, then how do they connect? Wi-FI?
I was told there is a Wi-Fi adapter for the 30.3. Also for the 709? Do I need this for online services or just for playing things already on my desktop?
If these units are Internet streaming capable, then I do not need an add-on box to receive Pandora, etc?
For Netflix and streaming video, I will still need an Apple TV, Roku, etc?
It's obvious I have been at a standstill for awhile and need to catch up. Finally paid off the daughters college, time for new gear and a trip to Europe this fall.
Thanks in advance.
Correction.
After talking to an Accessories4Less rep, I was informed that they have had more Onkyos returned in the past 2-3 years than any other brand.
Maybe a Denon AVR 3311 or 3312?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That doesn't surprise me. I've also heard that their CS isn't the greatest either. But they have like 35% of the receiver market so you're going to get more returns and problems reported with them than any other brand.
Denon would be a better choice, or Marantz. I think the 2312 (and Marantz 6006) is the direct competetor of the 709. The 3312 is a step up but the 3311 is a year older so might not have the internet streaming, etc. you're looking for. BTW, I'm not really up on the latest internet streaming and Apple Apps, etc. I'm a core audio guy.
Newegg.com was selling the Pioneer 1121 new for $399 shipped a couple of months ago so real good deals can be found sometimes. But they sold out pretty quickly of course.
I just bought a refurbished Marantz SR5005 (and 7006 BR player, 4003 CD player) from ac4l and it looks and performs like new. The 3 or 5 year extended warrant might be a good idea though. Wish I had sprung for it.

pandaname

Auditioning
Real Name
huangda
so good !
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks